Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Semaphores Reply with quote

Greetings all, What are some methods being used to safely convert the semaphores to 12volts when using the originals for daily driver status?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

Just change the bulbs to 12v and plug them in. I've run all of my buses with the old 6v solenoids without issue. Unless you forget to turn them off, they really don't burn up from the short use intervals.
Disclaimer....not responsible for any issues / damages due to my personal opinion and experiences. Attempt at your own risk Laughing

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

They can be re-wound to run on 12v

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

or you could just go this route...
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-953-021-F12V

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

+1 on the repros. They look and work great.

There was someone on TheSamba selling 12V flashing LED bulbs for semaphores but I haven't seen them offered lately. If you can find any I highly recommend them. Brighter than the original bulbs and the flashing helps people understand what those weird pop-out arms are for. Laughing
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

ive been debating on a set of those flashing bulbs but its hard to swallow on the price for 2 bulbs....but in the big picture, whats potential damage to your bus worth because someone did not understand what a semaphore is.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1844898

Whaaaaat?
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

They're a bit less expensive here, though they've gone up since I bought mine. I consider them worth it.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I use a strong ceramic/aluminium finned resistor, much like the things that are used for the wiper conversion. I like to get their rating slightly short of the resistance they should have to convert 12 to 6 V. That way I have about 7 - 8 V at the semaphore and old reluctant semaphores with a little more inner electrical and mechanical resistance will still come up nicely.
I will have to look at my bus tomorrow to check the resistance rating.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I'm a 100% sold on the flashing semaphores, I fitted a pair of LED flashing bulbs to the semaphores before my Austria trip and it just felt safer. People understand flashing orange, over solid orange and they are brighter too!

Instagram - rustykohlruss
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:
I'm a 100% sold on the flashing semaphores, I fitted a pair of LED flashing bulbs to the semaphores before my Austria trip and it just felt safer. People understand flashing orange, over solid orange and they are brighter too!

i found the regular semaphores on my 59 beetle did not do much to tell the average car guy where i was going, but they sure did scare the pedestrians.

the wildly flapping semaphores on my 56 fire engine bus worked very well.

should be easy enough to run the semaphores with a blinker relais and get the same flapping action. total nuisance when you are sitting at a light though

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

52panelvan wrote:

Mark, listen to Ev and what we were talking when she rode pssgr in the 34, behind the KRSS. trying to figure out if your semaphores were actually activated or not. Rolling Eyes

They are bright and the flashing is ok, but you just can't see them from many angles. Most of the people understanding semaphores have since passed away. it's time for neat blacked out LED turn signals like Peter has on his 54 DLX.
I just use the sempahores for fun and will get fully working LED blinkers before HO and for daily use.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
52panelvan wrote:

Mark, listen to Ev and what we were talking when she rode pssgr in the 34, behind the KRSS. trying to figure out if your semaphores were actually activated or not. Rolling Eyes

They are bright and the flashing is ok, but you just can't see them from many angles. Most of the people understanding semaphores have since passed away. it's time for neat blacked out LED turn signals like Peter has on his 54 DLX.
I just use the sempahores for fun and will get fully working LED blinkers before HO and for daily use.

Yes, I just use them for fun too or to show people at VW meets.

Tons of VW people have never see them in action and are excited to check them out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busbarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I have them flashing now since this video. I also have extra blinkers to add some safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNyseAGRntk
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: