Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Channel Replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Yes as long as the body clips cover the elongated hole, you should be ok. That's part of the fun of fitting aftermarket floor pans to aftermarket heater channels.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Alright sounds good!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Did you find a new metal gluing machine yet?
When I was searching for mine I spent alot of time looking on CL and pawn shops. I finally located one on CL (a Clarke E-140) and snapped it up within 1 hour of it being posted. Got the machine and a weld cart for $100. Now in hind site. If I was smarter I would have kept looking for a complete setup. Meaning machine, bottle,(even if it was empty) cart and all of the other ancillaries. After I made my purchase. I spent another $3-400 getting it all setup the way I liked.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Nope I haven't gotten a new one, still the bad 'ol HF flux core Very Happy . I scan Craigslist daily though. I got quoted $137 for a 40cf tank filled from air gas.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Should I get both channels cut off the body and the new ones boltet to the pans before putting the body back on?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Should I get both channels cut off the body and the new ones boltet to the pans before putting the body back on?

That's a really good question that I have no answer for. What did the Chris Vallone vid say?
If it were me for the first time. I think I would do one side at a time. That way you have a good point of reference on at least on one side. I have never done it yet. But have read many threads on the subject. When you do one you can see what needs trimming on the other. Assuming that they are equally shitty from one to the other.
Make sure to make a photo journal of your progress for those of us that have never done a heater channel replacement.
$137 for a 40cf? Shocked Damn! Every time I turn in an empty, I go up in size. and that gets a little spendy, but they do last much longer Cool

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

I haven't watched chris' video in a while. That tank was filled, but I'm going to assume by your reaction that it was too expensive? Harbor freight wants $100 for an empty 20cf.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Just watched Chris' video. He did both at the same time. I love his welders quality of not grinding down to metal before welding in this video Rolling Eyes

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

He's also stick welding sheet metal and stick welding isn't quite as picky about clean metal as MIG or TIG even though you SHOULD make the metal clean and bare.

As far as stick welding, that's not to say that wasn't the norm back in the day before MIG welders were affordable to hobbyists. Plenty of show winning cars were stick welded or brazed it's just crazy to see some guys still doing it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Channel Replacement Reply with quote

Oh, i didn't know you didn't need to be less picky when stuck welding.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: