Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No spark. Coil good. ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Not getting spark at plugs. New coil. Coil wire at distributor has spark. Points are opening and closing. Cap looks ok.

Next step replacing cap? Was working fine.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Have you rotated the distributor recently ? I'd move the crank pulley to TDC and see where the rotor is pointing.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Have you rotated the distributor recently ? I'd move the crank pulley to TDC and see where the rotor is pointing.

Wouldn't I still get spark even if distributor rotated? I did not touch anything before I lost spark. Thought it might be a week coil but replacement did not fix no spark at plugs.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
Coil wire at distributor has spark.

CHenige wrote:
Wouldn't I still get spark even if distributor rotated? I did not touch anything before I lost spark. Thought it might be a week coil but replacement did not fix no spark at plugs.

If your distributor has been accidently turned, it will spark at a time when the rotor is not pointing to one of the posts on the inside of the distributor. To eliminate this as a possibility, turn the crank pulley until you are at TDC and see if the rotor lines up with a spark plug tower on the distributor cap.

CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Yep, lines up. Distributor is tight and never moved.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

So your rotor lines up with this mark when your crankshaft pulley is at TDC ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And your distributor cap still has the center contact ?

It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

maybe the condenser ?

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

First , thanks for the advice, 2nd, I will not see the car until Thursday. 3rd, if it matters this is supposed to be a 009 distributor.

My motor has the degrees pulley indicator on the crankshaft. It has two 0* marks. I turned one of them straight up and the rotor was at 45* from the front of the vehicle over the #2 plug wire. When I go back to the car I will do a better job of determining TDC and check.

My distributor has a black center contact that I can pull on and see the spring connected to it.

Where do I get a condenser for a 009 distributor? Autozone was clueless.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

most likely a vw shop .maybe someone will have a part number to help you out, but I think thats your problem.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Bosch #02-086 but no one carries it here. I will keep looking
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
Coil wire at distributor has spark.

Are you saying you have a high voltage spark through the red coil wire in the picture ?

CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Yes, I can pull the center wire out of the distributor and get close to the engine and there is a spark.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

CHenige wrote:
Yes, I can pull the center wire out of the distributor and get close to the engine and there is a spark.

If you're getting spark to that point, It has to be the cap, rotor or plug wire causing the problem.

You want to have a nice strong bluish spark. Anything weak or golden brown is not good. IF the spark is weak ... I'd replace the points and condenser.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Ohm out the Rotor, happens all the time. Just had someone call me this weekend and I had them ohm it out. Failed. Replaced it started right up. When it happens the resister fails that is epoxied in.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

What reading should it be? I did test it for continuity and noticed it did have some kind of resistance in it.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Here's what I got when I measured mine today. The car hasn't run since I brought it home last November (I'm currently in 'build' mode with my baja). It ran good and made it home under its own power. The ignition was working properly.

Last edited by Dark Earth on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
CHenige
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

I am going up Thursday to the car so I am visiting a air cooled arts place and pick up condense, rotor, points and cap. Hopefully I can figure out the bad part.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these as a spare ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-009-CENTRIFUGAL...mp;vxp=mtr

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

Sorry late reply got back late. Normally a rotor that is bad will ohm out open or very little k ohm. If you can find a Black rotor those don't have resistors in them but it can cause noise on your radio. I run black spark plug ends and black rotors along with copper core wire but I can't hear radios anyway anymore. some cheap foreign rotors are solid rotors also.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No spark. Coil good. ? Reply with quote

In a pinch - I installed an Autozone condenser on my 009....it just didn't have the square block on the wire that goes in the square hole, so I put some silicon on it to block the hole. It ran fine....
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: