Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Electrical connection is an Adj. Headlight Level switch. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Looking at this diagram the adjustment motor moves the whole frame both the large and High beam together.
I would prefer it moved only the low/high beam as this lights up the side of the road whereas the High Beam I want aimed straight out forward. Moving it upwards with the Low/High Beam will take it off the road ahead.
Still...I'm not getting rid of this option!

The idea is that you adjust according to load affecting front/rear attitude - if it's set right for either low or high beam, it'll be good for the other as well.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Electrical connection is an Adj. Headlight Level switch. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

It's an idea I wish were on American cars, but seeing how awful many Americans about headlight etiquette it would be a disaster. It's dammed useful on dark roads.

Good god, it seems most of the morons on US roads prefer fog lights during sunny days, high-beams anytime at night and basterdizing perfectly good headlights to turn them blue and point to the sky. Don't get me started about the idiots who are bewildered alwith the rear fog light option and run that all night.

The DOT has got its hands full already and I'm sure heads exploded at the thought of leaving headlight adjustment to 'mercian drivers.

That said, this was a feature on BMW motorcycle aftermarket fairings made by Luftmeister, an American company, in the 70s.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Found it on a 1991 Syncro under the dash behind the Fuse/Relay panel.
Edit: Turns out to be a switch used to raise or lower the headlight beams while driving.

Neat feature. Now I can see why I didn't see it in any of the Bentley diagrams.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Electrical connection is an Adj. Headlight Level switch. Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

The idea is that you adjust according to load affecting front/rear attitude - if it's set right for either low or high beam, it'll be good for the other as well.

Oh yeah I know that is the purpose, but I found it made a difference sometimes in the ability to see better depending on the road/traffic conditions.
The newer cars with the self-leveling lights are really accurate in keeping the same level where as this is adjusted subjective to the drivers opinion of what is right.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

This manual adjusting option is common here in the eu sold cars since the 90's. It is designed for adjusting the height of the lamps when the car is heavily loaded. There is a highest setting and as you turn the wheel on the switch the headlight tilts downward. Now the lamps are adjusted automatically, as the cars are usually equipped with HID headlights and those are more brighter and can be blinding.
As I know there are some federal laws (DOT?) that not allow the headlights to be adjusted wile the car is moving. There was a thread about it a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Electrical connection is an Adj. Headlight Level switch. Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Thanks for posting the diagram,
This information is not included in the Bentley as had been mentioned earlier. I would have thought Bentley would have the electrical schematic at least, but that is not in there either.

Looking at this diagram the adjustment motor moves the whole frame both the large and High beam together.
I would prefer it moved only the low/high beam as this lights up the side of the road whereas the High Beam I want aimed straight out forward. Moving it upwards with the Low/High Beam will take it off the road ahead.
Still...I'm not getting rid of this option!

Actually it sits in the large frame instead of on of the manual adjusters and move only the outer light. The inner high beam stays in the same position.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

Here is the original wiring diagram for the system:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

For those so inclined it cannot be rocket science to add this feature with off the shelf parts.

Two motors, a bit of creative mounting, a double throw momentary contact toggle switch, a bit of wiring and off you go!

Here is BMW's offering......

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/head...oppingFeed

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

The original motors are hard to find, but others do fit quite easily. Those of Golf MK2 or simular VW from that era will do fine. I had mine replace with those of a Passat. The three face twist lock fitted perfect, the little sphere on the actuator part was a bit to big, but wit a litte sanding it clicked in. The original 'switch' is still available as new part. ALso used in different VW/Audi of the late 80's/early 90's.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
For those so inclined it cannot be rocket science to add this feature with off the shelf parts.

Two motors, a bit of creative mounting, a double throw momentary contact toggle switch, a bit of wiring and off you go!

Here is BMW's offering......

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/head...oppingFeed

Dave

The actuators for the Vanagon are the same part on pretty much any VW from early 90s.

Switch comes in a couple of different designs. Depending on car it is either horizontal or vertical, and the steps are marked differently. But any switch will do the job if you are not too concerned about keeping it 100% original.

The headlight frame for the square lamps all have the mounting hole that fits the adjuster so they are pretty much plug and play.

But the frame for the round lamps come in early and late version, where only the latest have the correct large hole for the adjuster.

If I remember correct, the rubber o-ring for the actuator was a different thickness on metal frame (Vanagon and Golf 2) and plastic frame (Golf 3 and Passat 35i)

Wiring loom must be fabricated, but plugs can be had from the same car as the actuators.

I have all the parts lying around, but I have never taken my time to fit it. Maybe now I have the inspiration for it Smile
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

Jeroen_M625 wrote:
The original motors are hard to find, but others do fit quite easily. Those of Golf MK2 or simular VW from that era will do fine. I had mine replace with those of a Passat. The three face twist lock fitted perfect, the little sphere on the actuator part was a bit to big, but wit a litte sanding it clicked in. The original 'switch' is still available as new part. ALso used in different VW/Audi of the late 80's/early 90's.

Come to think of it... There were a couple of different adjusters as well. It has been some years since I collected these parts.

The one you should get is the one with a separate metal ball rod (sphere) not the (probably newer) all plastic one. And I think I had to adjust the length of the metal ball rod in order to get the initial adjustment correct. I'll check my parts bin and report back.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

Jeroen_M625 wrote:
The original 'switch' is still available as new part. ALso used in different VW/Audi of the late 80's/early 90's.

I think it is obvious that I need a new switch!

You would not have a part number for the switch would you? I doubt if it is something I can get over here in America. Do you have any idea of the reliability of these switches since mine is burned-do they have this problem?

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

I have all the parts lying around, but I have never taken my time to fit it. Maybe now I have the inspiration for it Smile

I know I said I found it useful for dark roads, but to clarify that, I drove one car where how it was connected that it really brought the headlamp aimed downwards a lot so much so that I could turn on the High Beams for more light when there was oncoming traffic. Then it was aimed just like the normal Low beam and it did not blind the oncoming cars, but I could see the road better and more importantly the side of the road.
Usually you do not have a problem with headlights blinding you across Europe from what I've experienced. It's the roads where there was a ditch with a no shoulders that I really liked the feature!
So that is something to think about in adjusting it when you set yours up.

In Europe where the H4 headlights have that exacting beam pattern you can do this .
In America where the DOT says it is impossible to adjust headlights side to side and mandates that 20% of the light goes upward to illuminate road signs I do not think it would work with the available stock headlights.
Plus you have the average American driver controlling it and that in itself would be a disaster.
Enough said about that as I don't want this thread to turn into a rant about driving.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

https://www.werk34.de/product_info.php/info/p19309_Schalter-Leuchtweitenregulierung-T3.html
941 251 333 B
http://www.ebay.de/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Schalter+H+he...+701941333
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
https://www.werk34.de/product_info.php/info/p19309_Schalter-Leuchtweitenregulierung-T3.html
941 251 333 B
http://www.ebay.de/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Schalter+H+he...+701941333

Thank you very much for those links! it is great to have them as a resource.

Especially this page! people you need to view this page!
https://www.werk34.de/index.php/cat/c2350_syncro-parts.html

However, the Billing page was not able to insert the billing phone number so no sale...argh!

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

So why did it get so toasted?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

just some speculation. The little motors got mechanically stuck, then the current raises and the internals got fried and shortened the red/blue wires to positive. Then the potentiometer inside the 'switch' got so hot that it melted and shortened the brown (earth) wires to positive. Or the liitle bulb was replaced wrongly (the part of the connector with those wires is fried the most).
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a 91 Syncro, and while figuring out some PO wiring hacking, I came across an empty plug behind the dashboard. It does not look alike the one posted in this Topic:

I checked and I do have the motors on the headlights:

2 questions:
- Could that plug be from the headlight motors?
- Where should the headlight level switch be located in the cabin?

Thanks already
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

StefDS wrote:
Hi All,

I have a 91 Syncro, and while figuring out some PO wiring hacking, I came across an empty plug behind the dashboard. It does not look alike the one posted in this Topic:

What you have there is a typical relay socket, not a plug for a switch. And in the original harness for the headlight level system there is no relay, so it is probably not for that.

The yellow and red wire reminds me of the scandinavian daytime running light relay, but I do not quite recognize the grey/red wire.

Do you know where in the world your van was delivered when new?
Jeroen_M625
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Adjustable Headlight Level switch. European smarts! Reply with quote

Grey, grey-red (and grey-black) are typical colors for low power lights like parking lights, dashboard lights. Could be used as signal input to switch relay on or off in case of DRL.

If not installed conform manufacturers wiring colors, it could just be anything.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: