Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too much difference between Carbs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaime.barriga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 1600SP that was recently rebuilt with new dual Weber ICT 34, I set the carbs with 2 1/2 mixture and 1 1/2 for speed. Using a sync tool the Left carburator is 4.5 kg/h and the right carburetor is 2.5 kg/h, there is a lot of difference ,what could be the problem ? Could be something with the engine or only with the carbs ?

Altitude where i live : 8392 feet
Timing : 7° BTDC
Jets :
• Air Correction Jet: 2.1
• Emulsion Tube: F6
• Main Jet: 1.20
• Pump Jet: .50
• Idle Jet: .50
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Adjust one side to match the other with the linkage disconnected.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

If you're not getting results easily with the carbs, test the engine's compression numbers. If it's a new engine , have you readjusted the valves after cam break-in?
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Is the balance tube and linkage connected?

They need to be removed for initial setup up. You will need to plug the balance tube port until after the initial setup or you will have a massive vacuum leak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaime.barriga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Quote:
Adjust one side to match the other with the linkage disconnected.

If i do that then the speed screw in the R carb is like 2 1/2 versus L carb 1 1/2 and i have "dieseling" problems Sad

Quote:
If it's a new engine , have you readjusted the valves after cam break-in?

Not yet.

Quote:
Is the balance tube and linkage connected?

I did the set up with :
-Balance tune : connected
-Linkage : disconnected

Interesting i did not see in any guide that the balance tube should be disconnected for the set up.

Thanks for your answers.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Ok, do your cam break in at 2500 rpm, then let it cool off (preferably overnight), then do the valve adjustment, cold, then try adjusting carbs/linkage/timing for idle.

And if there's any doubt, take a compression test, just the simple one, not the leak-down test (yet). It's best to know, not to waste time chasing false leads.
jaime.barriga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. is it necessary to disconnect the Balance tube to set up the carbs ?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

clamp the balance tube closed for syncing, but leave it open for setting idle mixture(s).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaime.barriga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much difference between Carbs Reply with quote

Ok, thanks John.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: