Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Don't be, Dave, doubt Pat knew.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Logical path for repairs Reply with quote

Folks have asked how one does this type of a project. If you purchase a used vehicle, even without adding a new/different engine, you should follow a logical path checking it out.

(Well, once the 2.1L engine and transaxle are out, it’s like the patient removed their clothes; you can see everything!)

Every system has to be looked at and carefully checked. I try to tighten every nut and bolt. Yank hard on brake lines. Measure brake pads and other clearances. And fix anything I find less than perfect!

If you install any new or rebuilt engine, and don’t re-do the cooling system, you’re shooting yourself in the foot. GoWesty has a story how an old $3 heating hose let go, and smoked a new 2.3L engine. Penny Wise, Pound Foolish. With the engine and tranny out, you can get at these things. (No, it’s not super easy, but beats doing it with everything in the way.)

Everyone knows about the fuel lines, that horse gets beat to death! The brake lines are steel in the original, and if the van has sat in a field for 10 years+, are rotted out. Replace all of them if you find ONE rusted out. Use copper-nickle tubing, and buy a professional double flare tool for under $75. Nothing from Harbor Freight is good enough.

If all systems are go, then I clean, paint and do cosmetic things. I prep for the Bostig installation by drilling holes, running wires, etc. Anything that’ll make the job go faster once the zetec is in. Obviously, while the engine compartment is empty, it’s much easier to drill mounting holes, install power steering lines, etc.

I sent a letter to a nearby repair shop, asking if they want to purchase the 2.1L, tranny, axles, and ECU. If they don’t, then I’ll have to find a buyer. I sold the original engine from my ’89 to someone in Virginia, that had 144k on it. He sent me the nicest thank you note after his mechanic installed it. Whoever gets this setup will be even happier. I’m very impressed by this engine, etc, Dave K was right on the money!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Making Progress Reply with quote

Still doing the small things, but feel progress is being made. I hate the thought of pulling this engine instead of cruising New England in this beautiful weather.
Once I start, there's no turning back.

The bumpers from my 89 are now installed on the 86, and look great! Dave K gave me the nudge to do this, many kudos!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered in a Fiamma awning. I'd bought the brackets on sale from someone who didn't need them, finally installed those today. Rock solid, I was thinking Bostig designed them.

Then pulled the Dometic 182B. This one "runs like a champ', but I have a very low opinion of them. Room inside for an Irish 7 course meal, (potato and a six pack...), if you like warm beer! My TF-49 didn't suffer any damage, but need the laminate tan piece to insert into the door. Everything else is set on good-to-go. These slide right in and attach using 4 screws.

I pulled wires for future circuits. No solar going on this baby. Rustproofed and insulated behind the cabinets.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

The Van is running great?

Use it till Winter decends upon us.
Once your conversion is done you'll have a fresh reference base for how much better, or worse?, the Bostig setup is.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Dave,
Van runs great BUT buyer wants the engine NOW. Coming over on Friday to test it and then will help me drop it.

He has a Syncro and has no use for the axles/CVs, transmission, ECU etc. Oh Well.

Did get my rear spotlight and 3rd brake light on today, and finished the wiring runs and TF-49 installation. GoWesty seems to be sold out of the tan laminate, and I don't want a big piece from other suppliers. May have to spend that nickle.

I copied the paint color you listed at Home Depot, thanks! May have to paint the TF-49 door while waiting for the laminate.

Meanwhile, boxes of stuff keep arriving.......

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Engine and transmission removal. Reply with quote

Very happy buyer came over, test drove the engine, and helped me remove it.

Ready for the heart operation:

He's taking it to California as a spare engine, so we did everything very slowly and carefully:

Then it was out:

Transmission separated easily, first time that has happened for me. The ECU rebuilt by GW went too, but I could not get the wiring harness out, the bed won't move. Either I missed something or the Behr air conditioning system is lagged into the floor.

Still have to remove the German axles and CVs, easier to do when the bay is empty.

Loaded everything into his van and off he went down happier trails....

Will start doing all the stuff to get ready for the Bostig install.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Quote:
Loaded everything into his van and off he went down happier trails....

It's almost like they designed Vanagons to carry a spare engine between the front and back seats. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

When I travel, I carry a lot of spare bits, a quantity that is probably well above average!

But a whole running engine? That's just a little bit of overkill! Wink

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Dave,
You say that now, but if you're where they say "Jersey", you'd be glad to have it if something went wrong. Actually his engine has little power, and oil pressure drops to 5 psi. He has to get to CA.....
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

A friend picked up the Dometic 182B, I told him if he spends hours and hours trying to get it to run, the next best thing is use it for target practice....

I took the door off, and installed it on the closet. This gives you much better access. I put bulky sleeping stuff in there. Did a much better cutout than my first attempt in the 89, almost perfect.

If you've never seen this, take the old door frame and trace it onto the closet. Cut it out carefully with a jigsaw. Install the door. Some prefer the hinges going the other way, that's your choice.

Another good idea I got here on the Samba!

Bostig ECU and sound proofing next on my long list.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
When I travel, I carry a lot of spare bits, a quantity that is probably well above average!

Dave

I didn't want to pass up a good running wbx, so I bought it (& I just installed my spare wasser anyway). I drove Jeff's new Westy before we dropped the engine. Ran great Cool Anyway, I'm going to drive to my dad's house in California & I'll probably leave my Syncro out there. I stripped down Jeff's engine so it's basicly a long block with the EFI & ignition on it. I still need to strap it down, but I gotta say my Syncro drives & handles better with the spare engine sitting right behind the front seats Laughing
As for overkill, it is, but I feel better having this engine with me before I embark on a 3000+ mile trip. I'm leaving CT early Tues & heading south thru OK, TX, NM, AZ, etc. Hopefully, my idle oil pressure is a non-issue (hot around 9psi @idle). I installed a tencent oil cooler kit last week, so it should improve a little.

Big thanks to Jeff for selling me the engine & for lunch at that donut place. Sorry about cutting that AC hose Laughing
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:

Another good idea I got here on the Samba!

Depending on how you organize, shelf standards and shelves can be an added benefit. I've added three shelves: one covers the "basement" which holds some tools and the Bently, the next two provide space for clothes, then the small cubby at the top is accessible from the skinny door and is perfect for my traveling partner's contacts, glasses, and other small bits of stuff that need to be handy. My cutout is probably not as clean as yours. Very Happy

I sure am enjoying your new build!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Big thanks to Jeff for selling me the engine & for lunch at that donut place. Sorry about cutting that AC hose Laughing

Whoa!

So that old Behr system held that RedTek charge I put in almost two years ago?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
tjet wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Whoa!

So that old Behr system held that RedTek charge I put in almost two years ago?

Dave

No. There was no pressure in the system. When I accidentally cut the hose, I noticed some compressor oil running out.

Really nice driving van. Well maintained.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

jimf909, thanks! Your shelves are professional, I make mine out of scrap lumber! I too hide my tire changing stuff under a bottom shelf, and I'm considering a top shelf this time. Won't be as nice as yours.

Dave,
I haven't started deciphering the Behr A/C system yet, do you think it'll work?
The manuals I downloaded are useless. I'll have to run all new hoses, never mind that tjet cut one. (I cut off his beer after that......)

Also, I have no use for the cruise control, this one I've never seen before. Do you want the parts?

If you know someone looking for a solid transmission, have them PM me.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Hot day here, I've liked working in the cooler weather!

Been adding sound proofing, I bought FatMat RattleTrap, someone told me it's the best, don't know anything about the subject. But I did buy WAY too much of it, must have had a brain fart when ordering. I bought 200 SF, will be lucky to use up one roll! Oh Well.

I yanked all the whatever-it-was off the area above the transmission, and added the FatMat. Very easy to do. (Famous last words, watch it all fall off the first week....) Does anyone have a use for the wires I removed, they held the stuff in place. Pay postage and you can have them.

Soundproofed the other side of this wall too, and installed the Bostig wire harness and ECU. All of this will stay under the seat until the engine, etc is in.
The other black box in the picture is part of the Behr air conditioning. I think it's the rear evaporator.

I replaced the 86's CVs and axles with the ones from my 89. Nothing wrong with them, and I was tempted just to leave them in place. But when you're an anal fuss-budget, that won't fly!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Lovely weather for working outside! Got a lot done!

I'll have four switched circuits running off the auxiliary battery. TR-49 refrigerator is #1. Finished wiring the USB outlets, these went in under the sink/stove, #2. LED lights above a circuit #3. Four is the rear floodlight/reverse light. Very useful when setting up camp in the dark, or backing up, you can see the tree you're about to hit.

I cut the engine bay and painted it. With the cutout, I can change the starter without going under the van, where it's not easy to get at.

The muffler bracket got installed. The black in the picture is a funky rust proofing done years ago, which is now falling off. Kind of looks like leprosy, but bits keep getting into my eye, so I'm starting to hate it. No rust to mention, so it did do the job!

Now you can chime in with help...here's the wiring up front I have to decipher. Never having seen a Behr air conditioning system, and the documentation I have is crap, speak up if you know what's there. I see what I assume is the front evaporator behind the glove box.

This all was the start of the auxiliary battery circuit. I want to diagram the A/C setup as I work. Keep finding wires that don't belong, and have no idea what they're for....
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: FIAMMA Reply with quote

Spent the morning re-wiring the radio circuits. Then soundproofed the front floor.

Ah, then the big truck arrived with my new Fiamma 45S! Install was quick, the mounts were already in place.

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Nice work Jeff. You're going to love that Fiama!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Finished electrical wiring. Reply with quote

Finished electrical wiring stuff, including the auxiliary battery. I use a Yandina 160 combiner, over-rated for any use I might have, but that's just me. The PO had a gel cell battery as the auxiliary, I put in the wet cell from the 89.

The fuse panel with switches to control the various added circuits is done, and the seat put back in.

Finally doing things to the zetec to get it ready. I'd bought the billet thermostat housing months ago, and just now installed it. That was easy! The new vacuum hose conection was a PITA. Ford designed a Chinese finger puzzle style connector, took me forever to get it out. I ended up heating up a small saw blade and melting through it. Remember, this engine is on the ground and easy to get at. Not sure how people do this while it's in the vehicle!

I started taking things apart to put a new timing belt on. Ran out of steam, so will work on that next time. Any written descriptions of how to do this job? I'm watching the video on YouTube, doesn't look difficult. (Famous last words....)

Before things go back in all I have left is the stainless coolant pipes and the 89's radiator/fan. I'm having second thoughts about replacing the 86's because the plastic pipes are in great shape, as is the fan/radiator.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: