Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber Mat Quality
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z00mie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

1963 Beetle pilot here and I'm looking for a set of rubber floor mats, the three pieces VW originally placed in their car. I've got a set of WW ones (still in the box) which are OK/useable but pretty poorly done (crappy embossing/texture, voids and cut out instead of molded to size. Does anyone know of another aftermarket manufacturer of mats that are done somewhat better? I've got my eye on a set of NOS VW black ones a friend has but it would be a waste in my oft used old beetle (and they ain't cheap). You guys have better experience with any of the other big box V-dub shops or possibly VEWIB, or is everyone else just selling WW's stuff?
bowserb61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Funny, I've been pouring hours into this exact same thing in the last few days for 56-59 floor mats. The WW ones are nowhere near reproduction quality, and everyone I've talked to in the US, UK, and Germany are all selling the same ones. This is what 58/59 owners have to work with from WW for grey floor mats:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I even talked with Marcus from Wagenmanufaktur to see if he would be interested in making some, since he has had certain mats made for ovals. He basically said not unless someone puts up the €16k for tooling up a run.

I don't know if it's the same story for your 63 mats, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was similar. Looks like CIP1 has something, but no mention of who makes it. Maybe someone else can comment on quality. Vewib might make something, but so far I haven't found anyone who sells their stuff in the US.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Unfortunately, stock or WW are your current best choices. I had to fiddle with a WW tunnel mat for quite some time to brave the right cutout for the shifter. The parking brake was fine- but if I had followed the embossing marks and cut blindly on the shifter and heater knob- I would been pretty upset.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Drats! Soooo disappointed to read this...I purchased a pile of WW parts for a '68 convertible and they were top-notch pieces.

I'd planned on buying these rubber mats for my '65...now I learn that WW has cheaped out and fallen flat on their faces with this mat repro (insert "crying" emoticon with tears right here).

What a drag. I'd just as soon carpet it and keep the cabin quieter now.
Z00mie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

I contacted a really nice gent with "Lane Russell" with questions on theirs also. I too think most are pedaling the same product...
I did order a set of foul weather mats from CIP1. They were WEGU embossed with VW 1200, 1300 and right and left in German. They also had free shipping! They are nice if you want the heavyweight cover-the-flooring mats!
I'm curious?, Has anyone ordered actual floor coverings that were verifiably Vewib. Their offerings are sometimes nicer than the run-of-the-mill stuff. I suppose that everyone, including WW could be selling Vewib. However Vewib only sells black as far as I can tell and WW does grey with the WW logo embossed...
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

You guys make it sound like the Wolfsburg West mats are total crap. Thats not true. They may not be 100% but not much is. Here is a picture of the 66 Bug I restored using their grey mats.

Z00mie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Bryan67, nope, not at all brother! WW's are good quality (for the price)! Just a bit of tweaking and QC, they could be excellent though! I'd be willing to pay for a better version if someone sold them.

Slick looking work there Bye the way (gulf blue?)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Here is a picture of the 66 Bug I restored using their grey mats.

Indeed, based on this pic, your restoration is beautiful. It's hard to tell on my monitor, I'm guessing Sea Blue, since you "restored" it.

I based my previous comments on bowserb61's pic, and the difference in thickness. Upon further examination (and assuming the mat on the left is a VW mat), it's clear that the mat on the left has a "flange," so to speak, which gives it the appearance of being thicker. I'd be curious to know what the actual thickness of the mat cross-section is, such as may be determined with a mic or something, or a pic showing the comparison where the VW mat may be torn and the actual mat thickness is evident...it's hard to tell based on bowser's pic, since that flangey edge obstructs the view of the mat thickness.

Has anyone noticed how tiny Taco Bell's portions have gotten over the last few years??? "Product Downsizing." I think I'll stay home and craft my own tacos Laughing
bowserb61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

That 66 mat looks great. If I could get something like that on my floors I would be thrilled. I've got the WW tunnel mat and it's made from the same material as your mat in the picture, some kind of flat vinyl rubber. It looks exactly like the original.

Then for some reason on the floor they decided to go with open molded silicone. That's why there's a flange on the edge; it's the meniscus formed by pouring silicone into a mat shaped tray.

The original Phoenix mats are 1/16" thick. They are heavy black rubber underneath, like a bike tire patch or the inside of a rubber boot, with grey/anthracite rubber on top. The WW ones are twice as thick in the middle, about 1/8" and are solid silicone with that 1/4" flange around the edge. I don't think they would drive me half as crazy if they were at least the right color.

The floor mat is WW, the firewall is original VW/Phoenix, and the tunnel is WW.

Sorry for the threadjack Z00mie.
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

WW. If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Z00mie wrote:
Bryan67, nope, not at all brother! WW's are good quality (for the price)! Just a bit of tweaking and QC, they could be excellent though! I'd be willing to pay for a better version if someone sold them.

Slick looking work there Bye the way (gulf blue?)

Yeah, there is room for improvement for sure. But for now, they are the only game in town. Thanks for the compliments. Here`s another shot of my 66. It was actually L360 Sea Blue. There are more pictures in my gallery.

Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

At least all you LHD folks have a product you can grizzle about...
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber Mat Quality Reply with quote

Indeed, there's no RHD mats available from WW and they have no plans to produce these.

To try and get the front mats as original as I could I ended using a lhd Mat, cutting around the pedals etc on the driver's side which kind of looks ok. The passenger side was more difficult. I kept the orange peel border that runs around the footrest and carefully cut out new pieces from another lhd floor mat. There's a joint line in the floor but it was the best I could do. Might post some pics tomorrow.

Carpets and coir mats are not an option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: