Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace front shocks/dampers on syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Replace front shocks/dampers on syncro Reply with quote

I recently replaced the front shocks on my syncro. I ran into a couple of problems and also came up with a solution I've not seen before so I'll go into detail to hopefully help others. Rather than go through all the steps you should read the Bentley (40.20-40.22), look at the drawing on 40.16 and watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ERKnjiv0nY

The syncro front shocks are a bit different from the 2wd. The factory Boge syncro shocks have the bottom spring perch welded to the shock itself. In addition my '89 has forged lower control arm rather than the hollow one shown in the Bentley (40.16). So I'm not absolutely sure that the trick I used on the install will work with that style arm.

A shock primer: The factory Boge shocks and many replacements are oil shocks. The Bilsteins I installed are gas shocks. When it come to removal and replace there is an important difference in these two types of shocks. When you collapse an oil type it stays that way. When you collapse a gas filled shock, it immediately extends itself back to its full length. This characteristic gives each type an advantage and a disadvantage in the r&r.
The Bentley and other descriptions I've seen usually show the oil type.

A note on spring compressors. I had a problem with the one I first tried, the typical Auto Zone freebie comprised of 2 pieces. I was not the only one who couldn't make it work as seen by this blog post.

https://shufti.wordpress.com/category/syncro-specific-repairs/page/2/

Scroll down to the January 6, 2013 entry to see how these things don't work because the screws are too long and interfere with the body.

So after wasting hours I spent the big bucks and got this spring compressor: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/schwabe...fgod-YkFqg

It's the same one used in the youtube video & it works like a charm.

The reinstall is where you see the big difference on the shock types. For the oil type the challenge is to get the thing to extend so that you can thread it through the upper plate. Evidently, VW has a fancy tool to do this & I've seen posts from others on ingenious ways to pull up the shock rod.

On the gas type you face a whole 'nother problem. There is no need for VW tool 3017A. There is, however, a great need for Arnold Schwarzenegger to swing by and lend a beefy hand. The standard directions for the install tell you to attach the shock at the bottom bolt, slide on the compressed spring & then swing the whole thing into place while collapsing the fully extended rod (remember gas shocks stand at attention) and get it to pop through the hole in the upper mount.

As mentioned in the beginning, the youtube video is very good until you get to the part: "The next step is you compress the shock". Hah! I needed to place it upside down and pretty much do a handstand applying all 180 lbs of me to get this baby to collapse. There is no way I could lever it closed with a screwdriver and then keep it short enough to swing it into place like he does in the video.

So here's what I did. While the factory Boge has a welded spring perch right on the shock body, the Bilstein uses a loose collar/perch which slips onto the shock. Now maybe they designed it this way because doing the reinstall like I did would be impossible if the spring perch was welded to the shock body. You place the compressed spring roughly in place, jamming the upper edge into the upper holder. Slip the loose bottom spring perch under it. Make sure you have it right side up and oriented the proper way, see the Bentley. Now thread the extended shock, with the dust sleeve/bump stop in place, from the ground through the hole in the lower control arm, the loose lower spring collar & the spring. Position it to get the threaded rod through the hole in the upper receiver, this takes some futzing, but it will happen. Put a floor or bottle jack under the shock and get it lifted so that you can start the lower bolt. Then put the nut, along with a new bushing & rubber spacer on the top and tighten it down. Remove your spring compressor, torque everything to specs and enjoy your ride.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: