Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I just got this 71 camper from a friend in exchange for some Paintless Dent Repair on his 65 Guia. He got it from someone else a year ago and did not touch it. The body is very solid but it looks like it sat outside all these years and water ran down the floor causing some rust, which I will need to take care.

The front floors look very solid with some light rust and pin holes. The rear floor, specially the space between the front seats going back to the rear have some heavier rust with some larger holes. My question is, would it better to cut the rusted rear floor areas and replace with complete panels or does it look like something that can be patched and conserve the current floor? I think the front floor is repairable without needing to be replaced. Are those access plates underneath each side welded to the frame?
This is my 1st bay window and I want to turn it into a nice driver.
Thank you for the advice!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

You have a Westfalia bus with a nice exterior patina. It would be nice to preserve the patina and just restore the interior of your bus.

I would suggest that you remove all the interior cabinets, bed & seats so that you can see the whole floor area. Then do your probing on the extent of the rust. Check the rear wheel wells if there is rust holes in them because water can get into your floor through those when you are driving on a rainy day. Hang a bright light on the roof of the bus and then go underneath the bus. If your view of the floor looks like a star-filled sky on a clear evening, then you know you it is time to replace the floor.

The front floor seemed to still be in good shape with a few small spots that you can patch up with fresh metal.

Be careful when you pull out the cabinets because the bottom section might have weakened due to water damage. Good luck.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
"Rust free" means Rust is FREE. The rest is junk.
dentfreeimage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice, it defenetly gives me a starting point on how to tackle the repairs. As far as the wheel opening goes they are rock solid, I believe they only have surface rust.

Are the floor belly covers welded to the floor? Just trying to figure out how to access the bottom of the floors. I am not a patina guy, even do it looks pretty cool. My plans are to strip it down to bare metal, which should not be hard since it has never been painted and it is now sitting on the factory primer since the paint has faded away and paint it the original color.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

The belly pans are not welded to the floor. The above picture Is the area above the belly pan of my 1971 Westy.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

but how do they come off? lol

Glad you started this thread. I'm starting my 68 too. Pulled out the cabinets and the floor to see where I'm at. My rear cargo hatch seal was bad, so I have a lot of rust in the back. The spare tire bucket has large holes.

Bright side is my battery trays are rock solid.

I'll be following your progress.

My 1968 Campmobile
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

As you can see in the picture, one end of the belly pan is welded to the chassis & the other end to the bottom tip of the outer rocker. The front & back end of the belly pan are welded to the outriggers.

You have to drill out the weld spots of the pan for you to take them out.
1971 Deluxe bus
1969 Bus
1962 Bug
1963 Bug
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Camper Parked for 24 Years Rust on Floors! Reply with quote

Wow. Really?
What were those Germans thinking? lol

hmmmm... if I take them off, they will BOLT back on.

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: