Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Channel Replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Hi! So I'll be replacing my floors soon and then it's onto the heater channels. My channels don't have the slide channel for the slider door. I can get the spring from WW, but they don't have the channel. Where can I get one, or should I even replace it?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

No one?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

https://www.klassicfab.com/klassicfab/en/12-type-1-beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
https://www.klassicfab.com/klassicfab/en/12-type-1-beetle

Not cheap but as close to NOS VW as you can get.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Already bought the channels just looking for the slider rail.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Already bought the channels just looking for the slider rail.

Make one from 18ga. cold rolled sheet metal. The pics below are from my rusty 67. But should get you in the ball park for size required.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The slider rail is gonna be hidden by the carpet. So this would be a good fabrication opportunity.
If you need better pics and measurements let me know I can get better ones for ya if needed.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

So I'm looking at about 6.5" long by 3/4" wide. Then I bend it in the middle.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
So I'm looking at about 6.5" long by 3/4" wide. Then I bend it in the middle.

Pretty much that's the idea. If I were making that slide rail. I'd make the double bend first then cut/trim it to size. There is a slight bend/curve in it to follow the heater channel.
Make a practice piece. Sometimes the metal can be a little too thick to break easily. If so get 20ga metal and try again.
If you haven't read the thread started by Thekera. I suggest that you do. He is a garage metal shaping genius. In one of his posts he explains how to bend an already folded piece using a shrinking /stretching method using a hammer and an anvil. I tried it and it does work. It just takes time and patience.
Below are better overall length and shape images that I just took for ya.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Alright I see it now it bends in the center to follow the channel then it's bent it the center upwards and bend it down so it follows the side profile of the channel. Then I weld it to the channel. I'll make these test pieces tommorow if I can't find them on my car. One channel is still in the car, with one of them I think and the other channel was out somewhere when I cut it out... I may have thrown it out Shocked.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Alright I see it now it bends in the center to follow the channel then it's bent it the center upwards and bend it down so it follows the side profile of the channel. Then I weld it to the channel. I'll make these test pieces tommorow if I can't find them on my car. One channel is still in the car, with one of them I think and the other channel was out somewhere when I cut it out... I may have thrown it out Shocked.

I have made this mistake a few times. Never throw anything out. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Plus you may need that thrown away part for a good measurement in the future. I have a half full garaged attic full of parts from "Rusty". Fenders, tail light, seats, windows, ect.....
Good Luck.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Related issue:

On the driver side, what's the best way to make the holes to run the wire harness thru? Should I just drill a round hold on the top of the heater channel just in front of the door post, and another below it on the side, and run the harness thru .....or should I weld a metal tube between the holes to run the harness thru? Not sure how it was done at the factory? This pic from another forum also shows a good shot of the heater outlet rails.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

It appears that VW passed the wiring harness through the heater channel in the heat stream. I'm not gonna second guess the logic of this. But the wiring harness does in fact pass through the heater channel without a tube to protect the wiring from the engine heat passing toward the defrost vents or the floor heat vent to the heater channel to protest the wiring. As a suggestion, Maybe it's not a good idea to weld a tube in. It just seems to me that the metal tube would cause the wiring harness to over heat and melt the harness.
Good Luck.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

If needed, I can pull up the carpet on my 2 owner 67 DD and have another look at what's going on with this penetration through the heater channel. But I'd rather not!
Good Luck.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

There is an inner heat duct inside the heater channel so they wiring is not in the heat stream.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
If needed, I can pull up the carpet on my 2 owner 67 DD and have another look at what's going on with this penetration through the heater channel. But I'd rather not!
Good Luck.

No no you don't have to do that I'll go and check mine to see if it still has the slider on it, if it does I'll look as my car is off of its pan and has no carpet left in it. Thanks very much for the dimensions of the piece!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Just tried making one... I failed. I can't get the double bend on top for the fold. Guess I'll just have to find a donor one or maybe klassicfab will sell me that piece.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Just tried making one... I failed. I can't get the double bend on top for the fold. Guess I'll just have to find a donor one or maybe klassicfab will sell me that piece.

If you can't do it yourself. Find an HVAC shop in your area. They have sheet metal breaks that can do the double bend in seconds. Then you can take the piece home and trim it to fit you car. I too failed the first time that I tried to make a double bend piece for an outside rear quarter panel on my Rusty 67. Don't get discouraged, it takes practice.
BTW nice installation on your rear pan support from your other thread. Looks good.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

I didn't think about a HVAC shop. There's one in town I may go see them soon. Thanks abuout the rear pan support. It actually took 2 trys Very Happy. The first time it looked straight then I took a measurement and it was off by less than half and inch so I had to grind off the weld and redo it but it's right now. I'm thinking if I should bother with the other one as it seems solid. Next up is the napoleons hat, then either replacing or patching the front apron/clip area.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

"There is an inner heat duct inside the heater channel so the wiring is not in the heat stream."

...looking at the first 2 pics, it does indeed look like there's some sort of guide tube there ...you can see it where the wiring enters at the top, and again where it exits at the bottom. All three of my VWs are badly rusted in that area, and I can't tell what was originally going on there. I can see the point that a tube would tend to get hot and stay hot longer than if the hot air was just passing by the harness. Perhaps an indent with a cover plate on the outside of the heater channel would be the way to go?

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread .....thanks for the input.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

New question, I'm currently(like right now) bolting the channels to the pans so they are in the right spot for welding. 2 of the bolts aren't going in because of the holes in the aftermarket floors. Can I just ground the holes a little bigger so the channels go on?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: