Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Behr air conditioning Reply with quote

Whew, got a lot of little stuff done and some biggees!

Thanks to jimf909's inspiration, while still using scrap lumber, installed nicer shelves in the closet. The upper shelf is dedicated to his SO.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Took all the hoses out for the Behr air conditioning system. I've diagrammed how it all went together, and will make up new hoses using Eaton EZ Clip system. I was stuck on the electrical, until Steve Meassick was kind enough to email an instruction manual. What a gem! (I'll ask Dave K to show me how to upload the info to the archives.)

I may end up writing a definitive guide to the Behr aftermarket air conditioning system. (Or how to waste your money trying to get it up and running....)

Right now I'm going to flush out the two evaporators and maybe the condenser. (Have a parallel flow one from the '89.)

Stainless coolant pipes and the 89's radiator have to go in too. Raining today so won't get much of that done.

1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Radiator/Condenser/Stainless Cooling Pipes Reply with quote

Rather cool day here, weather-wise. Uncomfortable on the ground all day, and being under the van.

Ripped out the plastic cooling pipes and installed the stainless ones. The old ones were loaded with rust! I hate that job, they never just come out. I got pissed off, and cut them to get them out. Then couldn't get the SS ones in, so cut a wider opening. The gas tank was almost on the ground.

Installed the parallel condenser from my 89. Found nothing wrong with the Behr unit, it's actually rather nice. Flushed out the evaporators with air line antifreeze. Some gunk came out, but not much. I ordered in a new receiver/drier and an expansion valve. I think I have the wiring figured out, but that might be arrogance speaking.

Now, here's where I need help: My 89's fan has three wires, the one from the 86 only has two. 1. How to hook up the 89? 2. Why the difference?
3. Should I switch the 86 fan over to my new radiator?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

The 89 fan is 2 speed high output fan for air conditioned vehicles with studs on the rear of the motor....2 wires on positive terminal one wire on negative....there is a speed reduction resistor mounted on drivers side behind the headlamp on a bracket, the temprature switch that screws into the radiator tank has 3 terminals in it that vary the fan speeds. I have a nice AC fan, resistor, bracket and wiring harness out of my 88 Westy (92K mileson system) in the classifieds if you want factory correct system....shoot me a message I'll give you a great deal on it.....I went with a newer pancake style fan motor and PWM fan controller for my vans build but, after bench testing the factory VW fan I am selling....that fan displaces some air at full speed...maybe I should have kept stock parts.... Wink
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

zeohsix,
Thanks, that was helpful. I have all of those parts off my 89 which caught on fire and was stripped by me.
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Looking good! Excited to see more posts and pics. I hope to do this to my van one day. Smile

Thanks for posting.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Radiator and fuel system Reply with quote

Today the 89's radiator and fan, fuel pump and filter were installed. Waiting for six more packages to arrive, then the Zetec goes in.

My original goal was by September 30th, I'll just miss that.

Third time must be the charm, everything looks good, no taped over mistakes.... I was thinking that I've worked on every major system, wonder what won't work right when I finally connect up the battery again. There is a logical path to my madness, honest!

The Behr air conditioning has been a time hog, but I really like a/c.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Timing Belt change Reply with quote

The engine is now ready to go back in. Changed the timing belt and pulleys, not difficult, more be careful and do it slow.

Waterbox owners can skip this next part, only applies to the Zetec Ford engines.
I put this on the Bostig website, too.

Timing Belt Change Procedure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4IgVvfovhA Part I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKtcM6fLB4 Part II

The above videos on YouTube take you through this process. You will need the camshaft timing kit OTC 6486 and a T-55 torx socket. Refer to the Bostig installation manual, page 86. (This starts where that ends….)

You have the camshaft cover off, the camshafts bolts are loose, the camshaft alignment is OK, and the camshaft alignment tool is in place. (As long as the camshaft sprockets are loose, you will not damage anything. You have to be careful NOT to tighten the sprockets unless you’re holding the camshafts with a wrench or channel lock pliers!)

Now I’m moving on to the next step, replacing the timing belt. If you can do the above procedure, you can certainly do this job too! Note that the timing belt most likely looks fine, it’s the pulleys that wear out and need replacing. Don’t be faked out by how nice the belt looks! Doing this while the engine is out is much easier than when it’s in the vehicle!

You bought the timing belt replacement kit and have all the parts, right? The Gates kit is TCK294A. (Under $70 on Ebay.) [You may or may not have a second lower idler pulley.]

Remove upper timing belt cover.
Remove water pump pulley. (Easier if serpentine belt still on, or stick a big screwdriver behind it.) [ Don’t remove the water pump, read what it says….]
Remove idler pulley. (Cheap to get a new one. Just saying….)

Rotate crankshaft (always clockwise!) to compression stroke on cylinder #1.
(Closest to timing belt) (TDC Top Dead Center)
Loosen tensioner bolt and use 6mm allen wrench on tensioner to loosen timing belt.
Remove upper timing belt idler pulley. (The one on the right side)

Timing mark on harmonic balancer must align with casting on engine.
(Mark it so you can easily see it)
Remove crankshaft bolt and harmonic balancer. (If at TDC, key in crankshaft is at the top, so is the word “front”.)

Set timing alignment:
A. Remove access bolt
B. Install crank timing alignment pin from kit.
C. Remove lower timing cover
D. Rotate engine (clockwise) until it stops against pin.

Install new timing belt at the bottom, lower cover and harmonic balancer.
Re-check alignment marks.

Cam alignment plate is installed…
Install rest of timing belt, being careful not to force anything.
Install timing belt tensioner pulley, tab goes into the indent.
Install upper timing belt idler pulley (right side) and torque to 18 foot pounds.
Adjust tension, using guide to the rear, and tighten bolt on pulley to 18 FP.

REMOVE CRANKSHAFT TIMING PIN. (re-install the bolt that was there)
REMOVE CAMSHAFT ALIGNMENT PLATE.

Using a channel lock pliers on camshaft, tighten both camshaft gears to 50 foot pounds per Bostig procedure, page 87.
Double-check the camshaft alignment. (Re-do if off)(You can tighten the camshaft gears with the alignment tool inserted, but be careful, you don’t want to break the slots off.)

Install lower engine support bracket, torque to 37 FP.

Install camshaft valve cover, torque from center outward. (Use silicon on corners.)
Plug spark plug and wires back in, etc.

Install front timing belt cover, water pump pulley, idler pulley, serpentine belt.

The weather here is wet and cold, but I expect to get the engine and transaxle in on Monday or Tuesday. Weather in the 70's predicted.....
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Zetec and transaxle are in. Reply with quote

Got them both in today, did the power steering hookup, started laying in the air conditioning hoses. All-in-all, a fruitful day!

Tomorrow the weather should be as nice, and I'll hook up various items to the engine. Maybe try to start it on Wednesday.
detoxed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Looking good! Glad its all coming together for you.
mpl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Lookin' GREAT, Jeff! Applause Really enjoying following your (re-)build thread!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Weather finally warmer, can get outdoor stuff done.

Installed this super nice adjustable faucet, which is much more useful than the old VW black ones. I could never turn the water off once my hands were wet!
Had a brain fart when ordering and got two, will have to sell off the extra one. If anyone wants the old black one, just PM me and pay postage.

Everything to do with the engine, etc is done. I couldn't find the solenoid wire for love or money. Evan P told me where to look, and there it was where I'd hidden it.

Soundproofed everything, got the idea for reflectors from the Samba: Breakdown on the side of the road, and boy, can the oncoming cars see you once that's setup!

Went to start 'er up, and no joy. Wonder if my ECU got wet??? Will start troubleshooting it now.
Blazecut fire suppression went in, too.

Wishing this was all DONE.......
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

No good news yet. I burned through my few ideas, now Jim is helping me. I assumed I'd forgotten something, but right now it doesn't look that way. The fire must have smoked something. (lol, right?) As Jim very positively states, "We will get it started!"

So the air conditioning parts will be here soon, I'll tighten up the hoses and try to draw a vacuum. Also ordered a new intake manifold, wasn't happy with the old one. Going to experiment with how to attach the new Bostig vacuum nipple. There has to be an easier way.

Considering how nice this project looks, I'm very down it won't start.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
The fire must have smoked something. (lol, right?) As Jim very positively states, "We will get it started!"

Gotta love a positive attitude!

Great re-build and instruction thread!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: SOB started up! Reply with quote

Thanks to Jim at Bostig, I got it started. Turns out I'd missed a connection in the black distribution box. Jim patiently had me trace back the wires until I found the ones I needed to connect. I use these pins, which are inserted into the connector, and allow easy access.

Turned the key and BAM! Have to bleed the air out, find out if I put the correct wires into the alternator, etc, etc.

I made a home-brewed pressure bleeder for the brakes, which I used to bleed the clutch line. Very fast and easy, cost about $15.

Once the zetec is squared away, I'll do the air conditioning hoses, and draw vacuum. If that passes, I can re-assemble everything. Maybe even go out for a drive!
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Almost done.... Reply with quote

Beautiful Fall day here, with very warm temperatures for the next few days.

Drew 30 inches of vacuum on the air conditioning system for 12 hours, held steady for 6 hours, yeah!

Wired up the trinary switch from my 89, I'll do a write-up on the Behr aftermarket system soon.
Everything is put back together and I went out for a test drive. Nothing fell off, (that I noticed...), and it shifts, accelerates, brakes, etc. BUT the radiator fan doesn't turn on, anyone have any ideas? Fuse is good, but there's a lot of oddball wiring from POs. FYI I took the fan from my '89 and wired it into the '86. If I can't find why it won't run, I'll switch it back. (Honest, all I did was connect it up....)

Back end put together:

Another question: I bought a new rear view mirror but have no idea how to install it. Do I push down on the old one? Pull up? I'd rather ask then break something else.

Many thanks for your help and support, if this unit gets wrecked I don't think I'll do #4.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Behr Aftermarket Air Conditioning System Reply with quote

If you have no interest in the Behr system, skip all of this part....

Behr aftermarket air conditioning system (hereinafter BAACS or Behr) was added to vehicles once they hit the United States, Germans not believing anyone would want AC in a vehicle. If you find a Westfalia with this installed, and you want AC, don’t hesitate to purchase it. I’m impressed by how well built and designed it is.

Ah, but the information available on the Behr is very limited. Thanks to Steve Meassick, I obtained an installation manual, and uploaded it to the archive files. ( Available here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/behr_ac.php) This includes a schematic!

The Behr uses two, front and rear, evaporators with blowers. I don’t recall the btu ratings. The front unit is inside under the dashboard, with the condenser in front of the radiator, and the drier, hi/low switch behind the passenger headlight.

I yanked out the original, 30 year old hoses and replaced them with new GH-134 hose, using the Eaton EZ-Clip system. (This is all explained on the Bostig website. https://bostig.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204149135-Adding-Air-Conditioning-part-one Part one, there’s 4!)
I re-cycled the hoses from my 89, and other parts.

Lengths are approximate, depends also on how you route them. The GH-134 are much smaller than the old hoses.

#6 Drier to rear evaporator 16 feet
#6 Drier to condenser 1.5 feet

#8 Compressor to condenser 17 feet

#10 Compressor to front evaporator 16 feet
#10 Compressor to rear evaporator 5 feet (used a T splice)

The Eaton fittings are easy to understand, once you learn to decipher the catalog.
I get mine from Hose Warehouse.
for example, the #10 T splice is: FJ 3066-1010S
a #10 90 degree long pilot fitting: FJ 3288-11-1010S
a #6 90 degree long pilot fitting: FJ 3288-01-0606S

I re-used the trinary switch from my ’89, which was spliced into a T in the #6 hose. You always replace the drier, and may want to pick one up with the high/low switch screwed into the top.

The schematic makes the wiring easy to understand. 12v comes in on the Or/Wh:R, then R/Blue is the radiator fan circuit, Blue Blue the clutch.

The Volkswagon compressor used a double fitting to connect the #10 hoses, I just added a T splice in the line and made one connection at the Ford compressor. Engineering-wise it shouldn’t make a difference.

The expansion valve is NOT the one used in the VW, I now have three of the damn things sitting around! I cleaned and re-used the Behr H valve.

I removed the Behr condenser and put in a parallel flow one from the ’89. If I didn’t already have it, I wouldn’t have bothered. The Behr one is very high quality and very large surface area.

I use Redtek 12A, the choice is up to you.

Not much of an artist, but hope my drawing is helpful.

JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: FINISHED!!!! Reply with quote

And it's done! (Ok, there's always some minor stuff to twiddle with, but for the most part......)

The point is it's a beautiful day here on the lake, and the fish are rising everywhere, AND I DON'T HAVE TO WORK ON THE 86 WESTY!!!!

Consider this project done. (Alright, there's that rear view mirror laying on the floor, don't mention that to me.....)

Gone fishin'
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

the rearview mirror comes out by twisting it and the new one will go back in the same way (except twisting it the other direction).

I just cannot remember which way you twist to remove. Embarassed
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

Many thanks, wouldn't have thought to twist it.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Arise from the Ashes-Cherry 86 Westy getting a Bostig Transplant Reply with quote

twist clock wise or counter clockwise either direction will work.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: