Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

Didn't want to start a new thread . I was looking at the rusted pan . Anyone know what year VW added the 2 U shaped channels close to the front beam which end past the middle , they are on the right and left side about 10" in from the rockers?
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread . I was looking at the rusted pan . Anyone know what year VW added the 2 U shaped channels close to the front beam which end past the middle , they are on the right and left side about 10" in from the rockers?

'69, Dude! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
itsdavestone wrote:
ataraxia, it does start a little rough, you're probably on to something. I gotta get that Bentley manual sooner rather than later.

If your coil is oriented properly - the wire for the right side choke would go on the open spade connector.

Since it's warm right now - you could disconnect the left choke (either remove the wire completely or put electrical tape over it) and adjust them so they don't interfere with the carburetors...but it's best to have it all hooked up properly.

Ataraxia, or anyone that might know, I've been looking around online for a right choke, and I see 12Volt and 6Volt chokes, but only the 6Volts ever seem to be designated Right or Left. The 12Volts never seem to be Right or Left, but I know my Fasty is 12Volt, so I'm scratching my head here.

Does 6V or 12V matter here?
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice car. I was reading the thread so I thought I would mention:

I have one of those fan shroud lids for sale if you need one
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1935824

Got the shroud cover on and with a new seal, cleaned up pretty nice, thanks sending it so fast!
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

6v vs 12v does matter.

They should have "li" for left or "re" for right stamped on them. All of my 12v chokes have this stamping. You sure they're for dual carbs? If the choke is for a single carb it probably doesn't have left or right on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
6v vs 12v does matter.

They should have "li" for left or "re" for right stamped on them. All of my 12v chokes have this stamping. You sure they're for dual carbs? If the choke is for a single carb it probably doesn't have left or right on it.

I must be seeing only 12Volts for single carbs then. I'll get a better look at mine.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what you should see for proper 12 volt chokes for the PDSIT carburetors.

'li' is links (Left in German) and 're' is rechts (Right in German)
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

Got my NOS damper and tailpipe in the mail yesterday. Bolted it all on, but I'm lacking confidence that I did it right. The connection at the damper doesn't seem secure or very well sealed. She's a lot quieter though, less "throaty"...

I gotta order that Bentley manual already so I'm not left in the dark.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

The fiber gasket should be inside of the clamp halves - so it's not done right based on your picture.

The bolts on the clamp look like they're bent due to being overtorqued.

You probably should get a new clamp/hardware - PM me if you need them. I've also got the chokes if you're tired of looking for them.

Last edited by ataraxia on Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

...and you are missing the beveled ring that helps hold the fiber ring in place.
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not too surprised I boned it. I do have the bevel ring, its on the wrong side of the gasket. (...did I mention I'm very dumb sometimes...)

Now I whipped up this drawing to help clarify, does this look correct?

There is a small about of lip at the end of the muffler pipe, just past a small ridge, but it seems to small to get the clamp around and the gasket, and the bevel, and still catch the lip, that's why I thought that perhaps what I did was correct. So the clamp is intended to go around the bevel, gasket, and catch the lip of the muffler pipe?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

itsdavestone wrote:
So the clamp is intended to go around the bevel, gasket, and catch the lip of the muffler pipe?

Yes.
itsdavestone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
itsdavestone wrote:
So the clamp is intended to go around the bevel, gasket, and catch the lip of the muffler pipe?

Yes.

I actually have a newer clamp, I was only using the old rusty guy because it was a touch larger and easier to get into place (incorrectly though...) Thanks for help guys!

Stay tuned for more stupid goofs like this! For years to come!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Total newbie buys a 67 Fasty! Mostly in over my head! Reply with quote

itsdavestone wrote:
Now I whipped up this drawing to help clarify, does this look correct?

No, not really. The damper (resonator) pipe doesn't end with a trumpet flare. It is smooth and extends into the muffler. The only flare is on the exit flange of the muffler.

Ignore the O2 bung welded here; the end is plain and extends into the muffler when installed.

This may help:

I have always had to smear muffler sealant on that joint. Otherwise they always leak. I put some on the resonator (where the inside surface of the donut will sit), and smear the donut with it as well (on the face that hits the muffler trumpet flange), in order to take up any gap. Tighten that clamp AFTER you tighten the bolt on the elbow's tab where it connects to the muffler.

There is a lot of slop and sometimes the several parts don't quite play well together. I end up dry-fitting them, marking where they fit together, and sometimes filing a larger oval in the elbow tab, all to make it fit as tightly as it can dry, then still use the sealant.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: