Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accessing engine deck lid under air vents
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

Can the engine deck lid be removed to expose the section under the vertical air vent slots? Over spray during the painting process covered part of the under layer and I need to gain access to this layer for complete spraying.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

yes, but not without drilling a lot of spot welds and un-crimping the perimeter of the decklid.
Probably easier to slide in your sandpaper and move it with a paint stick through the vents, time consuming and tedious. Handling this area post paint wont be simple. How bad is the overspray? Is it a second color? Is it that bad? Pics?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Lorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

Overspray, not too bad, but enough to make me unhappy. I might try some lacquer thinner spread very carefully so as not to mess up the good paint.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

Or you can do what I'm doing and slip a piece of 3M vinyl car wrap over it.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
yes, but not without drilling a lot of spot welds and un-crimping the perimeter of the decklid.
Probably easier to slide in your sandpaper and move it with a paint stick through the vents, time consuming and tedious. Handling this area post paint wont be simple. How bad is the overspray? Is it a second color? Is it that bad? Pics?

I have just removed the skin on my engine lid and there are were no spot welds, you just need the special de-skinning and re-skinning tools. But if you have already painted it and only want to paint inside the louvres this is not a good idea because you will scratch and chip the paint.
Lorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

I think the 3M vinyl wrap sounds the best, I'm not looking to make this a huge project. How conformal is the vinyl wrap?
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Accessing engine deck lid under air vents Reply with quote

Lorn wrote:
I think the 3M vinyl wrap sounds the best, I'm not looking to make this a huge project. How conformal is the vinyl wrap?

As you can imagine that it is pliable enough to conform to any body conture on a car. You can shape and streach it just about any way you want and the best part it that it can take the heat. Just make sure the surface is clean. Just while the area with paint prep spray first and let it dry.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: