Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

This is for a 74 Late Bay Camper.
I recently got hold of a set of Mercedes Vito(?) rims with some decent rubbers. Bolta pattern, ET and hub size seems to be all good. But as always, how long does the wheel studs need to be?

The original front wheel studs seems to be 60 mm long in their full length. The rear seems to be 34 mm. These are good for the steel rims. But these are alloys. The rim is about 20 mm thick at the bolt holes.

My Bus is far away from where I am right now, so I could really need some help with measurements. I need to know how thick the hubs and the drums and discs are. That way, I can calculate if I can use the front original studs (rear is a no go), or if I need to buy new studs for all four wheels. I'll also know the length needed when buying new studs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
I believe this has been covered in the Bay section. I recall someone using long 12mm studs that replaced the VW 14mm hardware.
Bill
GuruX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

Thanks rockerarm!

I found some 70 mm long studs for a decent price, so I ended up ordering them. I'll take the hacksaw if they are way too long. I bought them from a Swedish site, but I guess they can be found around the world. They are from Studdard and the article no is NLA-331-671-01

http://dalhems.com/sv/p/e2aa933d28864ddb9331a57d010c8421/hjulbult-M14x15-70mm-lang
And Instagram
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

How did you get the studs in? Any pointers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GuruX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

Turns out the studs wasn't as cheap as I thought. The price was for one stud, even though the page said the price was for ten. They wanted to send me nine more for no charge, but I declined, thought it was too generous. I'm happy enough with a refund.

But I started transferring the studs from the front hub to the back hub. First heated the front hub, then cooled the stud with ice water. The stud popped out with a hammer.

I put the loose stud in the freezer, heated the rear hub and then was really quick to the get the stud out of the freezer into the hub. I used quite a lot of washers and the wheel nut to pull the stud into the hub.
And Instagram
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

Aktually i have the same Mercedes rims as you. Thinking they would look good on my 75 DOKA. So just to be sure what your doing. You are Mowing the front studs to the rear drums, because they are longer. And Then you need to find some long 14mm/70mm studs that dont cost 135 skr each.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GuruX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay: thickness of hub and drum/disc Reply with quote

Yes elpres. That's right. Longer studs from the front moved to the back and I'm most likely getting 65mm studs for the front. The new ones I have found are 38 skr each, so that's 380 skr for the front. I guess I'll get an extra as spare also.
http://www.classicvw.se/pinnbult-bromstrumma-t2-71...ts_id/3763
And Instagram
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: