Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine builder in Western Maryland
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wambo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

looking to see who is out there that can do some engine work for me in my area?

engine is out and is a basic long block- I need new main bearings (case checked) also I figured id have the cam and rod bearings swapped at the same time and the flywheel correctly shimmed.

had some pretty high quotes for this work, looking to have it done reasonably cheap, but correct, and have a decent turnaround time.

know anyone let me know please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
wambo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

or if anyone has a comparable long block they would just want to swap me so I can get on the road... that might work too.

lots of goodies in mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
wambo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

probably should list the specs of my engine-
1904cc
-cb performance 74mm 8 dowel forged crank
-cb 5.235" H beam rods
-90.5 A pistons
-W120 cam
-Scat lightweight lube lifters
-lightened flywheel
-CB NEW panchito heads, 52cc chambers, titanium retainers dual valve springs
-CB HD aluminum pushrods
-stainless steel push rod tubes
-SOLID rocker shaft
-upgraded oil pressure springs
-CB performance full flow oil pump

as you can see, not cheap parts. would really like someone to just do the mains for me, but if you already have something put together I can trade this engine and some cash on top.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

Whats wrong with the current engine?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

Quote:
had some pretty high quotes for this work, looking to have it done reasonably cheap, but correct, and have a decent turnaround time.

Let me explain. If you are good, you are busy and have a backlog. AND quality tools and techs cost money. The only thing you can hope to find is a serious hobbyist that would want to do it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Quote:

Let me explain. If you are good, you are busy and have a backlog. AND quality tools and techs cost money. The only thing you can hope to find is a serious hobbyist that would want to do it.

Except when your good, have a constant backlog, and know how to manage the work flow in your business... Wink

Low overhead also provides for the ability to be reasonably priced.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:

Except when your good, have a constant backlog, and know how to manage the work flow in your business... Wink

yep...

some places won't ever see the forest thru the trees either.

if shop A is 100/hr with 6 guys, shop B is 90/hr with 3 guys and shop C is 50/hr with 1 guy, shop C is losing potential revenue by not staying within a few dollars of their competition, has to work harder to keep it all together and usually caters to bottom feeder/DIY types. all things being equal, lets say shop A,B and C all to quality work. shop C devalues their worth, and makes shop A and B look "greedy" just because you have lower overhead doesn't mean you should "discount" the work. there is a "street value" to all of this. enjoy selling yourself short and working till you're 85

all of this is taught in business class. to the o/p....fast, cheap, correct. pick 2

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wambo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

Guess that makes me the Bottom Feeder type Rolling Eyes
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

I understand wanting to save a few bucks and not spend more money than needed on LABOR.

That said, if you already have the engine out...why not freshen it up yourself. It will require some work, some reading, some tools, and maybe some new friends. But, in the end...you'll be glad you did, and you will have knowledge, new friends, and tools!!! You may even be able to get a local shop to measure and inspect everything WITH you for a reasonable price if your worried about that part.

Also, in the above mentioned business examples...I try to steer clear of the super fancy businesses with the highest rates, and the cheap, under-staffed/under-trained place just the same (wait - my personal garage is under-staffed and under-trained! Embarassed LOL)
wambo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

well, trying to fix it myself is what got me into this situation to begin with.

a buddy and me split the case to just do a cam swap.. and well, we messed up bearings... just being honest. opps.

so I could split it again myself, but measuring the line bore, checking thrust and setting the shims for the flywheel makes me uncomfortable.

if I could find someone that would do it with me, or let me watch, HELL YES. I would love that.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

wambo73 wrote:

I thought we all were? Razz
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

modok wrote:
wambo73 wrote:

I thought we all were? Razz

Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:

yep...

some places won't ever see the forest thru the trees either.

if shop A is 100/hr with 6 guys, shop B is 90/hr with 3 guys and shop C is 50/hr with 1 guy, shop C is losing potential revenue by not staying within a few dollars of their competition, has to work harder to keep it all together and usually caters to bottom feeder/DIY types. all things being equal, lets say shop A,B and C all to quality work. shop C devalues their worth, and makes shop A and B look "greedy" just because you have lower overhead doesn't mean you should "discount" the work. there is a "street value" to all of this. enjoy selling yourself short and working till you're 85

all of this is taught in business class. to the o/p....fast, cheap, correct. pick 2

what your not looking at is the NET per hr... high over head lowers your NET.

Who's going to pay you $4000 labor to build a vw beetle engine @ $100hr?? which you might keep 1/2 of with your high overhead..

much easier to collect $2000 labor, keep 95% of it and actually have the work you like to do

low over head give a freedom to pick and choose the jobs, and a freedom to work the pace you choose.

are you a slave to your job/overhead? bound to the 40+ hr work week? most likely..
think I recall you saying once that you rarely work on air cooled any more 'cause you can't make any money in them anymore...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:

Who's going to pay you $4000 labor to build a vw beetle engine @ $100hr?? which you might keep 1/2 of with your high overhead..

CB, CPR and others have no issue collecting that kind of $$, so why should anyone else be different?

there is a place in GA that does T4's for 20K+....so, what's your point?

it takes me a lot longer the 40 hours to build an engine. I can assemble one in 2 hours. which would you rather?

and yes, I seldom do aircooled for clients any more. when I can make more money doing other things with less drama it's a no brainer.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:

CB, CPR and others have no issue collecting that kind of $$, so why should anyone else be different? umm, no, they don't.. they are not selling a $6000 turnkey engine with dual carbs with a $4K labor attached to it...

there is a place in GA that does T4's for 20K+....so, what's your point? Raby? nickel cyls and ceramic coated heads, etc. will get you there..

it takes me a lot longer the 40 hours to build an engine. I can assemble one in 2 hours. which would you rather? sure, high performance and stokers can get to 60+ hrs to build-no argument there.., but if your "assembling" a 2 hr. motor, it no wonder you have "drama" with them..

and yes, I seldom do aircooled for clients any more. when I can make more money doing other things with less drama it's a no brainer.Fantastic!! keep them coming my way, 'cause I don't mind them at all..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

I like you paul. you're a funny guy.

guess the biz is so good, you want to sell it. looks like you are in the 80-100 range (or you sure as hell suggest that in your ad)...so, I guess it all depends on who is buying or selling the time, and what it's worth, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but hey, you're the boss Wink

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

I like you paul. you're a funny guy.

guess the biz is so good, you want to sell it. looks like you are in the 80-100 range (or you sure as hell suggest that in your ad)...so, I guess it all depends on who is buying or selling the time, and what it's worth, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

but hey, you're the boss Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thanks for the plug!!!
In this world EVERYTHING is for sale!! And at my discounted price, I can set the next generation in motion without raking them over the coals..

What you don't know, however, is that the surrounding labor rates in my area are in the $130's now, and that I own the buildings and can set the rental rate to help the next generation prosper without them having to make it up from over charging the customers to satisfy a high overhead.

Personally, I'll be doing this another 10+ years, whether or not I'm at the helm will depend on whether or not the next generation can absorb the values I hold for taking care of customers if they pass on to them.

Treating people like people and helping them take car of their cars at a reasonable price has served my business well.

How about you..you see them as just an invoice # with a price tag??
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

Quote:

had some pretty high quotes for this work.....

What kind of figures are you getting?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

What are you wanting to build? And what is a lot of money are the shops asking to rebuild yours?

I have a new parts build 2054cc (74 x 94) on the rack now w/ big valves head about to bolt on. Case is a virgin AJ-series case. Engle 120 cam.

Was your old engine not performing why you did a cam swap?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wambo73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builder in Western Maryland Reply with quote

Cam swap was done because the engine was a turbo engine for a short time, so it had a turbo cam and heads with 62cc chambers for pretty low compression. So I ordered the panchito heads with 52cc and the new cam to make it more N/A build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: