Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

Hello,

My '69 Beetle acquisition came with single pane "Cali look" door glass.
I'm considering reverting back to the original wing-window style door windows.

Question #1: In lieu of finding 2 more doors already outfitted with wings, can I instead just "transfer" wing window components, regulators and glass to my current doors?
(A gent at recent swap meet thought when the wing windows were removed from my doors that there probably were rivets removed/modifications made to the door, making a transfer difficult/challenging). I'd prefer to take this "transfer" approach, if at all possible, as I do not wish to repaint my car and new doors to match.

Question #2: What model year Bug doors will fit my '69?

Thank you, Samba Community!
Charlo
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

no way to know unless you break down the door and check. I dont think one piece windows require any modification, but I could be wrong. I personally thing they look terrible from an engineering perspective. the one peice glass is heavy and wears on parts quicker.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

an easy swap back to original glass. It would be helpful to you to pull the donor glass out of the doors so you know how it all fits together, but im sure there are some videos around that would help.

Do it you won't be sorry!

Oh, and 68 and up is what you need.
Charlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

thank you, cletus-zuber and andrewvwclassic!!!
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

I don't want to "hi-jack" this subject but...
How would I refit the wing window on a 1974 Super convertible?
The glass of the wing window is loose and needs to be "reglued" - what product would you suggest that I use to reattach the glass to the framework?
johnbhm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

It's been year's since I have done them but I clearly remember a rubberized cork tape and another black tape one being a little thicker witch ever fit the particular car. The material was rapped around the edge of the glass and taped in place in several places and the chrome trim was hammered on with a block of wood and a rubber mallet.
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Type 1 - reinstalling wing windows Reply with quote

it's 100% possible, and quite easy. I did it few months ago. just buy all the vent glass, stock Windows, regulators, and all rubber and it's an easy install from there. a Channel in which the vent usually sits on is cut away with the one piece style Windows but that's the only modification made, and they still work fine without that piece
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: