Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp upgrade option
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

After a couple years of work, I finally got my oval on the road. It has a stock 36hp with the WW Okrasa kit on it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm finding it hard to keep the carbs properly tuned, and that I'm wanting a little more zip out of the engine. I'm thinking about doing the crank and cam this winter but am looking for an option for replacing the carbs. I've been looking at the "Souping up the VW" book (see the tech specs in the picture) and was originally thinking it might be nice to build my engine into a 1500 super. After seeing how much machining would be involved I started looking at the Denzel 1300 specs. What are the thoughts on building a similar engine using the dual port heads and stroker crank from WW, a set of 40mm Carbs (solex or weber) and matching the valve sizing? It would be a 77x69.5 instead of a 78x67 but seems close enough to be doable.

hoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

Reed,

Beautiful engine. Did you have Joe Ruiz (Mr. Okrasa) re-bush and setup those carbs before installing them?
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

Thx, no I haven't had the carbs re-bushed yet. I want to see what other options are out there first before I spend more money on these carbs.
ibilisi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

txoval is working on such a build right now. Speedwell intakes on okrasa heads with 40s. Well, I'm not sure whether he had the ports altered on the okrasa heads but I know they were tweaked by Mr.Motorhead here on thesamba.

tobiasax did something similar but used Stefig Zenith manifolds and a 69mm crank, stock cam.

I would search the "Drag Racing and a 36hp unlimited class" thread for a bunch of information and HP and Flow numbers on many combinations and maybe check posts by those guys for their recent thoughts.
ibilisi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

Oh and here is the link to Mr.Okrasa's ad on tuneup of the carbs. I believe they don't have the original spec jets installed which he will handle when he rebushes as hoss mentioned : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1316478
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

I ended up going with dual Italian 36IDF's

Okrasa heads, intake ports were lightly cleaned up, exhaust ports had a lot of work done, three angle valve job

I still need to complete the install...but wouldn't hesitate if I was you.

Beautiful car!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

36 drla's on speedwell manifolds, everything else as you describe.

would be an awesome engine

oh and look into having the combustion chambers welded and shaped.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

Do you want to keep the engine period correct? If so, DRLA's or IDF's would not fit the bill. Dual Zenith's would be a better option.
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp upgrade option Reply with quote

As much as I'd love to stay period correct, I've had to compromise for safety, by adding disc brakes, seat belts and modern tires. Would love a nice set of 40PIIs if I could find them but also like the idea of best carb for my money. So it'll probably come down to what I can find. I think my best option right now would be to get these repro Solexs sent off to Mr Okrasa, so I can at least drive the car for the rest of the season. Then I can work on the engine while the snow flies.

Here's another few pics

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: