Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesbrady12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

I drive my '66 beetle everyday pretty much and have put 9000 miles on it since I bought it in 2012. I've gotten stuck 2X. Once was a stripped drum spline which, had I known more about cars I would have addressed sooner. The other was a snapped clutch cable and I didn't have a spare. Short answer from my perspective, they are fine as daily drivers but have AAA just in case. I got mine because I wanted to learn more about working on cars and, boy, did I learn but that's also part of the fun of having one of these cars.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

Moderator says:
Some BS removed, please stay on the topic, don't insult others, and don't bring BS from other threads into this one.

Thank you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
john1910 wrote:
You know I think I have my answer ... now all I have to so is find a bug in good shape.

Awesome! Glad all this was helpful to ya . . . and that ya didn't get scared-off!
Welcome to the Samba!

FWIW . . . I drive my '70 Bug quite regularly, but it does get some time off on occasions when I drive my '68 C-10.
I found it on The Samba classifieds 35 months ago and, to me, my Beetle is worth TEN TIMES what I paid for it! I LOVE driving it!

So, now that you've decided to purchase, whachagonna gonna get? Early?
Late model? Super? Flat/rounded windshield?
Drive several if you're able and see which you think will weather the 80 mile commute for drivability and comfort.
And, as always, have fun.
Iligitimi non-carborundum

Rev.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Horance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
apensity wrote:
But the LOOK! Ahhhh mannnnn... Cool
[img]

Awwww yeeeaaahhhhh! There are different levels of "kits" out there though… Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK that has got me beat, the worst dist break job I ever saw was the pad in backwards but no pads and just caliper to disk...OK this proves one thing, you can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

mine is a daily driver, the only car I own.Ive put well over 140000 miles on it with very little issues.no more than most any other car. and less than most. my wife drives it to work when her honda wont do it.,my bug has been used for school buss, grocery getter fun ride,transportation,and pretty much everything else a car is used for as far as I know of. if you have a problem with a car it usually isant the cars fault. the only think mine lacks is no AC and isant as pretty as it once was....but who is.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

john1910 wrote:
You know I think I have my answer, the answer must be yes cause they are a good number of people on here who do it . Thanks guys .. now all I have to so is find a bug in good shape

Good on you, John! And welcome to the Samba! So, you've been a member for three whole days as of now. Have you figured out how bat-shit crazy some of us are yet?

Good luck and may I be the first to pre-congratulate you on your forthcoming purchase of a fine automobile!
john1910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

I don't know what I'm getting for sure yet I like the safety improvements in the 1970s models but I like the ways the 60s look better .. so I'm probably gonna look at those too first. any suggestions?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

john1910 wrote:
I don't know what I'm getting for sure yet I like the safety improvements in the 1970s models but I like the ways the 60s look better .. so I'm probably gonna look at those too first. any suggestions?

In my limited experience-------the newer it is, the more it drives (and rides) like a real car instead of an antique amusement.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

I tend to agree. The differences are pretty clear to me- having a weekly changeup between the '71, the '62 and the camper. Each one drives differently. It's easier for me to take the safety and handling improvements of the '71 for granted. It simply stops better, handles curves better and runs faster than the '62. The silly confidence of a padded dash seems to help too. If I were forced by the government to have only one stock beetle and I had to drive it daily- it would be a '71 and up. 1600DP, dual circuit brakes, parts readily available, better ventilation, yada yada.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

I had a '64 that I restored, and slightly modified with drop spindles and a 1600dp rather than the factory style 1200, dual circuit master cylinder. Drove great and was a real neck breaker. But when it came time to downsize I chose my '72 super for the same reasons hitest gives for prefering his '71.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
john1910 wrote:
You know I think I have my answer, the answer must be yes cause they are a good number of people on here who do it . Thanks guys .. now all I have to so is find a bug in good shape

Good on you, John! And welcome to the Samba! So, you've been a member for three whole days as of now. Have you figured out how bat-shit crazy some of us are yet?

Good luck and may I be the first to pre-congratulate you on your forthcoming purchase of a fine automobile!

Better question: he's been a member for 3 whole days, and he already knows more about whether a bug can be used as a daily driver than those of us who have been trying it for 45 years?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

john1910 wrote:

I took decent body with a complete interior,a roached transmission and engine and built a car I can drive anywhere,anytime.Those who cant build a dependable car lack the basic skills to do so..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
john1910 wrote:

Better question: he's been a member for 3 whole days, and he already knows more about whether a bug can be used as a daily driver than those of us who have been trying it for 45 years?

The length of membership on a site does not relate to this topic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

john1910 wrote:

Yes here's something to consider. Take that 60s car and put that body on a later IRS pan, say 74. Now you've got the look and a better ride. Maybe front discs,slightly lowered and narrowed up front. In back a IRS running bus CVs, type 3 brakes 3.88 ring and pinion. Powered by a 1776 single port, bulletproof,good power,good gas mileage,simple and relatively cheap to build. You could scrounge around and use spares for the swap meets. Classic . Very Happy
john1910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
john1910 wrote:

I NEVER calmed to know the answer hence why I asked it in the first place. I got the answer by looking at what others said when they replied to my question. No its not for every one but I think I can do it. You are the one who has constintly brought up stuff that was not even the topic of the form. I do however think you for your input.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
john1910 wrote:

Neither does an admin who just toes the line and takes the side of other members who insult me when I give an opinion. Like it or not Everett, you've NEVER been impartial to me posting on here whether or not my comments are based in real world experience and facts. You just fall in with the majority rule cause it's easier, whether or not its the RIGHT thing to do. I understand that being a website admin is a particularly difficult and thankless task, but let's not pretend for one second that you haven't just singled me out.

1600 SP engine
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

Let's be honest here, this a fun little conversation that goes nowhere in the end. We are all Beetles enthusiasts or we wouldn't be on this site so our views and opinions are "slightly" biased. Everyone's situation is different and all that plays into the decision on what kind of car you want as a daily driver. There is no right or wrong answer to this topic. It's all personal preference. How many of us said as kids we would NEVER own a mini van? Well, you get married and have kids and guess what, suddenly there is a mini van in your driveway. Life often dictates our choices.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

john1910 wrote:

I NEVER calmed to know the answer hence why I asked it in the first place. I got the answer by looking at what others said when they replied to my question. No its not for every one but I think I can do it. You are the one who has constintly brought up stuff that was not even the topic of the form. I do however think you for your input.

Say WHATT???

The question was whether one of these cars would make a good daily driver. I DIRECTLY answered that and said why, even using the phrase "would not make a good daily driver" at least 2 or 3 times.
Whether or not you want to completely ignore someone who has 4o years worth of experience on one of these cars they bought BRAND NEW (so as to dismiss any potential "previous owner" hacks") is up to you, but don't say I didn't answer your question. SEVERAL times in fact.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Let's be honest here, this a fun little conversation that goes nowhere in the end. We are all Beetles enthusiasts or we wouldn't be on this site so our views and opinions are "slightly" biased. Everyone's situation is different and all that plays into the decision on what kind of car you want as a daily driver. There is no right or wrong answer to this topic. It's all personal preference. How many of us said as kids we would NEVER own a mini van? Well, you get married and have kids and guess what, suddenly there is a mini van in your driveway. Life often dictates our choices.

I'll go along with this, especially the first sentence, which begs the question why was it ever brought up in the first place. The OP already had his mind made up.

1600 SP engine
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: is daily driving a classic beetle a good idea? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Floating VW wrote:
john1910 wrote:

Neither does an admin who just toes the line and takes the side of other members who insult me when I give an opinion. Like it or not Everett, you've NEVER been impartial to me posting on here whether or not my comments are based in real world experience and facts. You just fall in with the majority rule cause it's easier, whether or not its the RIGHT thing to do. I understand that being a website admin is a particularly difficult and thankless task, but let's not pretend for one second that you haven't just singled me out.

Wow Steve. Nice going! Insult the Admin of this valuable resource. You rock! Your 100% correct that these cars are un-reliable. They suck as a commuter car. Infact I'm thinking of putting mine up for the rest of my life. I mean after all, when I get up in the morning and go out to my DD ACVW it just starts right up and gives me a spirited morning drive to work. Yeah it has it's issues. But I adapt.
Your Dad bought that car NOT YOU. So while you can continue carrying the torch for your family car. There is no need to flame everyone else that has a satisfied experience with theirs. You didn't buy or maintain it until it was given to you. So things happen that are out of your control. But they are reliable. Yours is not. You have a problem that is mystifying all of us. Maybe it's time to trailer to Ca to a reputable mechanic that can sort out your perceived over heating issues.
But for the love of GOD. Please stop bashing other peoples successes with their ACVW's
Have a nice day!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: