Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Normal Voltage Drop?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

I did look through various threads but didn't find this particular info. What is the normal voltage drop when headlights are turned on? In testing my voltage with the car running and no lights on, there is 6.2-6.4 to 30 on the light switch. Coming back out 58b to the fuse is good at 6.2. If I turn the lights on, with the car running, the voltage going into 30 drops to 5.8. Same coming back out on 58b. 58 however, drops down to 5.4 Is this normal? I'm pretty certain I have some cleaning to do, but trying to determine what is considered a normal drop when something goes through a switch or when the lights or other accessories are on?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

For these readings to mean anything you need to factor out the battery drop in voltage when you turn on the lights. A good solid system is not going to loose more than 1/2 a volt though. Probably need to check your voltages relative to the neg battery post with the car not running too. Some of the voltage drop could be on the grounding side. Make some comparisons.

Last edited by Danwvw on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I did look through various threads but didn't find this particular info. What is the normal voltage drop when headlights are turned on? In testing my voltage with the car running and no lights on, there is 6.2-6.4 to 30 on the light switch. Coming back out 58b to the fuse is good at 6.2. If I turn the lights on, with the car running, the voltage going into 30 drops to 5.8. Same coming back out on 58b. 58 however, drops down to 5.4 Is this normal? I'm pretty certain I have some cleaning to do, but trying to determine what is considered a normal drop when something goes through a switch or when the lights or other accessories are on?

normal but not ideal. you have lost a volt before you have gotten to the headlights Id clean up all the connections and see what you get. what is the voltage at the head lamp to the ground lead at the headlamp?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Ok. I get having to test the drop at the battery. Makes sense. If the drop is equivalent to what I'm getting to the switch then I know I'm pretty clean between those points. I also what you're saying BB. I don need to clean the switch terminals and the connectors. I'll do that and see what my reading are after checking the V drop at the battery then check the other readings at the headlight.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

You will need to solder up these to get rid of voltage drops in these:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=headlight+switch+rebuild

And

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Fuse box is brand new so I'm actually not losing anything through the fusebox. I had planned on taking the light switch out when I pull the wiper motor out at some point.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Fuse box is brand new so I'm actually not losing anything through the fusebox. I had planned on taking the light switch out when I pull the wiper motor out at some point.

i rebuilt my head lamp switch, pried it apart and cleaned and retension the contacts, a gave them a coat of dielectric silicone grease to reduce wear. prior to that the switch had such a big drop that the knob shaft would get hot to the touch. now it stays cool and the lights are much brighter. new fuses can help too old fuses get corroded, you could clean them, but new ones are so cheap, i just replaced them with new.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

The quickest test is to get the car running at a fast idle and turn everything on. Start at the battery and work forward, measuring the voltage after each connection. No drop is ideal and unrealistic. Small drops are expected, the headlights tend to be the biggest ones. You should have only a fraction of a volt loss total between the output side of the headlight fuses and the battery voltage, certainly well over 6 volts with a running engine. This same test applies at the coil, and the brake lights and...

If you have a "map" of the actual voltage at different points I'm sure someone will point out the bad ones. Basically, the less the load the less the acceptable voltage drop. I'd do this all at once for one baseline of voltage losses.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Even brand new the fuse box has a huge flaw of loose pieces of brass in each slot. VW finally fixed that in 1968 when all the pieces in each side of each fuse was spot welded together.

Have seen some folks have a problem with the OG fuse box melting due to the voltage resistance. Replace with new box and a few months later the same problem happens. Worst yet the new fuse boxes seem to be made of plastic with lower melting temp than the OG ones....
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Ok. I'll put this somewhere on the to do list that is unfortunately getting longer and longer😂
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Eventually the list will get shorter. Just try to get a few things done per week.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Eventually the list will get shorter. Just try to get a few things done per week.

Yep. Just need to get the right motivation and time.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Ok. So to diagnose if there is possibly a bad switch... I am getting 6.4 volts to fuse 8 and this is translating to 6.4 to 30 (measured on both sides), if I ground the VM on a common ground and clip the alligator clip to post 50 on the ignition without the load of the starter solenoid and turn the key, I am getting 6.0volts out of the switch. If I put the wire to the solenoid back on to post 50 and clip the VM to the fitting and turn the key, I get a momentary reading of about 5 volts... Does this indicate a bad switch or is the solenoid taking that much draw? If its drowing that much, does that indicate something is most likely bad at the solenoid which is drawing too much? I also did a point to point measurement between 30 and 50 when cranking and got a reading of 1.3. Not sure what this info is telling me?

*Edit - Would the way to indicate if this is a voltage drop vs draw to measure across the battery when cranking and comparing the amount of draw when cranking at the ignition?

**Edit- Measuring across the battery I am getting 6.4 volts. When I put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the first position, I see draw at the battery of .04. If I turn the key to the cranking position, I see the voltage drop to about 5.8-5.9. Is this telling me that there is something wrong with the ignition that it is drawing an additional .8-.9+ volts? Crappy switch?

***Edit - If I clip to a common ground and measure at 30. Initially a reading of 6.4v. Drops to 6.32 with key to first position and drops to 5 -5.4 when cranking. Hard to get a good read on it when cranking as its momentary and can actually drop to anywhere from 4.8-5, but pops up quickly. Which is the correct reading?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

When the engine is cranking over it is acceptable to have the voltage fall to as low as 5 volts. The starter is by far the largest load on the car and that load has to be carried only by the battery because the charging system is running yet. The voltage everywhere will drop because it drops at the battery.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
When the engine is cranking over it is acceptable to have the voltage fall to as low as 5 volts. The starter is by far the largest load on the car and that load has to be carried only by the battery because the charging system is running yet. The voltage everywhere will drop because it drops at the battery.

Ok. So riddle me this.... Why is it only dropping .5-.6 at the battery, but dropping over 1v at the ignition? At the battery its going from 6.4-5.8 and at the ignition, its going from 6 ish to 5 or under? Does the ignition draw as well? I also notice when nothing is on, 30 reads a pretty steady 6.4. When the car is idling, there is a draw down to 6.12 or so. Unless I rev the engine and then I see it jump back up to 7.4-8 or so.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Ok. So riddle me this.... Why is it only dropping .5-.6 at the battery, but dropping over 1v at the ignition? At the battery its going from 6.4-5.8 and at the ignition, its going from 6 ish to 5 or under? Does the ignition draw as well? I also notice when nothing is on, 30 reads a pretty steady 6.4. When the car is idling, there is a draw down to 6.12 or so. Unless I rev the engine and then I see it jump back up to 7.4-8 or so.

For the riddle It is becuase the soliniod is powered thru the key switch, the starter is not, the starter is powered thru the solinoid and none of the starter power is drawn thru the key switch. when the key switch is in start position the solinoid and spark coil are both powered, along with the electric choke if so equiped. switched accessories such as radio may also be on too.

it would be easier if you did not refer to the circuit number for referance. tell us where you are taking the readings. When you say "30 reads...." it is really difficult to figure out what you are probing on with out a schemafic i front of me, and even then there are often more than one point that could apply. some goes for "at the ignition" that is too vague to know exactly where you are probing. if that the key switch, at the spark coil,? please cite specific locations when voltage drop testing is performed.

good luck

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Makes sense. I figured it was easier giving connection numbers than me trying to figure out the exact terminology for the various ignition positions. In previous posts where people have been diagnosing issues I've seen it done in both the question and the reply so figured that was the best way to avoid confusion. I'll try to be more explicit in the future.
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Ok. So to diagnose if there is possibly a bad switch... I also did a point to point measurement between 30 and 50 when cranking and got a reading of 1.3. Not sure what this info is telling me?

Right here. You have a problem. If you are reading between terminal 30 and terminal 50 on the ignition switch while cranking the engine and reading 1.3 volts, that is an excessivive voltage drop across the switch. It should read no more than .5 volts. See? See, how that works?

Inside the switch are brass contacts and a bunch of dried up dielectric grease that corrodes the brass over time. This is exactly the problem I had. Either replace the switch, or if you are pretty good with gently disassembling the switch, then take it apart and clean it. ***caution... There is a tiny little circlip on the back side of the switch that has to come off in order to get to the contacts. And it is a booger to get back on.***

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Makes sense. I figured it was easier giving connection numbers than me trying to figure out the exact terminology for the various ignition positions. In previous posts where people have been diagnosing issues I've seen it done in both the question and the reply so figured that was the best way to avoid confusion. I'll try to be more explicit in the future.

there are several 30 terminals on the car. see below diagram linked below. this is for a 1961 Bug, other years may differ.

link...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/1961USA-T1.jpg

Note terminal 30 can be found on light switch, key switch, soliniod,

the 30 refers to the soliniod circuit path, not a specific location or terminal.

15 refers to the ignition circuit the coil and key switch both have 15 teminals, 56 refers to headlamp circuit, 56a and 56b designate high and low beams, the light switch, dimmer switch and headlamps all have 56 and/or 56a, or 56b terminals.

the numbers on the diagram with a decimal point such as 1.5, 2.5, 6.0 refer to wire size (european sizes) the fatter wires have a higher number, the opposite of the American wire gauge system where a smaller number indicates a fatter wire.

good luck in your quest for electrical perfection!!!!

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Normal Voltage Drop? Reply with quote

Thanks BB I'm using the diagram from 64. I assumed since I was discussing voltage drops in the ignition circuit it would be assumed I was discussing the ignition when referencing terminal post numbers. I was taking Flyboys lead when he was using the same references in another thread. I guess next time I can insert the term xx on the ignition or xx on the light switch to clarify if that's easier?

Either way, I'm getting s better understanding of the circuits and the reasons for some of the drops and draws.

Flyboy, when I did some retesting I clipped the black wire of the VM to 30 with the wire from fuse 8 attached and the red probe from the VM to 50 on the ignition switch with the wire to the solenoid off and took readings again and getting very little drop now. I think my readings before may have been from a poor connection of the alligator clip and the outside of the connector.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: