Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sway or not to sway
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

It appears my Ghia used to have a sway bar judging by the one remaining rubber bush left attached.

I'm told I have a selecta-drop front end, I'm not sure if it is a narrowed or not.

Does this mean I don't need a sway bar OR should I replace it?

Thanks for replies.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

Front sway bars were standard on ghia's but I am not sure what happens if the beam is narrowed.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

At a minimum, I would install the stock 3/8" front sway bar or go with a larger 3/4" aftermarket front sway bar. It will help crosswind stability.

BTW, I doubt your front end is narrowed. By the time people started narrowing front ends, there were far better options for lowering than the Select A Drop. Laughing
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, I doubt your front end is narrowed. By the time people started narrowing front ends, there were far better options for lowering than the Select A Drop. Laughing

X2!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

My beam is 4 inch narrowed and so has a narrowed sway bar to fit.
If not suppled with the beam, a sway bars have to be made up. It requires someone with the correct methods to temper the steel properly around the bends.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

Thank you all for your feed back, very much appreciated. I'm going to purchase a new sway bar thanks to your advice. Very Happy
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

Narrowed beams = narrowed sway bar and tie rods to match
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sway or not to sway Reply with quote

Unless you're a purist, I would go with the thicker sway bar, as it would help handling. Also, depending on the year of car/type of transaxle, I would add a camber compensator and quality tires as well. I bought some Vredesteins a couple of years ago and they hold well when I push my lowlight through the mountain curves where I live.

Here's my link comparing Vredesteins to Nankangs:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595842&highlight=vredesteins

One thing I've heard about compensators is that they cause leakage from the transaxle side plates where the middle bracket mounts. To prevent this (I've never had leaks), before I mount the compensator into place I fit the bracket into place and see how tight the mounting ears are to the transaxle body. If there's any daylight between the ears and the side plates, the nuts might not be able to pull the side plate(s) firmly into place because one or more of the ears might be fighting the nuts. So, I bend the ears so that they fit firmly into place before mounting and tightening the nuts, preventing transaxle leaks.

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: