Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bug to porsche 914 tranny.. good or bad?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
migsmagic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: bug to porsche 914 tranny.. good or bad? Reply with quote

I'm looking at changing my tranny from a stock high speed vw tranny to porsche 914 tranny.. will it do any good? is it worth it? do I need to change my flywheel as well? Thanks!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: bug to porsche 914 tranny.. good or bad? Reply with quote

There are a lot of thorough threads on this subject. A stock 901 4 cylinder trans has about the same final gearing as a type one but different gear sets are available for the 901. Some say it does not make a big difference if you make the gear set work in the opposite direction. I think the flywheel is different and the 901 has a road coarse IH pattern instead of a HI so it is more prone to grinding into reverse especially if worn. If you can get the the parts collected it is the cheapest 5 speed option. The 901 has a weak input shaft so you can't abuse it in first gear but it is a road coarse transaxle anyways.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: bug to porsche 914 tranny.. good or bad? Reply with quote

There are 2 different 914 trannys... tail shift and side shift. You need a tail shift. You also need to flip the r/p or you'll have 4 reverse and 1 forward gear since the 194 is mid engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: