Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo 1776 turbo build questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Maldonado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

Hello! So I've got a tired old 1776 in my '69 bug I'm planning on rebuilding soon. I'm planning on turbo charging it and don't know exactly what parts I'll need to get the most longevity out of it. Also, I've got a relatively new set of webber 44 carbs that are too big for the engine as it is, but I'm wondering if they will perform better in turbo charged form given the more thirsty nature of turbo'd engines. Any and all input would be good. Thanks!
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

You might try posting this question in the performance/engines section. Those guys might have a few things to say.

Otherwise I'd contact someone at CB Performance. They have very knowledgeable mechanics who can direct you toward the correct parts for your build.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

Doing this with carbs would be tough, I'm guessing fuel injection + Megasquirt would be the way to go.
Alex Maldonado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Doing this with carbs would be tough, I'm guessing fuel injection + Megasquirt would be the way to go.

I've been really considering that, but I'm also trying to stay relatively inexpensive. I know the old saying about not being able to have cheap, fast, and reliable, but I want to see how close I can get. I'm not looking for crazy power, but i'm looking for some decent get up and go. I'm also hoping for a build that I could plausibly use for a daily driver.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

Alex Maldonado wrote:
hotsam wrote:

I've been really considering that, but I'm also trying to stay relatively inexpensive. I know the old saying about not being able to have cheap, fast, and reliable, but I want to see how close I can get. I'm not looking for crazy power, but i'm looking for some decent get up and go. I'm also hoping for a build that I could plausibly use for a daily driver.

I've never touched turbos or even gone the FI route, but why couldn't you make a reliable 1776cc turbo engine? Conventional VW wisdom dictates that 1776 is arguably the best power to reliability size for a DD, and turbo charging can nearly double HP, so what the hell, right? Why not have your cake and eat it too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

Smile I have a 1776cc Turbo in a 66 Bug...plenty of HP for me as a daily driver.
90,5 Pistons
041 heads
110 Cam
Weber DCOE 40 (Progressive jetting)
Rajay B25 Turbo
Stainless Exhaust
009 dist with elect ignition
12 lb flywheel
30mm oil pump
stock Early oil cooler connected to External Oil Filter (PH8A)
Bottom end was balanced when NEW but is now 20 some yrs old while I did replace the heads and rings recently......life goes on.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:

^This^

I just got my 1776T on the road a month ago. Super fun. I went the megasquirt, crank trigger, fuel injection route. Not having to change jets and being able to time your car with a mouse and keyboard is worth every penny the system cost. Sell the carbs if they are in good shape, and look into the megasquirt realm. The amount of knowledge you gain from doing the whole thing is awesome. You won't be sorry.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
nbuscemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 1776 turbo build questions Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
hotsam wrote:

^This^

I just got my 1776T on the road a month ago. Super fun. I went the megasquirt, crank trigger, fuel injection route. Not having to change jets and being able to time your car with a mouse and keyboard is worth every penny the system cost. Sell the carbs if they are in good shape, and look into the megasquirt realm. The amount of knowledge you gain from doing the whole thing is awesome. You won't be sorry.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What throttle body did you use? Looking to do the same setup for my 68 Sedan.

-Nick-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: