Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW412 manufacturing spec
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

Dont remember if I have shared this before but some time ago I found the manufacturing spec of my -73 412 at the back of the rear seat backrest. It was tucked in between the springs and extremely well preserved.
The handwritten word in red "Teppich" means carpet in German.

Possibly behind the backrest was a standard place to leave this note at the end of the line...anyone else found this note on your car?

Lars S

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

Interesting---no I haven't noticed that. But I have my rear seat out right now so I will take a look. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

You know.....I could have sworn I had mine in the stack of documents. ....but I just looked and its not there.

I have everything else. I have the original vinyl folio with the original type 4 manual and a types 1,2,3,4 owners manual that was in there as well, all the original service record and coupons book, the warranty radio tag for the Motorola radio, the service Europa guidebook and map, the final service document printout from a dealer in Oslo Norway and the shipping documents from Norway to the US.
Somewhere in the stack I remember also having the bill of sale from a dealer in Frankfurt. I will have to look behind my back seat.
Thank you! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danno5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

I took out my backseat this weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary besides a rat nest and a few droppings. I can't figure out for the life of me how they got in there! No damage to the seat and the material doesn't look like it came from the car at all. Looks like a great big ball of dryer lint.

Guess the build sheet got tacked somewhere else when mine was moving through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

Danno5 wrote:

Guess the build sheet got tacked somewhere else when mine was moving through.

Under the back seat is a wery odd place to put a build sheet during production since it would not be visible to the workers which it should be...guess they put it under the seat when the car was ready built....hopefully someone else can find it there!

Lars S
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

Interesting find, Lars. Your build sheet is one of very few I've ever seen. There's another one from a '73 SportsBug in theSamba gallery. Does your '73 412 have a sunroof? If so, that would explain the "SD" in the top line, stands for Stahlkurbeldach- steel crank roof.

The color (Farbe) 71 7145 would be the factory code for Maya Gold metallic L98A.

Too bad the sheet does not show the LFD Nr (Laufende Nummer- consecutive number) in the top row, unless your small riveted ID tag in the front trunk has 044 8505 which is the Kenn Nummer. If your tag does have those numbers, the 044 would be the build date of the car- 4th workday of the 04th calendar week of 1973.

Although all of the German words along the vertical borders make sense, the typed-in codes are tough to decipher without production line-based lists. Some are most likely the same as M codes for country-specific options. The only one that is easy to decode is LL in the right half of the build list, standing for Linkslenker- left hand drive. Along the top line, AGG stands for powertrain (engine + transmission)- Aggregat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW412 manufacturing spec Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Ray, it would be wery intresting to dechipher this!

No my 412 has no sunroof so "SD" must have another reading.

Yes many of the codes are same as the M-numbers, examles:
202 Larger heat exchangers and stronger heater fan
506 Power brake unit
558 Extra battery under passenger seat
All those can be found on my car.

Also the small riveted ID tag in the front trunk says "04-4-8505" so that number ties the specification to the actual car which is extremely important in case the spec came lose.

Hoping to learn more on this!

/Lars S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: