Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying my front brakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junglebiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me exactly what front brakes I have on this recently acquired VW of mine? The car is a 1968 Type 1 sedan, ball joint front end/swing axle rear, 4 lug wheels. I am not exactly sure where it came from, but it's been here in Papua New Guinea for a long time, it may possibly have been sold new here in country, as VW did have strong presence here back in the 1970's. It may have been imported from Australia, I'm not sure if the VW's sold here back in the day were being shipped straight from Germany or if they were coming from Oz.

Anyway, I had a chat with one of the previous owners of this car when I attempted to buy it from him several years ago (he ended up backing out of the deal) and at the time he told me that the disc front brakes were a rare factory option for the Type 1. So far I have found no proof that discs were ever offered that early on a Beetle, so are these off of some other VW or are they an old aftermarket set or what? I'd like to know exactly what they are so that I can get brake pads for them in the future.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

retterath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

I am far from an expert in this, so take it for what it's worth. During my own "what on earth do I have here" research, I learned about early type 3 / Ghia calipers, and that's what that looks like to me. Single pin to hold the pads in place.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Junglebiker wrote:
... So far I have found no proof that discs were ever offered that early on a Beetle, so are these off of some other VW or are they an old aftermarket set or what? I'd like to know exactly what they are so that I can get brake pads for them in the future.

May be this helps (unfortunately all German):
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/index-sd.html#/374
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1971/index-sd.html#/502
Note item 17 (brake pads) for chassis numbers 117 000 001 - 112 2076 273.
Brake main cylinder, calipers and pads were from ATE originally AFAIK.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

I do not know of any disc brake options for Beetles, But I can tell you that the entire front beam, or just the spindles/brake assembly from a Karmann Ghia can be swapped into a beetle . . . I installed one into my 1967 Bug!

You want to get replacement front brake parts to fit a 1968 Karmann Ghia.
Junglebiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Thanks, all! That's very helpful. Are the brake lines the same for drums and discs?
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Beetles had 4-bolt front disc brakes in many countries starting in 1967. IIRC, Aussie 1500 Beetles had them.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

In most non-US markets, VW fitted disc brakes to Beetles with the largest engine. For '68 VW offered the 40hp 1200cc (34 PS German DIN rating), the 50hp 1300 (40 PS DIN), and the 53hp 1500 (44 PS DIN). Even though it is quite straightforward to retrofit the front discs from a Karmann Ghia (different spindles, the discs, calipers, backing plates and hoses), it's quite possible that your '68 had those discs factory-fitted if you have the 1500 engine.

The original brake caliper suppliers were either Girling or ATE (Alfred Teves). I don't remember which one is like yours- the single-pin pad design. But that is the style shown in the Bentley official repair manual for '67 thru '69 Type 1 (Ghia).

That VW parts catalog is wonderful! As to your question of front brake hoses, refer to page 496 (section 6-42). Item 1 in the upper diagram are Standard (not Super) Beetle brake hoses. The length for Trommelbremse (drum brakes) are 355mm; those for Scheibenbremse (disc brake) are 330mm.

I don't think I ever found out the official reason why VW never installed front discs on US Beetles as of the '67 model year, since our market always had the most powerful of the engine offerings. Most likely because of keeping the overall cost of the car down.
Junglebiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Unfortunately mine doesn't have the original engine in it--I think that the original was a 1500, but what's in it now is (according to the engine number) a 1300 from 1965, I think. (The original 1500 was pulled out and put into a Manx buggy by one of the previous owners. It doesn't matter much, I have a spare industrial engine of similar vintage that I plan to build up eventually.)

This could very well be a Aussie VW, is there any way to tell from the VIN? The steering is on the right, and as far as I can tell, it always was right hand drive. Given what I know of its history and given what I know about the way people use/maintain cars here, it would make more sense to me if it had discs from the factory.

As long as the brake parts are all the same, I guess it doesn't matter. Thanks for the heads-up on brake line lengths.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

They look similar to the disc brakes on my '71 super which were original to the car.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Every beetle and Super after 68 in oz had factory discs except the povpak 70-74 1300s so if it came from here that's no thing unusual.
If it's an oz built bug it will Australian made glass, some electrics and dulux paint code sticker.

Rome, VW of America was under pressure to keep costs down so they stuck with drums
Junglebiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Every beetle and Super after 68 in oz had factory discs except the povpak 70-74 1300s so if it came from here that's no thing unusual.
If it's an oz built bug it will Australian made glass, some electrics and dulux paint code sticker.

Rome, VW of America was under pressure to keep costs down so they stuck with drums

Along with the car I got a pretty good sized collection of carbs and distributors that all say things like "Solex Australia" or "Bosch Australia" on them. I'll have to take a look at the glass and see what it says.

Did VW actually have a factory in Oz or were they just assembled there and shipped around Oceania?
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Yes they were made here, There was a huge factory in Clayton Melbourne which is still there now with the big VW logo on the roof although it painted white now.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Here some Beetle production numbers from around the world, including Australia:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Junglebiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front brakes Reply with quote

Interesting--I lived in Peru for 8 years as a kid and I think all 78,000 of those Beetles were in the city of Lima operating as taxis!! Surely 80% of the cars in Lima back in the 1980's were VW Type 1's. It was amazing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: