Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

120hp build NA or Boosted?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

So I have stripped down this engine and am intending to rebuild it. My goal is 120ish horsepower. (i was told that the transmission won't handle much more than that)

So my question is as follows, would it be more economical to build a naturally aspirated engine to hit 120hp, or to use some form of boost? either turbo or supercharger. the car will be a daily driver (except on bad weather maybe)

For Na stuff, I'm relatively well versed I know that number can be hit. Increase displacement adds an aggressive cam, better flowing heads, and nice carb and viola. your making power.

However, I think it would be cool to add some form of boost. I saw a turbo kit from a company low bugget and supposedly I need only upgrade the valve train. It sounds too good to be true I think. The engine is a type 1 bug engine, I'm not sure how well it can handle boost.

Alternatively, I could go supercharger, I know turbos like higher rpm's, something the bug isn't naturally suited to. The supercharger I found is from a site called http://joeblow.me/

Thanks for any replies to my, likely hairbrained scheme.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

jdwin wrote:

Alternatively, I could go supercharger, I know turbos like higher rpm's, something the bug isn't naturally suited to. The supercharger I found is from a site called http://joeblow.me/

Balloney, or at least some of it. Turbo engines does not necessarily want/need higher rpms. It is a matter of combining the parts correct.
Type 1 VW engines can work well with a supercharger and even a stock engine with valve train upgrades can easily hit 100 hp and 160 Nm torque, with a little more detail 120 hp and 180 Nm torque. I doubt supercharging or turboing the engine will be much cheaper than building N/A at a 120 hp goal. But it will be different.
One downside with the supercharger is that it will make the engine more consumptive also on cruise due to the fact that you need to pull the charger also when you do not use it.
A nice low frills 1914 will pull 120 hp too.

/ My 02c.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

One downside with the supercharger is that it will make the engine more consumptive also on cruise due to the fact that you need to pull the charger also when you do not use it.

Unless you are Mad Max, and can start the Supercharger with the flip of a switch when needed. Very Happy

OP, I run a turbo, and they do not need high RPMs. A supercharger eats some of the HP it makes to drive the SC. But the boosted power is instant.

A turbo is what's called "free horsepower" because it's driven by the exhaust, but is subject to "turbo lag", the time it takes for the exhaust to spin the turbo fast enough to start making boost.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

I'm going to chime in here because I have some experience with both kits you are looking at. The lowbugget kit will definately get you to 120hp easy with a basic 1600. I really think it compliments a bigger 2 liter engine for that kind of money. The header I got from AJ many years ago was really nice, but took almost a year to get. It was a hassle calling and thinking about it all the time. If I was to do it again, I would use someone else. Draw through turbo setups are all pretty similair and lots of guys can put together a kit for you. You still have to use decklid stand offs or run no decklid with all of them.

Now, the JoeBlow kit web page you posted was a bunch of hype and I didn't see any pictures. I'm almost positive that it uses the AMR500 Aisin supercharger or the other (bigger) SC series used on Toyota. Both of these were available in Australia where the JoeBlow kit comes from. I payed $100 plus shipping for the Aisin from an ebay seller in Japan. They came as factory equipment on Japan market micro cars. If you are running a 1600 or bigger, go with the SC Toyota blower instead.

As far as what is cheaper? If you can build it yourself, then 120hp is cheapest with a well built stock 1600 and your home built setup turbo or blower bolted to it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my version of the Joe Blow kit on a 40hp I'm building. No way would I run this tiny thing on a 1776. You should run the much larger SC, not the Aisin. It's a lot of work to build right and you still have to "engineer" the thing to actually perform. That still falls on you to properly pick all the components and tune. I'll have around $500 into when finished because there are lots of little things to buy as you go and that's with the cost of a brand new carb I have my eye on.

I loved all forced induction but VW people seem to think kits just slap on and you are done. It's a total commitment of modifying things from the fuel tank to the rear bumper. Even with my $100 supercharger it's not a walk in the park.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

Joel Mohr at Mohr Performance has a cheap $1200 turbo kit that uses a rebuilt Kadron and a new Mitsubishi turbo. 120 HP on a used, bone stock 1600.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

A 120 HP NA engine would probably last a lot longer then a turbo engine would.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

There are some Swede's or Norwegians that are running 30# boost at 7000-8000 rpm on a 1641cc and getting almost 400 hp and 10 sec 1/4 mile times out of them.

Link

120 whp from a stock 1600 will take at least 14 lbs. boost.

Your intake temps will be at about 260 plus degrees.

Timing control, W/I and/or Intercooler is recommended.

Turbos are great......there when you need them and always just a pedal push away.

I have been driving my turbo buggy for 25,000 miles now.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
There are some Swede's or Norwegians that are running 30# boost at 7000-8000 rpm on a 1641cc and getting almost 400 hp and 10 sec 1/4 mile times out of them.

BS. not with a 1641. 400 HP should be deep into the 9's

There is a huge difference between 10.99 and a 10.00
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
clonebug wrote:

BS. not with a 1641. 400 HP should be deep into the 9's

There is a huge difference between 10.99 and a 10.00

There are a couple of guys that are getting impressive numbers from their Mouse engines.

Kalle is one and Niklas is another.

Niklas is at 394 hp and has run a 10.19 at 128 mph in his ghia. This was in 2012 and I'm sure they have done better since.

Here is another one in the ghia this time......

Link

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

jdwin wrote:
would it be more economical to build a naturally aspirated engine to hit 120hp, or to use some form of boost?

Economy and HP are kind of exclusive terms. IMO.

I just built an engine that should be about 120 hp, and I am 3500 dollars in. My next engine will be a turbo. I'm just playing around and trying to learn something. I have not figured out how some people can go fast for cheap. Either I am a terrible shopper or they forget to include all the small items and last minute trips to the parts house. Lol.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

Build decent 2180, put it at about 9.5:1 Engle 140 cam and dual HPMX 44.... Car I sold recently has basically engine above and it put 120 HP at wheels on chassis dyno....

Don't need blower it just makes build more complicated and you can brake tire loose any time you want in 1st & 2nd gear...

dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

do a blow job. it's faster to do.then save up for a bigger motor to transfer the blow job to when it's ready.
jdwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

The budget isn't too much of a.concern. I would of course like to spend as little as possible but I also intend to do the job right

I think 120bp is easy (ish) to bit, blower or no. I think a boosted bug would be co though.

When i get home I'll post the engine I'm wanting to build. I guess the difference between boosted and Na would be the cam. Otherwise the two builds will be the same.
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

this is the golden rule of all hot rodding ,,,,, a very wise man (dad) told me 40yrs ago ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"THERE ARE 3 THINGS"
1-"CHEAP"
2-"FAST"
3-"RELIABLE"
"OF THESE 3 YOU GET TO PICK 2"
"WHATS LEFT WILL NOT APPLY"

this applies to every car build ever , period

Fabricator John
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

fabricator john wrote:

"THERE ARE 3 THINGS"
1-"CHEAP"
2-"FAST"
3-"RELIABLE"
"OF THESE 3 YOU GET TO PICK 2"
"WHATS LEFT WILL NOT APPLY"

this applies to every car build ever , period

Fabricator John

This is somewhat relative to the car and the builder, My bug is fast for a bug but not fast by hot rodding standards, its very reliable because I keep it maintained but a honda is reliable without being touched, and cheap compared to other cars with similar performance but I have about 7k into it which is not cheap for a 71 super beetle.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

A simple, easy to build 2276 would do the trick.

82x94
W120, or w125 cam
Stock rockers with bolt together shafts
44 hpmx's.
CB's new 40x35 street heads
1 5/8 exhaust

Will go together like cake. Easy to build with off the shelf parts and will run forever.

Or how about a 1776/1835/1915
Fk42 cam. 1.25 rockers (adjuster on PR side)
049 revmasters or CB's new heads. 48cc
40 hpmx's with 32 vents
1.5 inch exhaust

I like the bigger engines because you have massive torque down low. On the street these are a pleasure to drive.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
A simple, easy to build 2276 would do the trick.

82x94
W120, or w125 cam
Stock rockers with bolt together shafts
44 hpmx's.
CB's new 40x35 street heads
1 5/8 exhaust

Will go together like cake. Easy to build with off the shelf parts and will run forever.

Or how about a 1776/1835/1915
Fk42 cam. 1.25 rockers (adjuster on PR side)
049 revmasters or CB's new heads. 48cc
40 hpmx's with 32 vents
1.5 inch exhaust

I like the bigger engines because you have massive torque down low. On the street these are a pleasure to drive.

How much does it cost to build a 2276???

I'm curious because most people say they have many thousands in parts alone plus the balancing and assembly costs.
I have heard of prices over $6000.00 for a build.

That's a lot of money for 120-160 hp.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

It costs the same as building a 1915, a bit more because of barrel spacers and h-beams. Pretty sure cheap AA 500-420 heads can make 120hp with 2276cc of displacement, at least it feels like they do. I think with 44IDFs it's almost too easy.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

stan_tichomirov wrote:
It costs the same as building a 1915, a bit more because of barrel spacers and h-beams. Pretty sure cheap AA 500-420 heads can make 120hp with 2276cc of displacement, at least it feels like they do. I think with 44IDFs it's almost too easy.

Stan

A 1915 should be able to get 100-120 hp.

Why go through the trouble of a 2276 for only 120 hp???

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 120hp build NA or Boosted? Reply with quote

For experience, and difference in power delivery. It's snappy and easy to break traction in 2nd. It's an option. And it can make more, heads are the bottleneck.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: