Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Oval Brake Drums
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

I see that Wolfsburg West is listing new front brake drums for oval window Bugs. Has anyone tried out a set? Are they correct in width and backing plate fittment details? Any other sources for this part?

While asking about oval window brake drums, is anybody making new correct rear drums? WW doesn't list those. I know it is easy to use '58-'67 because they only need the lip cut and the substitution doesn't change track width like front drums.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West says German made.
I suppose the brand is SEBRO, ask WW.
I live in Belgium and bought mine here :
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/front-axle-steering/front-suspension/4283/
Perfect fit, exact width, no modifications needed.

CSP in Germany has also the front brake drums made by SEBRO (up to 4 weeks delivery time).

http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_...0&all=

And also the rear brake drums (SEBRO??) with the holes for the oil slinger :

http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/front/shop_...0&all=

I have no experience with the rear drums but I suppose they will also fit without modifications.

Regards, Armand
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

That's a good tip on the rear drums!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

The front brake drums from WW were indeed SEBRO when I ordered them a while back. They are very nice and correct, no worries. For some reason WW lists the rear drums, but has not stocked them for a very long time.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

The rear brake drums are also SEBRO with the correct fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards, Armand
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

It is nice to see the drums are available new. I drive my oval. There seem to be more and more decent replacement parts for ovals, and older Bugs in general. I was thinking about swapping the brakes between my Mini-t ('64) and my oval because the buggy gets less miles and needs less brakes at 1200 lb.

Since I drive mine I've been keeping my eye out for some of the consumable parts as spares. I know where a set of original front brake drums are for sale "make offer." They are freshly turned and marked "9.085." That is a little over half way to max of 9.114 inches. What would be a reasonable offer?

Thanks everyone for this discussion, it is nice to learn what's available, or available again.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Oval Brake Drums Reply with quote

If they are VW drums I think a fair price would be $75-50 each.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: