Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
9jdmoney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Ignition question Reply with quote

I just picked up a 68 beetle and am having ignition problems, well not really a huge problem. When i turn the key,the car will turn and turn but when you let off, and the key goes back to accessories, it starts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition question Reply with quote

First off you posted twice. So if you go and delete the other one before someone responds to it....

As to your problem, it could be one of two things.

1. Ignition switch is worn in such a way as to cause in "Start" position is failing to send voltage to the coil at same time.

2. You have a voltage drop to or from the ignition switch, or bad ground, causing the coil to not have enough voltage to operate. When you turn off the starter the engine is still rotating just enough to fire off the first cylinder that is in firing position, and because the starter is no longer drawing so much electrical power, the coil suddenly has enough voltage to function.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition question Reply with quote

9jdmoney wrote:
When i turn the key,the car will turn and turn but when you let off, and the key goes back to accessories, it starts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

BTW that is the "Run" position of the switch that the key springs back to when you let go of it.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
1. Ignition switch is worn in such a way as to cause in "Start" position is failing to send voltage to the coil at same time.

^This^

I have had it happen to me before...twice. This is also one reason why people (including myself) install the "Hot Start" relays directly from their starters to their batteries. It takes the high voltage path from the battery and sends it straight to the starter, instead of going through the Ignition switch.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition question Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
This is also one reason why people (including myself) install the "Hot Start" relays directly from their starters to their batteries. It takes the high voltage path from the battery and sends it straight to the starter, instead of going through the Ignition switch.

The Hard Start Relay is wired into the #50 starter solenoid circuit and does what you describe for just THAT circuit.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP has a problem with a different circuit. The #15 circuit that runs to the fuse box and ignition coil is where he is possibly having problems. The HSR in the #50 circuit won't help with this.
It is possible to install a separate relay into the #15 circuit as well, but it creates a small problem with engine run on due to current "back flowing" thru the Gen light circuit. A 1A diode can be used to fix this.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: