Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shaking front end
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Shaking front end Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Group,

I was taking my '56 sedan to a car show yesterday when something unusual happened. I would get a shaking in the front end that would come and go. I would be fine for 5-6 miles and then start shaking quite badly. It would calm down and be fine for 15-20 miles and then start again. It happens at highway speeds, 60-65, but not below 45mph.

Suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

Check for anything loose, if not shocks. Sounds like shocks to me.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

I adjusted the link pins and just came back from 30 mile test drive. Still shakes from time to time. Everything else seems tight.

Thanks for the suggestion on the shocks. I'll replace the fronts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

I bought a 1957 Oval last year and althgou it looks perfect it handled terribly. The first ride I came back white knuckles and gave it the name Widow Maker. So I went right to work on the front. Since we don't know the details of your car you have to start with the basics. If it's been stored for a while you may have flat spots in the tires. if the vibration comes and goes that tells me it has to do with the pitch of the road and weight shift of the car. if the King/Link pins have any play at all they can shift one wheel out of alignment on a certain road pitch while creating a vibration; then correct the alignment on another pitch to smooth out again. These effects get worse with old shocks or the lack of steering dampener; which I highly suggest. Wheel bearing play can cause the same exact effect of loose pins. Essentially you will get a toe-in or toe-out effect that cause the tires to fight towards or against each other (causing vibration). Loose drums or rotors along with a slight warp can lean a rotor or drum on the spindle to feel a tight then loose spot on a warped rotor/drum which will cause vibration that is also felt in the brake pedal. There are so many things that effect the steering on these older cars but one thing I can say is if you replace the shocks; do not put gas shocks on the fronts. KYB Oil or Koni Red's are the best.
Since my front end rebuild. Parts list is:
Narrowed beam
Disk brakes
Tightened King/Link pins (Reduces vibration and wander)
Tightened Rotors (Reduces vibration and wander)
Added steering stabilizer (Reduces vibration and unexpected lane shift)
Adjusted the steering box play (Reduces wander and unexpected lane shift)
Adjusted steering box location (reduces Bump Steer especially on narrowed beam cars)
Added two sets of caster shims and longer lower bolts (low and high speed straight line stability and reduces effects on 1&2)
3/4" Sway Bar
Has KYB Oil Shocks but purchased Koni's; waiting to go on.
Car drives great right now. Highway all day with one hand. No shimmy, shake, wander or vibration. But a little hard to turn with the caster shims.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips John.

It seems that after a 15 year slumber the tires are out of round.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

That reminds me of cold winter mornings driving with my Dad in our '57 with the original bias ply tires. It would take about five minutes at 30mph to get those nylon belts to work out their flat spots from sitting overnight. Not so much of a front end shimmy/shake, but a thumpety thump thump thump. There were usually one or two chunks of gravel stuck in the treads from the driveway that would get thrown out into the fenders with alacrity as well, making cheerful rattling noises as they found their way out onto the street.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

Ted2 wrote:
Thanks for the tips John.

It seems that after a 15 year slumber the tires are out of round.

Are they bias plies? They might go back into shape.
I had that happens when I had a car sit for 1-2 years.
Not sure about 15 years, they might be wasted.

On the other hand I would make sure the tires are not cracking on the sides AT ALL.
I had a Notchback with old radials and the rear end would shake and the gear shift would vibrate around 55-60 mph.
I couldn't find anything wrong... until one tire basically exploded into a million pieces at freeway speeds.
The tires looked new (deep tread) but when I looked really closely I could see some minor cracking.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksboy57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaking front end Reply with quote

My 57 is shaking pretty badly around 50mph, and has only started since getting disc brakes installed at my local shop. I took the car back, and they couldn't find the source of the problem but verified the shake. They had a shop balance the tires, and that didn't help much.
I can't tell if the shake is in the front or elsewhere.
Does your car have the original beam, and front end components?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: