Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long break from the hobby
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I took a 10 year break from the vw scene to chase the dream career of aviation. It hasn't been easy being away. I miss the shows, the cruises, and the people. I feel like I grew up with this site, joined when it was vw planet. That was 16 years ago, crazy! This site has grown so much, and it's still thriving, amazing. Anyways, I have a 63 notchback that's almost done with its restoration, then gonna drive the hell out of it. I love my notch but, I'm a bug guy, always have been. I'm partial to pre 61, especially ragtops. So, I'm looking to buy a nice stock ragtop to drive to hell and back. Thanks vw gang, you all have always been a one of a kind bunch.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

we all need a break some times. I took a short break for high horsepower &the nhra circut......I need to get back at it. funny how life can get in the way of fun.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449394&highlight=
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

I agree.. been there..... am there again..

I was deep into Vw's late 70's - early 90's..
Then...took a long break... college, wife, home, family.....life...
I kept ONE Beetle hidden in storage over those years..

Jumped slowly back into them around 2002ish... amazed how much prices jumped on the parts while the quality had dropped.
Cars that would have been 100 bucks in the early 80's were now 500-1000 and in much worse shape.
Enter the internet.. and The Samba helped..

The Vw scene changed and the trend to more bone stock with overloaded racks, or the ridiculously rusted rolling.. and the patina'd .... which was....is an indication that the VW crowd has changed too.

Now.. I'm really burned out again.. ready to bail again.. sell off 75% of my VW collection.. and move on to something else that's more me.. and has been in my blood since early.
Not out.. just less.

Funny how these things run in cycles..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

WEll if you are tired of the notch I can come get it. Driven everything else except a notch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
amazed how much prices jumped... while the quality had dropped.

This is a true statement, about life in America. Eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

That is what happens when you raise the floor. You are that much closer to the ceiling. You break the back of the middle class in punitive taxes to give it to the entitled.

Hard work is no longer required. You just gotta know how to squeeze it out of others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

sick and twisted truth right there..... I too took a long 9 yr break, sold off my cars and eventually moved had another kid (3)... absorbed my time with family, camping, boating, guns, dirt bikes, jeep, even started making custom knives from scratch... I still do all of the above but with moderation, always been a place in my heart for vw...

my addiction years back was bad, it absorbed all my time, eventually I felt I needed to focus more time on family... it's not a bad thing to be absorbed by, you could be spending every waking hour on dope... I have a very addictive personality but have learned to compartmentalize my hobbies, family, and life in general....

doubt I'll ever be VW less again... even considering opening up a resto shop... that will co-exist with my other business.... you just never know
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

The quality part is what's getting to me. Stuff that lasted forever is now junk, and over priced. I'm about to get out of VWs, and into something else like Hondas, as you can still get good parts for them. Right now I have 3 Accords. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

@Bobnotch you're not getting out of VW Logo .... how are you going to apply your insane skills to a honda Question Sick
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
@Bobnotch you're not getting out of VW Logo .... how are you going to apply your insane skills to a honda Question Sick

Not to worry, I just went and got another type 3 to keep me busy with VW's. Right now I just need to get this 1980 Pontiac TA Indy Pace car off the rotissery, and back on it's wheels (just got put on it yesterday). The T-3 is my old 70 Square that I painted back in 1998 and was my last Laquer paint job. At least it spent the last 16+ years in Texas, so it shouldn't need too much metal work done to it (it'll need less than the 70 KG convertible sitting in the backyard). Also have a couple of other GM's that need rust repair (not mine), so that'll keep me busy.

The idea behind having the Honda, is that it/they don't need work done to them every couple of weeks. They don't need much of anything between oil changes. Cool The 99 I just picked up, needs a little metal added in a couple of spots, but for the most part it's a nice solid car, with a manual transmission (5 spd).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Long break from the hobby Reply with quote

other than bugpoop&chrome shit I dont see much quality issues.mainly the "ass~embeler issues" Shocked and that isant only vw related.....yes there are some parts that are junk.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: