Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ladder question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
California562
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: ladder question Reply with quote

kind of a dumb question i know but just wondering if you all think ladders are worth it for the vanagons. have a westfalia. and, if so, which one you recommend I'll be putting a canoe on top of mine too - have the yakima extension on the side that comes out to help load and unload when solo. may want to put a storage box on top sometimes too. my other friend just uses a stool or stands on the tires or door sills or sliding door sill. are they worth it? anyone get one and think afterwards, 'damn, i wish i got that sooner'? i noticed GoWesty has one that telescopes for 100$ i think but maybe one that is mounted and permanent would be better? thanks
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

Below is a fun thread that can help as you wonder about ladders. I prefer the telescoping ladder due to its versatility: it elevates me on the passenger side, then the driver's side, then near the tree in the campsite where I want to hang the tarp, etc.

Enjoy...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636529

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy has a nice ladder the hangs off the gutter at the top and has the rod the gets inserted in the jacking point on the bottom. Works fairly well.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Rocky Mountain Westy has a nice ladder the hangs off the gutter at the top and has the rod the gets inserted in the jacking point on the bottom. Works fairly well.

I got that one a while back and really like it. It does have a certain cool factor.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

we've been packing our 3 foot step stool ladder....and it works well (we have a westy w/ a Thule moutaineer roof box). I'm 5'7 and can reach 90% of everywhere in the roof box (can't reach the far back corner nor the far front corner).

The side mount RMW ladder seems nice, but due to my box opening on right side of the vehicle, moving the ladder over there to get in and then moving it away so the slider doesnt hit it seems like more work, but I've never used one so I have no idea how easy it is to setup and take off, might only take 5s.

But with all this said, I want to compare the telescoping ladder collapsed size to the folding step stool, if they take up the same internal space, I see myself purchasing that in the near future.

California562 - how long does it take to detach the RMW ladder and put back on? (I recall it is a peg at the bottom for the jack point and a raingutter clip for the top...I could see it being very fast to take on and off)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

I bought a Gary Lee side ladder from a Samba member. Solid as a rock, very stable, splits in two to pack away easily.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/sladder/sladder.htm

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

I have and very much like the RMW side ladder. I had a telescoping unit like the one GW sells but after a weekend at the beach it stopped working, too many moving parts IMPO.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

That telescopic ladder
We had one on one boat I was on and I thought it worked, it is a good idea, but it was more of a p.i.t.a to store it.

The RMW ladder is basically simple and light weight. breaks down easy to store if you do not have it permanently mounted. I do not like it permanently mounted, but others seem to like it.
What I do not like about it is the single point insertion rod going into the jack point- it does not support the ladder from swaying to one side of the other as you step on it. Yes-this is a picky little point Laughing but it could be improved upon.

The Gary Lee ladder works, but if you are on uneven ground how stable is it? Where as the RMW ladder inserted into the jacking point eliminates the two feet on the ground wobbling. It is easier to store being a flat design, whereas the RMW is made to fit around the curve of the body so it is not flat so you need to find a place to store it or mount it permanently.

All in all ladders are like anything else-subjective to the individual buying it. Opinions can go up and down! Rolling Eyes

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

The Gary Lee ladder works, but if you are on uneven ground how stable is it?

It doesn't actually attach to the side, it just leans against it so that gives a bit more leeway for making it stable. If it's on uneven ground, then I suppose the chances of wobble increase. The one I have was purchased used and has a bit of padding taped across the top area so it doesn't have to line up perfectly with the drip rail; it can be moved around quite a bit until it's stable.

It's really stout, no flex whatsoever, so I think that helps.

I'm a clumsy, balance-challenged idiot on any ladder and, after using this one extensively, I have yet to fall off. Yet. Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

The Gary Lee ladder works, but if you are on uneven ground how stable is it?

It doesn't actually attach to the side, it just leans against it so that gives a bit more leeway for making it stable. If it's on uneven ground, then I suppose the chances of wobble increase. The one I have was purchased used and has a bit of padding taped across the top area so it doesn't have to line up perfectly with the drip rail; it can be moved around quite a bit until it's stable.

It's really stout, no flex whatsoever, so I think that helps.

I'm a clumsy, balance-challenged idiot on any ladder and, after using this one extensively, I have yet to fall off. Yet. Smile

Thanks for that info.

katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

Reviving this thread...

I'm trying to decide between the telescoping ladder from GoWesty vs. the Rocky Mountain Westy side ladder for more than twice the price.

We'd be using this to access the luggage rack to put our folding chairs and table up there when we go camping. I'm only 5'4" so while I can access it by stepping on the front seat it's not ideal. We have no roof rack at present.

I also want something that will make it possible for my daughter to get up to the luggage rack as she loves to sit up there and right now she is going out the front window of the pop top. She's a good climber and careful and steady on her feet so I don't worry about her up there but do want to give her a way to get up that doesn't require unzipping the front screen and window and or potentially ripping the new tent if she or one of her friends steps on the zipper area and pulls it too hard. Is the telescoping ladder pretty stable for a kid to climb on or would it be better to get the mounted side ladder and put it right behind the driver's side door (is that even possible)?

I don't love the idea of having one more thing to store so that puts a check in favor of the GMW side mounted ladder. But then the versatility of the telescoping ladder and the price puts 2 checks in that column. I guess my main question is do those who have either think they are safe and stable enough for a kid (who is a very good climber and will find a way up there either way)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

I just put the RMW ladder on my van. Honestly, i love the look, permanence and the face that i don't have to carry it elsewhere in the van. Its a bit expensive, but a fairly quality product for the money.

One thing though. the part that mounts in the jack point is BS. Its a smaller diameter tube thats expected to be held LOOSELY in place via 2 pins. Best case scenario, it rattles around when you drive. (i drove about 100 yards before i got pissed, went home and fixed it).
I recommend putting the tube into the jackpoint, lining up dead center on the ladder tube and drilling a hole though the bottom side of the jack point. Then, use a tap to tap the threads and use a bolt as a sort of set screw to hold the round ladder bar in place. You can also use a locker screw to keep the set screw from backing out.
Its a fairly easy fix, though i wish they had a better system for this portion of the ladder set up.

Other than that, i love the mounted RMW ladder.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

I've had the RMW ladder for years. Love it. Never had a noise issue with it. The 2 pins are designed well so that you can either extend the ladder a few extra inches away from the body of the van (when climbing on it) or draw it closer to the body (when driving).

However, katstan, I don't know if it would suit your purposes as well as an extendable ladder because you want a ladder for accessing the luggage rack above the cab. The RMW ladder provides acces to the roof above the jack stand in front of the rear wheel. I don't think it's a good idea to climb up the middle/rear of the van and walk across the fiberglass roof to get to the luggage rack. The RMW ladder is really perfect for accessing Thule boxes or other roof rack mounted items, not so much for gaining access to the luggage rack.

The only other minor issue with the RMW ladder is when washing the van. You have to work around it a bit. Not an issue with a rag/sponge, more so with the "foamy brush" at a self serve car wash. Regardless, I wouldn't even want a roof rack without a RMW ladder.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

We bought a gowesty telescopic ladder for my 4 year old to get up and down from the pop top sleeping area by himself. We enjoy having it for getting up to the luggage rack, hanging line from a tree and putting tuck tape on the cracked leaking roof! It fits in the space inside the pop top, across tbe van so it's a zero-space loss for us. It also fits under the bench or behind the driver seat if you are so inclined. We don't have a Thule so I can't compare to the fixed ladder but I imagine the GoWesty ladder would be fine. Other than the awning this was the best van upgrade so far as it gave our child the independence to move around our van on his own.

I would be worried about sand or dust as a previous post mentioned as there are many moving parts.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

I know it wasn't one of the options you're looking at, but I'd recommend looking at the Gary Lee ladder. Probably one of the best purchases I made for my Vanagon. I was running cross bars with a Thule box, so I needed to be able to get to different areas of the roof, and the ladder is easy to move around to where you need it to be. It leans against the rain gutter, so you can place it anywhere along the side of the van from front to back depending on your needs. It also worked good inside for my kid to climb up to the top bunk.
The newer versions also have adjustable feet at the bottom to level it out on uneven ground. It's also easy to store- it breaks down in 1/2 and because it's only about 2" thick, it fits nicely under the rear mattress or under the back seat. It's super strong and sturdy, but not too heavy or bulky. All of Gary's stuff I've seen is top quality. It's not the cheapest ladder out there, but it will probably outlast you Vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

I know it's an extra step but it doesn't require any extra gear.

we access the westy storage rack from inside the van thru the front screen. it's a much shorter distance from the van floor to the bin than the ground to bin. though I'm 6ft, my SO stands on the cooler if needed.

katstan wrote:
Reviving this thread...

I'm trying to decide between the telescoping ladder from GoWesty vs. the Rocky Mountain Westy side ladder for more than twice the price.

We'd be using this to access the luggage rack to put our folding chairs and table up there when we go camping. I'm only 5'4" so while I can access it by stepping on the front seat it's not ideal. We have no roof rack at present.

I also want something that will make it possible for my daughter to get up to the luggage rack as she loves to sit up there and right now she is going out the front window of the pop top. She's a good climber and careful and steady on her feet so I don't worry about her up there but do want to give her a way to get up that doesn't require unzipping the front screen and window and or potentially ripping the new tent if she or one of her friends steps on the zipper area and pulls it too hard. Is the telescoping ladder pretty stable for a kid to climb on or would it be better to get the mounted side ladder and put it right behind the driver's side door (is that even possible)?

I don't love the idea of having one more thing to store so that puts a check in favor of the GMW side mounted ladder. But then the versatility of the telescoping ladder and the price puts 2 checks in that column. I guess my main question is do those who have either think they are safe and stable enough for a kid (who is a very good climber and will find a way up there either way)?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I know it wasn't one of the options you're looking at, but I'd recommend looking at the Gary Lee ladder. Probably one of the best purchases I made for my Vanagon. I was running cross bars with a Thule box, so I needed to be able to get to different areas of the roof, and the ladder is easy to move around to where you need it to be. It leans against the rain gutter, so you can place it anywhere along the side of the van from front to back depending on your needs. It also worked good inside for my kid to climb up to the top bunk.
The newer versions also have adjustable feet at the bottom to level it out on uneven ground. It's also easy to store- it breaks down in 1/2 and because it's only about 2" thick, it fits nicely under the rear mattress or under the back seat. It's super strong and sturdy, but not too heavy or bulky. All of Gary's stuff I've seen is top quality. It's not the cheapest ladder out there, but it will probably outlast you Vanagon.

Oh interesting... I hadn't seen that one before. I do like the idea of the moveable Gary Lee ladder hooking onto the rain gutter vs. just leaning but I don't know if I want to pony up the extra $100+ for that feature. Also I like the fact that the GoWesty telescoping ladder can be stored in the pop top in front of the bunk and used for hanging lines in trees. On the one hand I like the idea of something I don't have to store but then as Jerry pointed out the RMW ladder only gets you onto the roof, which doesn't really help for access to the luggage rack - especially if the top is popped.

I think I'm getting sold on the GoWesty ladder much as I like features of the other two.

Last edited by katstan on Tue May 09, 2017 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I know it's an extra step but it doesn't require any extra gear.

we access the westy storage rack from inside the van thru the front screen. it's a much shorter distance from the van floor to the bin than the ground to bin. though I'm 6ft, my SO stands on the cooler if needed.

That's how my daughter gets up there now now but I worry about having kids climbing through and stepping on the area around the window screen on the pop top tent. We just replaced it and, granted the other one was 27 years old and I'd sprayed it with bleach, but it tore at that area where the zipper is. Her other method, which I have since banned, is climbing up the windshield and stepping on the windshield wipers. Shocked
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
It's not the cheapest ladder out there, but it will probably outlast you Vanagon.

This is true--it is very, very sturdy.

I had mine strapped to the back of my Paulchen rack on our last trip, easy to access and really handy if you carry stuff on the roof.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: ladder question Reply with quote

My vote is the Gary Lee ladder we have. It is a little heavy but will never fail!

I called Gary to say "Man, brilliant that your ladder fits inch-perfect under the bench seat, even when the bed's made up!!!"

He went quiet a second and replied, "It does?"

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: