Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

MIGHT be moving to Southern California. Open to any area south of the grape vine really. But ideally I would like the San Diego area. Is there anywhere down there where I can get a 2-3 bedroom for $1500 or so a month and not live in the ghetto?

All I can do is look on Craigslist, Zillow, etc. just wondering if anyone knew of anything or maybe any local property management places that have rentals. I don't mind going down there for a weekend to look at stuff. Just don't want to be driving around aimlessly.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

Southern California is a pretty big area LOL
you'll need to be more specific.
Most places have good and bad areas, so if you can pin it down that would help.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

I know I know. I was born down there and have visited a lot so I kind of know the areas. Like I said I'm open to pretty much anywhere as long as it's a nice area and not $3000 a month like 90% of the stuff down there. I don't want to worry about my bug getting stolen on the street. I want my kids to go to a good school. Just stuff like that.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

Rents are outrageous in the L.A. and S.D. areas. The further from city centers you get the less expensive, but even the far 'burbs are insane. You may be lucky to find a 1 BR for $1500 in a nice area. If you want secured parking and 2-3 BR then I'm afraid you are looking at $2K or more. You might find an exception, and maybe a multi-family house rental could work if you trust the other folks... kids make that harder. Good luck, though!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

No

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

Probably looking at the IE at this point. Rentals, especially "cheap" rentals, are getting pretty hard to find unless you plan on a commute. Good luck with your search--seriously.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

Are you working or retired? That may limit you geographically and maybe we can advise more specifically.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

I just rented one of my apartments in the IE (Riverside) 3 bed 1 bath no garage, built in 1960. Its decent inside new cabinets, granite on the counter tops, new paint and carpet. It has A/C. It is an "ok" neighborhood near the redevelopment area by La Sierra College. I advertised it for $1250/mo plus $1500 security deposit. I had at least 100 people inquire about it in the first 4-5 days. It went quick at $1250.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

The San Clemente/ Dana Point area is quite nice. My son has a two BR, two bath, tiny garage bungalow that he rents out.
$3500-$4000/month.
I can't afford to visit. Crying or Very sad
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

Whats the matter with Modesto?

it has all the things most of the Southland has..traffic,crime, poor air quality and enough methamphetamine to last a lifetime...and the rent is cheap too..
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Whats the matter with Modesto?

it has all the things most of the Southland has..traffic,crime, poor air quality and enough methamphetamine to last a lifetime...and the rent is cheap too..

I hear the waves there suck.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
The San Clemente/ Dana Point area is quite nice. My son has a two BR, two bath, tiny garage bungalow that he rents out.
$3500-$4000/month.

Wow! You can rent a mansion - well, maybe not a mansion - but an extremely nice house around here for that. Going rate for nice neighborhood, nice house is about $1500-$2000. Over here on the east coast, we here about how expensive it is to live in California.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
$3500-$4000/month.

Wow! You can rent a mansion - well, maybe not a mansion - but an extremely nice house around here for that. Going rate for nice neighborhood, nice house is about $1500-$2000. Over here on the east coast, we here about how expensive it is to live in California.

Same prices here.

I believe Dana Point is sort of a rich area so not surprised the rents are high.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

same hear at the beach for the most part.but beater waves than arazonia Shocked
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
same hear at the beach for the most part.but beater waves than arazonia Shocked

not easy to understand you......
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
$3500-$4000/month.

Same prices here.

I believe Dana Point is sort of a rich area so not surprised the rents are high.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that area as an option for Cali Army Guy. The prices are nuts, but a lot of them are vacation properties. In mid-July when it is 126 degrees in Phoenix or Vegas or Palm Springs, folks will pay crazy money to get 75 degrees overlooking the ocean. Wintertime------not so much.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
EverettB wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
$3500-$4000/month.

Same prices here.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that area as an option for Cali Army Guy. The prices are nuts, but a lot of them are vacation properties. In mid-July when it is 126 degrees in Phoenix or Vegas or Palm Springs, folks will pay crazy money to get 75 degrees overlooking the ocean. Wintertime------not so much.

I am sure you know this but I'm going to point it out anyway:
Vacation rental costs are not the same rents as month-to-month.

Also - Google search says it's never been 126 in Phoenix. Or Vegas. Or Palm Springs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
iowegian wrote:
EverettB wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
$3500-$4000/month.

Same prices here.

Also - Google search says it's never been 126 in Phoenix. Or Vegas. Or Palm Springs.

Obviously I made up that number. Embarassed
Google tells me that the highest recorded temperature in Phoenix was only 122 on 6/26/1990.(I'm not sure about Vegas or Palm Springs)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

Quote:
Same prices here.

Dana Point, in my opinion is one of the lower priced coastal areas. It will get more expensive as you continue to go north all the way up the coast. So, perhaps a "rich area" but not on the California coast scale of rich areas.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cheap" apartment/house in Southern California? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
EverettB wrote:
iowegian wrote:
EverettB wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:
iowegian wrote:
$3500-$4000/month.

Same prices here.

Obviously I made up that number. Embarassed
Google tells me that the highest recorded temperature in Phoenix was only 122 on 6/26/1990.(I'm not sure about Vegas or Palm Springs)

Maybe, but that's why the I-8 caravans from the dez to San Diego start in May and AZ (and NV) tagged cars overrun the SoCal coastal areas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: