Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Balljoint
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oebgronin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Balljoint Reply with quote

So I was driving home when I hear a very loud noise and the front of the bug dropped, I get down to inspect and find that the lower ball joint snapped and get out of position, lucky me I was carrying a chain of about 60 cm, go to the nearest hardware store and buy a bolt, nut and some shims, using the car jack get the balljoint back in position and using the chain and the bolt I pull the arms together until the balljoint assembles again, pull the arms even more so the balljoint didn't snap again and get back home.

When replaced the balljoints the mechanic told me that this is often used by the taxi drivers in Mexico (where there are still VW bugs as cabs) in a permanent way to prolong the life of the ball joints.

What do you think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Balljoint Reply with quote

if your insurance company is not based in Mexico City, I would venture it is not a good idea. your lawyer will not like you if you do this.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Balljoint Reply with quote

Bueno! I had to do that a few months back with a ratchet strap to get home.
The idea of leaving it full time is not a good one as it will limit your wheel travel and eventually break the chain.
oebgronin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Balljoint Reply with quote

I don't have insurance, is not mandatory in Mexico, also this was only to get home, as soon as the balljoints were replaced the chain was removed and is ready for another emergency
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Balljoint Reply with quote

Good fix to get home.

But it is one reason why it can be dangerous to ride a Taxi in Mexico. Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Balljoint Reply with quote

In Turkey they operate on the theory that the taxicab would not be in that spot at that time if you had not told the driver to go where you need to be when you got in. therefore, it is your fault that the taxicab ran over that chicken.

you owe the farmer for that chicken, every egg it would have laid, every chick it would have produced, and all the eggs they would have laid, for 5 generations

every chicken hit by a taxicab in Turkey is the grand champion chicken of all Turkey. on a busy day two dozen grand champion chickens of all Turkey get run over.

when you take a cab in Turkey:
no identification on the luggage you may need to abandon.
you negotiate the price in advance. you count out the cash and put it on the seat under your palm. if you get into an accident, leave the fare on the seat and run. dodge, weave, serpentine, run down alleys, run through buildings.

makes a Tijuana Taxi ride look tame.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: