Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first barn find
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: My first barn find Reply with quote

My wife and I took a ride in the Virginia countryside last weekend (Waterford, VA). Met a lady who was admiring my'65 bug that was parked while we had lunch. She took me by the arm and said she wanted to show me something. A block away was an old red shop building (looked like a blacksmith shop). Inside were these....both the bug and the bus are '67 (at least I think they are because they both had '67 plates). It was pretty cool.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

I tend to agree with the '67 guess on the bus- as it has the backup lights. It has received a restoration of sorts- and I'd guess in the 90s- when Wolfgang Intl. stickers ended up in every splittie-owners rear window. The Maltese cross ages things too. The beetle is pretty neat to see too- it's refreshing to see Savannah beige in great shape.

When do you back for those juicy items (along with the TD) sir?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

My guess is with the collector plates and the other horses in that stable... It's not going to be cheap prying them from her hands. If they're even for sale.

But very cool space there.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

I wonder if that MG TD is a real one or one of the replicas based off the VW chassis and engine. It has a lot of the real ones parts however so I dare say it's a real MG. Or then again maybe not since they obviously are into VWs Very Happy

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

The rear view mirrors (near windshield not the wing mount) on the MG look VW.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

More of a hoarder than anything. People like this should be shot. Poor cars just want to go for a ride. All locked up and shit.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

I can't afford a halfway decent bus and these people have one just rotting away. Should just give it to me Laughing At least then it'll get used and loved.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in these cars, I can put you in touch with the lady who showed them to me. She is a friend of the owner. I'd be willing to pay another visit to take photos if you find that he is a willing seller.

PM me if interested.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

These don't look like they are "rotting away" or being "hoarded" at all. They aren't even dusty. This just looks like someone with a little collection of cars.

Be careful creeping around someone's garage. Some people are very protective of their stuff.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

No creeping around involved here....I was just offering that if anyone wants to get in touch with the owner, I can help arrange.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
I can't afford a halfway decent bus and these people have one just rotting away.

Yeah, soon there'll be nothing left of them. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
More of a hoarder than anything. People like this should be shot. Poor cars just want to go for a ride. All locked up and shit.

Wow.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
I can't afford a halfway decent bus and these people have one just rotting away. Should just give it to me Laughing At least then it'll get used and loved.

Yes, in fact the government should take them away & give them to someone who wants them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:

I agree that the cars like to be driven and enjoyed, but they are all safe and dry. The ones that piss me off are like the guy with the 71 Super a couple miles from me. Was a really nice car at one time. Been sitting outside unmoved for at least 5 or more year....(probably quite a few more). Its a southern or western car. Still real solid, but the rubbers are starting to crack and deteriorate so water will start leaking inside, surface rust is getting worse and I have made several attempts with fair offers.... Sad
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

In case you missed it in the photo, there is a California Duster on the roof of the bus, so at least there is some evidence that these cars are receiving some level of attention and have not been abandoned to rot away.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My first barn find Reply with quote

many people dont live that well Wink and for me the vw's would be the last thing I would be looking at Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: