Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hydrolock Summer...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Well, used a compressor on the evap lines front to back. Everything was clear from where the line turns towards the back of the car. BUT - the section going left to right from in front of the driver along the firewall to the front of the passenger side was clogged.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picture's not good, and I crushed the end of it trying to break off the clip holding the hard plastic line to it coming down from the evap canister in the cowl. I couldn't unclog it w/the compressor, so i'll try a wire this weekend. If I can't do that, I'll run an alternative line, perhaps steel tubing, or e-rated fuel line.

The hard brown plastic line that runs down from the cowl to the front hard line was also clogged where it joins the steel line. I was able to blow that line clear. There was no smell of gas in the gunk, more like corrosion. Until I repair, the tank will vent the old-fashioned way - down to the street in front of the driver.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Nice to know this can happen. But what a weird lot of shit you've been having, Victor. Geeze.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Nice to know this can happen. But what a weird lot of shit you've been having, Victor. Geeze.

Tim

Tell me about it. Good thing I dont live near a cliff. I had visions of pushing it over the edge and watching go up in a ball of flames on impact.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Tell me about it. Good thing I dont live near a cliff. I had visions of pushing it over the edge and watching go up in a ball of flames on impact.

Fortunately, my calmer side prevailed...for now. It's been one fuel-related issue after another:

- rotted, weepy and swollen hose between the tunnel and the engine bay
- fuel starvation - bakelite swelling and locking the fuel pump rod after the engine reaches operating temps
- replacing a possibly bad needle valve - 2x
- tried to install an electric fuel pump, couldn't get it not to leak, back to mechanical
- blowing up the replacement mechanical fuel pump
- replacing all of the hoses going to or from the tank and the filler and evap systems and successfully getting rid of the fuel smell, but effectively causing the system to be locked solid due to the plugged metal evap line along the front, resulting in pressurizing fuel into the engine twice this summer.

Fun times!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

I think cb performance has some good oe style pumps. witch reminded me I need to order some just incase they go the way of the rest of the good parts....china way. my pump is so old..... filter befor and 2 after to be sure shit dont get into the pump and one befor each carb to be sure if the pump takes a shit the carbs dont get a dose...and there the dreaded plastic filters so i can see the fuel&crap..well if there was any crap. I only use marine USCG approved filters.(west marine) not the .50 cetnts filters at the carshows.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

I forgot to add this: the plastic-encased charcoal canisters have a small sponge, located inside them. This sponge is just inside of the canister and is located just beyond the hose from up front. The OEM sponge is made of a very fine filtering, spongy material that, after so many miles, deteriorates and forms a clump.

The metal canisters may not have had this sponge. I've only done an r&r on the plastic ones that have a lid which you can carefully remove to get to all the stuff inside it.

When I first got my bug, the canister was missing, so I bought one from The Samba Classifieds. When I opened it, I noticed this quarter-size sponge at the bottom of the canister. The sponge was nothing but packed mush. So I removed it and got one of those green lawnmower air filters from ACE Hardware and cut a round piece of it to fit into the inner tube of the canister. I figured if oil didn't harm this filter material, fuel fumes wouldn't, either. I was correct.

I mention this, just in case you have a later '70's style charcoal canister--and the clearing of the line back to the canister doesn't stop your issue.

Good luck, Victor,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Tim, thanks for the info. I did confirm that the canister's not clogged. I disconnected the hose from it to the air cleaner and could feel air blowing thru is lightly at idle and then w/more pressure when I revved it up. Also - the line running down the passenger side was bone dry so this guy's been plugged probably since before I bought the car. Canister is also probably new and clean inside like the day I finished restoring it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Please take your charcoal canister out and inspect it, if it get contaminated by raw gas from over filling or gas expansion the charcoal pellets inside break loose and plug the lines to and from it. That is why it went whoosh when you loosened the fuel cap. The more common symptom of this problem is that the car runs out of fuel, starvation, on longer drives, I have repaired forty or so cases like this. David
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

The charcoal canister is fine, I confirmed that early on. The issue was the metal line that runs left to right across the front firewall, just above the master cylinder.

I finally got around to pulling it today. The first 8" or so on the driver side of the line were almost solidly clogged w/what I guess is decades of fuel varnish and line/tank corrosion. I used a pipe cutter to remove the 1/4" I crushed when separating from the plastic down line from the expansion chamber in the cowl. Then I put it in a vise and used 16 guage steel wire forced in until i was able to get it all the way thru the line.

Once I was able to run it thru a few times, I sprayed the crap out of it w/carb cleaner and brake cleaner until the fluids came out clear. Then I pushed thru the steel wire again. By this time it went much easier, and I sprayed it clean as well w/the wire in the tube until the wire came out clean w/out the brown varnish gunk.

I reinstalled the line, connected it to the plastic down line, cut a slightly longer soft line to join it w/the hard line running under the passenger side.

Evap system complete and clear!!

Now to see what happens on the next 90+ day....

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Well, days in the 90s have come and gone, no issues. Also drove to volksbash in Dover today, about 230 round-trip with temps in the mid to high 80s, no problems. I think I finally conquered this summer's gremlins! Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Victor. Who woulda thought?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydrolock Summer... Reply with quote

Hey thanks for getting back to us! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: