Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
-old busses

Thats a gemstone......and for once someone spelled busses right.

Embarassed There's an (e) in busses?? damn spell check- gonna have to edit that sucker.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:
-old busses

Embarassed There's an (e) in busses?? damn spell check- gonna have to edit that sucker.

Smile

plural - buses, also busses
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Engine R&I
w/o AC 1.3
w/AC 2

Engine Ovehaul
w/o AC 12.5
w/AC 13.6

Go down to F417, Engine section
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2guide/type2guide.pdf

GD
Tcash

With a fully stocked parts department that only had real top notch German parts as well as every tool I needed on hand I might be able to pull that off if nothing was dirty or stuck.
Flat rate book wrote:
The times listed are based on new, undamaged O.E.M. parts installed on new undamaged vehicles as an individual operation, Add for alignment pulls and refinishing as required.

I can't quote a fixed price for any work like that, it'll take what it takes to do it right and will likely approach $10K, if you aren't up for that here's some other shops who may want to quote on the job...............

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
williamM wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:
-old busses

Smile

plural - buses, also busses

Buses is Gary's family....or how 15 year old boys go blind
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

That's a really hard question to answer. I ended up rebuilding my engine twice, the second time after somehow losing hardware down the intake runner and beating up the piston top. I ended up taking it all apart again and I'm glad I did. I found some issues with the heads unrelated to the dropped hardware. I had learned a lot rebuilding the first time and ended up going with HAM heads and new P & C's. I also double checked my machininists work which took a long time to learn and do accurately. There were so many incidentals other than learning from my mistakes along the way that make the time spent hard to estimate; sandblasting and welding all the tin, so much cleaning, replacing un-named broken widgets. Sourcing quality parts and finding a good machinist are huge what-if's and maybe a third of the whole battle. The last thing for me was fabbing a good linkage for my single Weber so that the throttle plate opened and closed reliably. I'm happy with it. I know exactly what's in it and I also feel much more confident and self sufficient in driving it. I think I would know when problems were developing and repair it accordingly. It wasn't about saving money for me.

To maybe better answer your question, I don't think I would ever build one for money and not for a stranger. Would build one for a friend, family member or help a neighbor. Even for an experienced mechanic with all the quality parts on hand, I would think that there would always be so much rusty, crusty, broken, missing and someone else's duct tape and bailing wire to untangle to accurately quote a time span on the whole mess.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
That's a really hard question to answer. I ended up rebuilding my engine twice, the second time after somehow losing hardware down the intake runner and beating up the piston top. I ended up taking it all apart again and I'm glad I did. I found some issues with the heads unrelated to the dropped hardware. I had learned a lot rebuilding the first time and ended up going with HAM heads and new P & C's. I also double checked my machininists work which took a long time to learn and do accurately. There were so many incidentals other than learning from my mistakes along the way that make the time spent hard to estimate; sandblasting and welding all the tin, so much cleaning, replacing un-named broken widgets. Sourcing quality parts and finding a good machinist are huge what-if's and maybe a third of the whole battle. The last thing for me was fabbing a good linkage for my single Weber so that the throttle plate opened and closed reliably. I'm happy with it. I know exactly what's in it and I also feel much more confident and self sufficient in driving it. I think I would know when problems were developing and repair it accordingly. It wasn't about saving money for me.

To maybe better answer your question, I don't think I would ever build one for money and not for a stranger. Would build one for a friend, family member or help a neighbor. Even for an experienced mechanic with all the quality parts on hand, I would think that there would always be so much rusty, crusty, broken, missing and someone else's duct tape and bailing wire to untangle to accurately quote a time span on the whole mess.

Orwell84 -> so your don't want to but you twisted my arm and made it worth my while for a stranger price would be ??? Labor and parts chasing only - parts and machine work that you pay out on top of that amount. Can you visualize a price if someone came to you today and said build an engine for me and warranty it for a reasonable period.

TCash -> will you take an engine today if one of us hands it to you, completely go thru it, remanufacture it, making sure it is broken in either in the bus, or on an engine dyno for the flat rate price, plus parts and farmed out machine work? What do you see as your turn around?

Anyone else? - Keep in mind that the question is not about what someone else will do it for - it is what YOU will do it for. Right now, other than the TCash flat rate (which I am not sure he would commit to that although he might), the price seems to be about $5K labor and $5K parts / machine work estimate. That would be a reasonable warranty - maybe 90 days to 3000 mile service. I am surprised how consistent the feeling is towards what is involved in building a T4 engine for someone else right. It now makes me wonder how these engine "factories" are able to provide T4 engines for $4000 +/- and expect them to run as well as the original factory motor. Maybe they have a stash of original parts that makes it easier for them. I can see where a guy with $100,000 invested in tooling could have special parts washers, jigs, tooling stations to do each task in a way that would save time but then one has to factor in the $100,000. Just spreading interest on that money as a business loan, and depreciation of the equipment would be about $1000 a month. That would add $500 to each engine if the shop did 24 engines a year. So one saves $1000 in labor per engine and pays $500 back - more like the shop does 18 engines a year so they save $1000 in labor and pay $750 in Interest and depreciation, wear. To me that is a push.
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Let me preface this by saying that I have never built an engine, and I am in awe of you guys that can. I hope to be on that level one day.

What if a stranger came to you with one of these "turnkey" engines from a factory in hand, and it had never seen any use other than the dyno, and the customer said, "Go through this, and get it where you would be comfortable putting it in your bus." I have seen thread after thread of these factory engines shitting the bed 3-5k miles in, but they could be a legit engine for many miles if someone took the extra few weeks to make sure that the little things are done that an assembly line probably won't do.

By your estimate of $5k labor and $5k parts, this $4k jumping off point could potentially reduce some of the labor/parts sourcing.

Would this be a workable option for a stranger/customer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

"Factory" where?, I doubt I'd do much to a real NOS German built engine aside from changing some seals and adding the few oiling and sealing mods that were implemented after production stopped.
A VW of Canada rebuild would get a little closer scrutiny but they did use good parts so likely it wouldn't need much.
A turn key unit from an aftermarket rebuilder may or may not require checking depending on where it was built and/or how long it had been sitting.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Quote:
It now makes me wonder how these engine "factories" are able to provide T4 engines for $4000 +/- and expect them to run as well as the original factory motor.

From what SGKent mentioned above.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Silverboot wrote:
Let me preface this by saying that I have never built an engine, and I am in awe of you guys that can. I hope to be on that level one day.

What if a stranger came to you with one of these "turnkey" engines from a factory in hand, and it had never seen any use other than the dyno, and the customer said, "Go through this, and get it where you would be comfortable putting it in your bus." I have seen thread after thread of these factory engines shitting the bed 3-5k miles in, but they could be a legit engine for many miles if someone took the extra few weeks to make sure that the little things are done that an assembly line probably won't do.

By your estimate of $5k labor and $5k parts, this $4k jumping off point could potentially reduce some of the labor/parts sourcing.

Would this be a workable option for a stranger/customer?

Depending on who you got the engine from it seems like most builders here would want the heads upgraded at the minimum. Other than that i imagine it would be more of a tear down and inspection than a rebuild. I would be worried about the builder reusing cams, etc.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Silverboot wrote:
What if a stranger came to you with one of these "turnkey" engines from a factory in hand, and it had never seen any use other than the dyno, and the customer said, "Go through this, and get it where you would be comfortable putting it in your bus."

Depends on the timeline!

If it was for my "forever bus," it would get a complete rebuild, sorry. The biggest damn reason to rebuild an engine is to sort and reset clearances. So without knowing the bearing and ring clearances, every engine needs a rebuild to me.

But I've also helped take an unknown engine off a dusty garage floor, slap it in a car, and waive goodbye as it drives up and back down the entire state of California without a problem…

I do not know any turnkey engine builder who provides a "build sheet" of bearing clearances, compression ratio calculation figures, measurements of oil pump tang indexing, and that kind of stuff. Without it, I don't trust it like I trust my own.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Ahhh... so you mean current mass builders like GEX? I'd rather start with a running core, likely less stuff to throw out.

If it was an install for a customer it would depend on budget, timeline and warranty expectations. If you expect me to deal with any future issues it may develop it'll be expensive, if you just want to get back on the road and drive far away to where I'll never see it again and you understand the chances then I might not dig that deep.

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

interesting stuff.....

I think the warranty can get ugly though....

let's say you build it to the 9's, but you can only get Chinese mains. lets say after 800 miles it starts to have a knock.

you tear it ALL back apart to find the babbit cleaned off the bearings. now what? if that's all that's available then you're screwed.

doing an aircooled is like pulling the pin out of the grenade and telling the customer "here....don't let go"

I retract my 5-7K statement. I will charge zero and not do it. never lost a dime by saying no, but have gotten married to a project by saying yes....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

If I couldn't get good mains the project would stall until some were found, anything's out there if you shake the tree hard enough and are willing to buck up when you find it, the customer would have been warned about possible wait times and costs.

But I completely agree about the no option, lately I've been going that route more often than others. I don't build engines for the bucks, it's all about the challenge for me to make each one better than the last, if I charged for every minute I really invest in some builds people would be saying "but Jake only charges $X" Shocked

Слава Україні!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

you also walk into a labyrinth of install issues, tin proper, thermostat,
CR setting, fuel octane, oil weight(s) ignition timing specs. 1 goes wrong?boom
If you are building for the compleat idiot, it would be best to put a
Subaru in there. Just tell them first, so they know there's Asian power in there.
Or not.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

Out of curiosity does JR warranty his turn key engines?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:

nope

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/index.php/warranty

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
kooper271 wrote:

nope

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't warranty an air cooled engine if I was a builder, either.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
kooper271 wrote:

nope

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't warranty an air cooled engine if I was a builder, either.

But he's also never had a customer with a failed engine. How many people can say they've built hundreds of engines with never a failure outside of their R&D facility?

Right, just the crickets you're hearing! Laughing

Skills, you're right on the money again. Here's a cam bearing out of a very well-maintained T1 that ran like a showing machine until a routine oil-change yielded some particles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I can hear the phone call now. "Yeah, uhh, you had a cam bearing disintegrate with absolutely no damage to the camshaft or case. Turns out, there's no reason for the failure at all. That'll be $5000." Rolling Eyes

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 guys only if you have built a T4 engine yourself Reply with quote

I am starting to rebuild the 1700 in my 1973 bus. This is my first Type 4 build. And, like anything else like this the time and money outcome is chiefly determined not so much by experience as it is by being 'tooled up' and having what you need.

Said another way, if you have confirmed you have the aptitude, and are willing and able to follow directions, procedures and advice, then the biggest stumbling blocks would be production issues:

Will this be done on the patio with cheap tools and the dog getting in the way, or do you actually have a well-lit, undisturbed shop-style area with filtered, compressed air, all tools within easy reach and the ability to process the different paths apart from each other. Like, having a clean place to rebuild the FI or carburetor systems while you wait for the parts to come in with the case on the engine stand?

***Do you have a rapid and good way to sandblast the tin, or are you saddled with dicking around with a wire cup brush on a the end of a grinder? And when you paint that tin, will you rattle can it, or use a epoxy primer and decent single stage color coat with hardener... can you hear the labor difference?

***Can you dip the case or have it professionally cleaned quickly, or are you going to be screwing around with toothbrushes, etc.

***When you get ready to tap in those threaded plugs for the oil galleries, do you have a nice jig on a milling machine or good drill press for your case halves, or will you be trying to hand drill all those with the case strapped to a work bench?

To me, these are the differences in the cost outcome. How much is your time worth?

Arrow Also, I asked a similar build cost question this July, but from the consumer end:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658787&highlight=

Last edited by Wasted youth on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: