Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

puts the oil on threads.....
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

I pulled a sparking bolt today to see just what I have in there Shocked (wasent what I thought) I thought I had 4 prongs but only 2 prongs, too long ago to remember. they have been in there for well over 8 years...and...the oil I put on the threads was still there and oilily too!! Ive heard all kinds of things people put on thier sparking threads from pepto to milanta,silycone,antizeeze and more. Ive always just used a drop or 2 of oil.and apparently it works for long term.
Wallmart took their bosch plugs off the shelvs about 2 years ago.I asked one of the managers about 2 weeks ago if they were ever coming back,he siad a lot of guys have asked him that, my reply was..kinda stupid to not to. well I had assumed they had sent them back or something. but 4 days ago they showed up back on the wall...thus the reason I had to pull a plug.I got about 6 sets both 2&4 electrode platinums and the iridum/platinums in a few different heat ranges. and the best part......$2.50~$3.00 a pair. I need to find that guy and asked where the champion iridium sport plugs went, they had then in the 3/4x12mm for my small plug 044's& 910 heads. I had 6 sets of those for my personal stuff ,but.... they seemed to of got away in costumers engines Shocked
and the plug I pulled...looks great,and may never need changed.
bosch has changed thier number system somany times on sparking bolts Im suprized any body carries them.i had to look at the discontinued charts on the bosche site to see the new numbers and numbers inbetween and the lettering inbetween and now again to see what is what. how stupid.but they do make an awesome plug that last forever.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

30 years ago I was taught to put anti-seize on plugs, and had a few issues with stripped plug threads. 15 years ago somebody else taught me to put 2 drops of oil on the threads and I have never had an issue since.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

You can urinate on the threads and the water, chloride, sodium and potassium with seize the threads and you can quit f*#kin with the plugs.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

Good I'm glad we all agree on the procedure.
But what kind of oil?
VR1? castrol? gibbs? brad pen? mt1? gl4/gl5?
Synthetic or conventional? Snake50 or mystery marvel? Used oil or new oil?

Razz
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

If your going to oil your threads, you MUST use a new bottle of the Royal Purple 20w50 break in oil. Make sure it's fresh and not one that been sitting on the shelf a long time. Anything else will cause your engine to overheat, or spontaneously explode.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

Lol Mark that oil might not be the same 2 drops from 8 years ago. That could be fresh oil cause its getting past your rings now.

Idea
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

When they first built these cars at the factory they didn't use anything on the plug threads. It's always worked for me. The important thing is to torque them to the proper torque.
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

is zinc additive needed in the oil, if oiling the threads?
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

and if just checking plugs and oil was used initially...do you use break in oil again upon their re-installation?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

Have you changed the spark plugs in your ford lately?
Somebody finally sued em! Laughing

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/settlements/ford-settlement-spark-plugs-fords-and-lincolns
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Have you changed the spark plugs in your ford lately?
Somebody finally sued em! Laughing

http://www.classactionsreporter.com/settlements/ford-settlement-spark-plugs-fords-and-lincolns

That is one job I will never miss doing. this is the only place I've ever used or recommended Champion plugs. 'Bout time someone held Ford accountable for a really shitty design that cost customers tons of money.

brad
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

I've always put a little white Lithium grease on the threads before installing them. It seems to make removal pretty easy.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

One drop from the dipstick seems to work.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

I like to use copper based anti-seize on sparkplugs.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
and if just checking plugs and oil was used initially...do you use break in oil again upon their re-installation?

What?

You know you are supposed to keep some of the oil you used when breaking in the engine!!!! That's the only way to ensure that you have the proper lube on all fasteners and plugs for the life of the engine!

Very Happy

All joking aside, I used to swear by anti-seize on everything, but since i went to oiling my threads, everything seems to actually work out better, even on exhaust nuts. I usually pull out the dipstick, and put a drop of oil (dirty or clean, doesn't seem to matter) on the threads. i rub it on to make sure it's in each thread evenly, and wipe off the excess. since doing this my plugs seem to be much easier to remove, even when super tight. I only use anti-seize on lug bolts for my wheels or big stuff now.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

One time what at Home Depot picking up some household stuff I decided to get more anti-seize while I was there. I think I ended up talking to three different guys and none of them had any idea what I was talking about. I should have just walked away after the first guy gave me that blank stare when I tried to explain it. After you get in the habit of using it, it really makes your life easier.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: puts the oil on threads..... Reply with quote

Ive seen antiseeze dry up and not do much good.also it has a insulating factor too.I gess it could be oil passing the rings around uranus mr jpaul...but my bug dosnt use oil like that so....no. honnestly I dont know what oil it is....since I run many full synthetic oils to ge the best of what each have to offer....even the slight seep that almost requires adding about a ounce of oil after a year of daily driving.I do mix a blend oil with the full syn now, quakerstate deffy 5-20, I do like the bennifits of very small amounts of zinc for the gears...lifters too i gess. but only a small amount as it can cause detonation&chamber deposits...if it gets past the rings....around...... Wink also the bosch are nickel plated so that also helps keep the threads alive.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: