Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My "new" '67... Purist's beware...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just picked up another 1967 project/toy. I believe it has a 1500 CC motor in it. Lowered. Not chopped up. I let my first '67 go, and haven't been happy with the last two that I've had. I really like this one, and plan on building it up. I have a tendency to not update my threads, but I will definitely try on this one.

Things I've done since I've purchased it.

Brakes Front/Rear
Brake Lines
Master Cylinder
Pedal Assembly
Fuel Lines
Clutch/Tube
Throw Out Bearing
Heater Hoses
Rear Wheel Bearings
Color Matched Empi 5 Spoke wheels to the car
"Patina'd" the paint
Radio + 4- 6x9 speakers + 12" sub

I think that's it so far?

Current Plans:
Build an 1835cc for it
Narrowed front beam, drop spindles, disc brakes
Rear drop plates (http://atomwerk.org/Swing_Axle_Introductory_Plates.html) Any one have any reviews?

When I got it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Since I've gotten it:

Before you lose your mind about the paint, it was just rustoleum spray paint. It did not look as good as the first pictures show it to be.
I believe the car was original red, interior is red, after all the layers I went through during the patina, red seems to be the base of it all.

Let me know what you think.

Sorry purists Twisted Evil
1967 Bug *Purists Beware* http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8190523#8190523
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamlit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Nice bug and looking forward to your build.
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Jamlit wrote:
Nice bug and looking forward to your build.

Thanks, I will try my hardest to keep it updated!!
1967 Bug *Purists Beware* http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8190523#8190523
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Liking it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Is this a great country or what?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

I never understood why people insist on changing colors without painting the interior/undersides etc. My 64 happens to be white as well with green interior under trunk etc. from a previous repaint. And from the looks was most likely a nice paint job. They painted it white and put Herbie stickers on it 🙄

Either way, I like it. Not a huge fan of the fauxtina but has a nice stance and I've been a fan of color matched 5 spokes since the late 80's. Kind makes it look like a survivor from back in the day. Shots of interior?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Like Sharp64 Not a huge fan of the fauxtina. Probably cause one of mine is the real deal. However its your ride so make it your own. Thing is you would high center trying to get in our our of the local Sonic or MacDonalds and push a lot of water when it rains.
How does it ride when it is that low? or Steer?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Like Sharp64 Not a huge fan of the fauxtina. Probably cause one of mine is the real deal. However its your ride so make it your own. Thing is you would high center trying to get in our our of the local Sonic or MacDonalds and push a lot of water when it rains.
How does it ride when it is that low? or Steer?

The only problem I have is I catch the muffler. I can get over speed bumps, atleast the ones around here. It's bumpy as hell. Maybe because no front shocks and the reads are blown. That's why I want to get the atomwerk spring plates. I heard nothing but good things. Steering is ok. I lost some turn radius, but overall it's good.
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Front seat is a little thrashed

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

I have a set of black seat covers that came out of my 64 if youre interested. Might have to make some cuts here and there, but honestly, it looks like you may have earlier seats in it anyways. LMK.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Might want to secure those back seat items in case of a hard stop.
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I have a set of black seat covers that came out of my 64 if youre interested. Might have to make some cuts here and there, but honestly, it looks like you may have earlier seats in it anyways. LMK.

I appreciate the offer, but the interior will be going red soon. Rebuild the seats an all.
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Tool box is way to heavy to topple over, but the speakers might. I'll strap those down. Thank you for the tip.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Fowl3r wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Tool box is way to heavy to topple over, but the speakers might. I'll strap those down. Thank you for the tip.

Might not topple over in a panic stop. Getting rear ended, or you rear ending someone, or any other accident you weren't expecting will turn that tool box in to a battering ram though.

Love the look of the car btw. You buy it in the Manteca area?
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Fowl3r wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Might not topple over in a panic stop. Getting rear ended, or you rear ending someone, or any other accident you weren't expecting will turn that tool box in to a battering ram though.

Love the look of the car btw. You buy it in the Manteca area?

You right you right. Ill strap it all down.

Yes, bought from a friend of a friend out in Manteca. I'm in San Jose. I was on the hunt. An his buddy posted it to IG that it was for sale. I was there two days later.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

How about just getting the tool box out of the interior all together?
That way in a collision you don't have to worry it flying around the inside of the car possibly killing someone.
Just put it in the trunk and be done with it.
Also, Is your battery clamped in place? Those can kill as well. You don't want a battery tumbling through the inside of the car in a roll over either.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
How about just getting the tool box out of the interior all together?
That way in a collision you don't have to worry it flying around the inside of the car possibly killing someone.
Just put it in the trunk and be done with it.
Also, Is your battery clamped in place? Those can kill as well. You don't want a battery tumbling through the inside of the car in a roll over either.
Good Luck.

Yes battery is clamped down.
john the red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

I dig I dig. Nice stance. I think you could use a little more fauxtina myself. I am a fan because one of mine is fauxed out too.
I think I need a foggie or two myself....
Fowl3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My "new" '67... Purist's beware... Reply with quote

john the red wrote:
I dig I dig. Nice stance. I think you could use a little more fauxtina myself. I am a fan because one of mine is fauxed out too.
I think I need a foggie or two myself....

Foggie?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: