Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New gas tank help
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAR60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: New gas tank help Reply with quote

My tank is a 61-67. I'm looking for the best aftermarket tank because I need to move the filler neck. Searching the forum I've heard about aftermarket tanks being thin and having leaks.
Anyone use these spectra tanks on Amazon?
2 day shipping good price.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

A quality tank can be had from Wolfsburg West for not a lot more that the cheapies. Its finished well, sturdy construction and is even powder coated. I installed one in a 66 bug last year and I'll be ordering another one shortly for a 63 that I doing.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CAR60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

Thanks I'm going to order one on Monday. I was hoping someone would comment on the spectra tank because it was 2 day shipping, but WW tank is powder coated already.

Thanks again,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

Car60,
I picked up a Spectra tank specifically to modify for my Deserter buggy.
Quality is nice, and metal plenty thick (0.030" thick), though maybe 1 gauge lighter that my OG EFI Bug tank.
The Spectra tanks are terne plated inside and out which should do well for corrosion purposes. This is a layer of ni-zinc applied to the steel prior to forming into the tank, which I gather is a fairly standard practice for fuel tank construction. Just be aware for modification, it can be a contamination source for welded areas. Easy enough to grind back areas for welding - I used a scotch-brite wheel in my 4.5" grinder. Also all of the fittings and filler tube are attached to the tank with this same zinc material that melts like solder.

Tank is plenty strong and well made in Canada, and tern plating would be superior to bare steel for corrosion resistance.
http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html

Jeff
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

As GS Guy stated, .030 is easily thick enough to cut and re-weld to move your filler neck. Any time you replace a tank, you should always coat the inside with a good quality gas tank sealer prior to use. KBS makes a nice sealer, Kreem, POR 15 and others. I've used KBS on dune buggies, Harley builds, and antique boat tanks with great success. Cut and weld, then seal the deal...just some advice from Unclebill's experience
CAR60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

Thanks uncle bill for your input. You kind of sealed the deal, I wasn't thinking about sealing the inside of tank but after your feedback I will definitely be doing it.

Thanks
Carmine
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

unclebill wrote:
As GS Guy stated, .030 is easily thick enough to cut and re-weld to move your filler neck. Any time you replace a tank, you should always coat the inside with a good quality gas tank sealer prior to use. KBS makes a nice sealer, Kreem, POR 15 and others. I've used KBS on dune buggies, Harley builds, and antique boat tanks with great success. Cut and weld, then seal the deal...just some advice from Unclebill's experience

Hey Unclebill,
How do you like working with the KBS tank coating? Have you used it on new tanks? Any special tricks to ensure longevity? How's the long term durability? I'm thinking of using a coating on my customized VW tank, kinda waffling between Red-Kote and KBS, or just not use a coating. I've got baffling inside my tank, plus a perimeter seam weld to seal up, maybe I should double up on the amount of sealer (since you only get one shot to completely coat the tank insides)?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original filler capped, awaiting fitting the new filler tube:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: New gas tank help Reply with quote

I used the KBS coating on my 1934 Chris Craft split cockpit tank, and my personal Harley, as well as a few things I've done for other people. The big thing with any of these coatings is to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! Never try to hurry the process, and plan on most of a day. After you use the wash solution, the tank must be perfectly dry or you are screwed. I usually stick a heat gun in the filler, leave it on low, and get the tank so hot it's hard to touch to initially dry...then leave it overnight (without the heat gun!) and seal the following morning. Don't even think about putting gas in it for 3-4 days. I've also had good luck with the POR 15 tank sealer, I used that on the Scorpion GT I'm building now but the directions are a bit different than the KBS. In any case, clean well, dry well, and read the instructions.

B
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: