Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor vents 1961
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

I have a question about original Floor vents on a 1961 Beetle.

I am planning on buying a really nice looking 61 Gulf Blue beetle, which has had a thorough resto by the looks of it.
If it has been welded anywhere it has been nicely done cause it's not visible. Not everything that has been done on the car has been documented though.
Work was done in 1995 and in 2009 engine/gearbox/breaks have been overhauled.

Mu question is:
I looked at the floor vents, and the mechanism that holds the sliding door is missing, that would implicate the channels have been replaced somewhere in time right?. Should that worry me? Or do you guys think, the early repro heater channels (<1995) are decent.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

for reference:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by QuicksilverG4 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1962 Reply with quote

Heater channel seems original

QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1962 Reply with quote

Thnx, the image was a reference Smile

On the 61, the sliding mechanism is missing, so I'm thinkin it's not original.
But I'm wondering what the quality is of these <1995 Heater Channels,
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1962 Reply with quote

Ops, sorry ... I don't know this ... the topic says 62
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

Ow My bad :/
It's a 61 Smile
compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

i have a 61 and I don't have slider doors on mine. I don't even have that rail to put one if there was.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

62 was the start of the sliding covers
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

my 61 has no heater doors, original family car, never had them since new. Mine was an early 61 production.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

1961 = ... no front heater sliding covers.

The sliding covers started for 1962 model year around the time poor attempt at rear floor heat was implemented.

Starting at VIN 4010995

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

You guys are awesome!
Thnx, made my day Smile
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

Yeah, I added heater sliders to my 61 Baja.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

Nice, you had to weld a bit then right?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

QuicksilverG4 wrote:
Nice, you had to weld a bit then right?

the rail could be effectivly riveted or screwed down in to place, without lifting the carpet, you would never see it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
QuicksilverG4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

That would be a nice way to fix it, thnx
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

I had to drill out the welds on the car I took the "channels" off of (I think, 65) but as mentioned, I just used a couple of self tapping screws to secure them to my car's body.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor vents 1961 Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660946&highlight=heater+vent
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: