Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake conversion question.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caddyman3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Rear brake conversion question. Reply with quote

Has anyone out there upgraded there rear drum brakes on a MK1 to disc brakes without installing rear brake proportioning valves and lived to tell about it?. How necessary are the proportioning valves for safe road driving?

Also how necessary is it to upgrade the master cylinder to a larger bore and/or change the booster.

I'm upgrading a 1983 Caddy with rear disc parts from a MK2; 1989 Jetta Carat; Girling calipers
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: rear brake conversion question. Reply with quote

IMO, the large drums on the rear of your caddy are better than discs, & you don't have an issue of figuring out how to make a parking brake cable.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rear brake conversion question. Reply with quote

Discs are useless unless you are doing some serious track work. I had mkII drums which are the same as caddy drums (200mm) that I put on my Rabbit and towed the Scirroco race car, our mkIII Golf and my 4X8 utility trailer with. Franky, it needed bigger front brakes, as they do most of the stopping, with a load or not. And the fact that a caddy has little weight at the rear makes them even more unnecessary. But, Im sure this is just for looks....
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake conversion question. Reply with quote

rear lock up, rotors turn blue.... in 94 when i did mine... added 16v rocco ones, problem solved... this was in a mk1 jetta, spring loaded prop valve stock...

i also feel it to be unbalanced with out 10.1" fronts.. got my brackets from a audi 4000 quattro as lots of them vs rocco in 94... same bracket Smile

its only car i have ever done the swap on... and i was doing stupid youth stuff in it.. rest of my stiff i run the big rear drums...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: