Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

62 Baja AZ car
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Just picked up a 62 2 weeks ago with a lot of work done to it. I took it on a drive for about an hour on freeway sat and motor began to making a ticking noise? Also did it sun. I'm thinking it might be overheating. My vw thing never had this problem but it was stock. This baja has a mix match set up. I'm going to go through the timing and double check the fuel mixture, etc. all the tins are there and it does have a remote oil filter and cooler. I've never used these before. anyone else living in 110 heat have input on set ups? Thanks [img]

[/img]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

First off you want to get the heater vents on the shroud closed off.
After that find out if it really is overheating, no use trying to fix a problem that might not be there.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Ok. I've never ran a baja before I was just guessing it may be over heating. Seemed sluggish after a while and started ticking almost like a knocking. I'll close off the heater vents. Thanks. I was gonna add a temp guage as well just to help verify.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

I have a 1969 Baja with a 1600 engine and the stock oil cooler inside the shroud. I'm upgrading it to a doghouse oil cooler, like dustymojave's pictured here ...

I'm not sure what kind of engine/cooler setup you have, but the cooler mounted below the rear window isn't doing very much. When the car is at a standstill there's absolutely no air going over it.

Is that a 1600 you have ?

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

From the looks of it, the external oil filter and cooler are being fed from the stock cooler mount location(Meaning the stock cooler has been removed). IMO it would be much more advantageous to have the stock cooler with forced air from the fan going through it. If you need more oil cooling beyond that, then add the external cooler via full flow.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

What's nice about the doghouse oil cooler setup is that hot air picked up from the oil cooler isn't blown over the cylinders on that side.

Still, the stock early model cooler is better than just having the external cooler alone mounted under the rear window.

And, as Brian71 said ...
Brian71 wrote:
If you need more oil cooling beyond that, then add the external cooler via full flow.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
I have a 1969 Baja with a 1600 engine and the stock oil cooler inside the shroud. I'm upgrading it to a doghouse oil cooler, like dustymojave's pictured here ...

I'm not sure what kind of engine/cooler setup you have, but the cooler mounted below the rear window isn't doing very much. When the car is at a standstill there's absolutely no air going over it.

Is that a 1600 you have ?

With that doghouse, I also run an external oil cooler under the rear window.

The oil system is full-flow. Out of the oil pump cover, and back in to the end of the pulley end of the case near the oil pressure relief valve. This provides normal operation of the relief valve and flow through the doghouse cooler only when the engine is warmed up.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

The biggest overheating issue I see in your setup:

is the open heater outlets on the fan shroud.

They NEED to be plugged with a pair of freeze plugs. Measure the ID of the outlets (I forget offhand what it is - around 2") and get the right size freeze plugs from the FLAPS. Get the deep cup type. Put a pair of self-drilling / self-tapping Tek screws (hex-head #6 or #8 size x 1/2") through the shroud metal and into the rim of the freeze plug. You can install the plugs cup-in or cup-out.

That will substantially increase the amount of air flowing over your cylinders instead of wasted out the outlets.

This is like a $5 fix.

Note people...
An oil cooler upright or doghouse on the top of the case, or an external cooler fed from the stock oil cooler ports on the top of the case only flows about 1/3 of the total engine oil flow. That's why a system plumbed out of the pump and back into the end of the oil galley is called "full flow".

A full flow system with the same oil cooler will cool way better than if fed from the top of the case. And while a doghouse gets air all the time the engine is running, it gets no oil flow when the engine is not warmed up (you don't need the cooling then anyway) and again...only gets 1/3 of the total oil flow when the engine is warmed up.

That's why I like a doghouse and an external cooler. I too live in the desert, but it's not as hot here as it is in the Phoenix area or along the Colorado river.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Found out it is the dog house I need but it was changed at one point to the remote oil cooler.

I also found the vent I would need but not sure if I'm missing another one as well or if this is ok. I thnk there was one thst went between the motor and tranny. Is it necessary?

Pic of the bottom. Not sure if there was something hooked up there at one time.

Capped off the heater vents. Thanks for that tip.

Cylinder 3 was seriously covered in old gunk you only find on a 60's car. Looks like I'll have to pull it apart to clean. Needs a screwdriver and a hammer to get it off. Pretty bad but just on that cylinder only. Wondering if the cooling set up has anything to do with it.

Also not sure what motor it is. No stamping under generator stand. I timed it to about 10 degrees btdc. It was definitely advanced and probsbly contributing to the overheating as well.

Thank you everyone for the input. I did find a oil cooler and adapter on craigslist I might grab but I will have to figure out what pieces and Seals Ill need. I found a post on here I can use for reference. And from what I have been hearing I agree, the Germans knew what they were doing and I should not deter from stock. They spent alot more time and money than I ever could trying to make the cooling system efficient. I will look into a full flow system when I get around to doing a rebuild. Thanks again for all your patience as I learn. I'll post more as I go.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Quote:
I did find a oil cooler and adapter on craigslist I might grab

... and introduce metal particles from the engine it was in into yours. not worth the "savings" if you end up paying for shavings

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

All of the air that would normally be forced through the oil cooler and provide some amount of backpressure in the shroud is now free to dump out into the atmosphere. Those remote setups off the oil cooler location are usually run with non-doghouse style shrouds....

I'm better there are no flaps installed inside that shroud either. I would pull it, clean all the gunk and crap off the cylinders and case, and install a doghouse cooler into that shroud (w/flaps wired full open), and dump that remote setup. It's not doing much for you anyway.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
Quote:

... and introduce metal particles from the engine it was in into yours. not worth the "savings" if you end up paying for shavings

You definitely want to stay away from used oil coolers.

Here's a link that touches on the subject Mal evolent mentioned ...

http://vw-resource.com/oil_cooler.html

And don't forget the "Hoover bit"

Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Mal evolent wrote:
Quote:

You definitely want to stay away from used oil coolers.

Here's a link that touches on the subject Mal evolent mentioned ...

http://vw-resource.com/oil_cooler.html

And don't forget the "Hoover bit"

Nice link dark earth. I'm now rethinking the reuse of my tranny oil coolers as well. Makes sense for small particles to get lodged in there.even just a few could cause issues.. I did not know about the Hoover bit and will grab one as
well.
Would you be able to help me locate the engine number on this block? Nothing under the generator stand. Any suggestions? The stamp on the side said Brazil.
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Also curious what these plugs are for? I do have another oil cooler and remote filter set up thst came with the car. I saw how some motors are drilled for full flow set up. Could this be the use for these plugs? Or at least the plug on top? Tnx
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Skorzeny's G Ride wrote:

Would you be able to help me locate the engine number on this block? Nothing under the generator stand. Any suggestions? The stamp on the side said Brazil.

Skorzeny's G Ride wrote:

Also curious what these plugs are for? I do have another oil cooler and remote filter set up thst came with the car. I saw how some motors are drilled for full flow set up. Could this be the use for these plugs? Or at least the plug on top? Tnx

Sorry, I don't know. Somebody here on TheSamba will be able to answer your questions, though.

Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
All of the air that would normally be forced through the oil cooler and provide some amount of backpressure in the shroud is now free to dump out into the atmosphere. Those remote setups off the oil cooler location are usually run with non-doghouse style shrouds....

I'm better there are no flaps installed inside that shroud either. I would pull it, clean all the gunk and crap off the cylinders and case, and install a doghouse cooler into that shroud (w/flaps wired full open), and dump that remote setup. It's not doing much for you anyway.

Got it. As for flaps I'll look into that this weekend and pull the shroud. Tnx bashr
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

I was basing my assumptions off of this photo I found for a full flow set up. Above. Hoping someone could tell me if stock engines have a plug like the one shown on my motor below or if this was done later on.

Regarding my motor and plug please see below. Tnx

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

You're welcome for that tip.

Your case may be a replacement case. VW calls them "Universal" cases. It has no serial number under the stand because it's a replacement. But Type 3 cases had the number on the top of the case seam IIRC. It would be under the center of the intake manifold. But if it's a Universal, it will have a 2-bolt blockoff plate on the rear face of the oil sump to the right of the oil pump. A Type 3 case would need to have a similar plate with a tube for a dipstick. IT won't have a dipstick tube where other Bug engines have one. If it's a Universal, it will have a pressed-in dipstick tube where any other Bug engine has one.

That upper plug with the square head next to the pulley is the oil return hole for full flow. The factory presses a plug into that hole. So your case is already prepped for full flow. Replacing the oil pump with one that has a blocked outlet and a cover with oil outlet as shown in that picture of the full flow system parts above will provide a full flow oil system. Note that the square head plug is in the same location as the short hose and fittings in the pic. The hose in the pic is there for illustration and would not normally be so short. The odd 5-sided piece next to the oil filter in that full flow pic is a blockoff for the stock oil cooler location. It takes the oil coming out of the top of the case and turns it around back into the adjacent return hole in the top of the case. It's used if you do NOT use the doghouse or early style steel oil cooler.

The lower huge screwdriver plug in the bottom is the oil pressure relief valve. That's a necessary part of the oil system. A universal case will have another one of those near the flywheel end of the case on the left side. That's called the "Oil Control Valve". Also necessary on cases that are made for them.

When you put a doghouse cooler in place, fill the hole cut out for the remote cooler/filter adapter with a piece of sheet metal. A scrap from a beer can will work.

As Bashr said, not having a doghouse cooler in that doghouse shroud means that a bunch of cooling air is blowing out un-used. That piece of tin you found is the outlet from the doghouse cooler. It diverts the air coming out of the cooler down on top of the cylinder tin. Not really needed in a Baja that is cut open around the engine. In a full body Bug, that piece connects to a duct piece that takes the hot air out of the engine compartment through the front engine compartment plate near the CV axle. Just as shown in the diagram posted by DarkEarth.
SoCalBajas Member
Skorzeny's G Ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
You're welcome for that tip.

Your case may be a replacement case. VW calls them "Universal" cases. It has no serial number under the stand because it's a replacement. But Type 3 cases had the number on the top of the case seam IIRC. It would be under the center of the intake manifold. But if it's a Universal, it will have a 2-bolt blockoff plate on the rear face of the oil sump to the right of the oil pump. A Type 3 case would need to have a similar plate with a tube for a dipstick. IT won't have a dipstick tube where other Bug engines have one. If it's a Universal, it will have a pressed-in dipstick tube where any other Bug engine has one.

That upper plug with the square head next to the pulley is the oil return hole for full flow. The factory presses a plug into that hole. So your case is already prepped for full flow. Replacing the oil pump with one that has a blocked outlet and a cover with oil outlet as shown in that picture of the full flow system parts above will provide a full flow oil system. Note that the square head plug is in the same location as the short hose and fittings in the pic. The hose in the pic is there for illustration and would not normally be so short. The odd 5-sided piece next to the oil filter in that full flow pic is a blockoff for the stock oil cooler location. It takes the oil coming out of the top of the case and turns it around back into the adjacent return hole in the top of the case. It's used if you do NOT use the doghouse or early style steel oil cooler.

The lower huge screwdriver plug in the bottom is the oil pressure relief valve. That's a necessary part of the oil system. A universal case will have another one of those near the flywheel end of the case on the left side. That's called the "Oil Control Valve". Also necessary on cases that are made for them.

When you put a doghouse cooler in place, fill the hole cut out for the remote cooler/filter adapter with a piece of sheet metal. A scrap from a beer can will work.

As Bashr said, not having a doghouse cooler in that doghouse shroud means that a bunch of cooling air is blowing out un-used. That piece of tin you found is the outlet from the doghouse cooler. It diverts the air coming out of the cooler down on top of the cylinder tin. Not really needed in a Baja that is cut open around the engine. In a full body Bug, that piece connects to a duct piece that takes the hot air out of the engine compartment through the front engine compartment plate near the CV axle. Just as shown in the diagram posted by DarkEarth.

I'm guessing it a universal case. I wasn't able to find any numbers on the block. There is a "oil control valve" near the flywheel. I did time it at 10 btdc but it's drfinitely wrong. Once it was under load it would not run properly. I'll have to figure out what year this is based off of and go from there. Thanks for thst info it helps. I do have the parts for the full flow. There was another cooler and remote filter and was wondering what it was for. I'm also curious what to gap the plugs. How to keep your bug alive says use 0.25. Can anyone confirm? I was gonna go 0.26 on the Bosch plugs I picked up.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 62 Baja AZ car Reply with quote

Maybe it's one of these ...

http://vwcatalog.empius.com/vwcatalog/2016/1.html

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: