Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Okay so I've been MIA for almost a decade so bare with me. Been in the market for a ragtop or vert and can't get over the pricetags.. Seems in the VW community prices are WAY inflated, now some of the rare early stuff with frame off restoration and every hose, nut and bolt polished/painted I get..(without sentimental value)

I've had many VW's In my life and have always prospered from the sale, as many of them I did work to, some just parts cars but regardless even when I thought my price was inflated I blush at what I see now...

I know there is a supply/demand over seas etc problem now but I'm talking about run of the mill type 1's here guys, you know the bug shaped thingy that plagued America and saturated the country with Millions...

Don't make me start throwing prices out there that I've sold my cats for Smile and I thought I was making out, sheesh...
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

it's not +/-10 years ago anymore.

i'm not ineterested what you sold your cats for.
63 vwnotch wrote:
Don't make me start throwing prices out there that I've sold my cats for

63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

lol... autocorrect ....

what do you mean time is irrelevant?? 10 yrs ago market bared 4K for Bay windows complete, rust free and in number 1 or 2 condition per the samba.. ragtops in same condition basically sub 4k as well, type 3's, splitty's, and Things wore a different price tag pending rarity but still you could find a rolling 21 window rag for 10K...

og notch, zero rust under 10k easily all day long and then some, now, add new paint and you are magically at 45k..

some people simply need to put the pipe down is what I'm thinking.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Some of the price tags are ridiculous I would agree but it's a fact of life that VWs are coming back in style apparently and prices have gone up. If you were picking up number 1 or 2 ragtops for under $4k ten years ago that's amazing. I remember decent rags selling in the 2500-3500+ range here in Orlando back in the late 80's. Sounds like a market correction?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Ad to what has been said that fact of how many have been crushed in the last ten years. For me they are a poor mans investment.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Ive noticed local prices are still better than samba prices. The only problem is they dont pop up as much as before.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

just talked to a guy that had a sweet pan off resto '63 rag, clean,clean and clean..... immaculate condition had it on CL for 14k only been on there for a few days and a guy left deposit and is suppose to pay him friday.... now that car I can see 14k because you literally don't have to do anything but keep it spotless...

I picked up a '61 rag with 1641, new rag cloth, straight body could use paint over 2nd respray, zero rust, no door panels, drove like a champ... 2,800 in Riverside in '05... so the deals are there ,it seems everything I ever bought was under 3K now that I think about it...

now they want twice that for cars in worse shape...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
10 yrs ago
<snip>
og notch, zero rust under 10k easily all day long and then some, now, add new paint and you are magically at 45k..

Under 10K would be a good deal now for a really nice original Notch.

I'd say 15K-20K now for a super nice one.
Lower teens for a clean one that needs some work.
Easy to find a project for less, there are tons for sale right now.

$45K... I guess you mean this?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1935306
This is a super nice custom car.
I don't know if it's worth $45K but it's definitely worth more than most of the cars out there.

Anyway, with a few exceptions, the cars that are reasonably priced sell pretty fast. All types.
You have to act fast or you might not even see them for sale.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

I blame it on the Internet and all the TV car auctions. Because people seeing 70's era V-8 muscle cars selling for $100,000 they think their VW ought to be worth $30,000. Today everybody in low populated and secluded parts of the country are posting their cars for sale on all the different Websites and lots and lots of people are looking so there is a much larger group of buyers to sell to. With the bad economy today the entire car hobby is weakening and nice cars are not bringing what they did 3-4 years ago.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Everett sorry didn't realize that was posted here, I found it on google while perusing the lubes... lol, foot in mouth... not sure if that's the one as I just glanced through it but I does have the right price tag..

I'd love to have another notch maybe something semi custom this time, maybe a rag as well...Wink
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

can't forget how many cars have been destroyed with the patina craze in the past 10 years....Every rust bucket created means 1 less good 1...supply and demand comes into play
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

man I miss this place...

on the first page in Bay window classifieds a guy from France is using my old savanna beige bus picture as a WTB ad.. I wrote him and wished him good luck and to make matters worse told him I sold that bus for $3800 and was completely rust free, just missing the middle seat....

seeing that picture really makes me miss that one....
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Simply put: The word's out.

And in those years another whole generation has come up digging these cars.

I don't blame the internet for pricing so much as for the availability of competition in the feeding pool.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Bays have really shot up in price in the past few years. They have literally doubled. Hopefully that market will correct some and go back down a little. There are still a lot of bays out there.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
can't forget how many cars have been destroyed with the patina craze in the past 10 years....Every rust bucket created means 1 less good 1...supply and demand comes into play

However, every patina car out there is one more that was saved from the crusher that may eventually be restored or used for parts at a later date. The patina cars are loved & enjoyed by those that can't afford or justify $5000+ paint jobs. Furthermore, these cars are being driven & not being relegated to model status therefore they are saving the nicer cars from the wear & tear of someone that wants to drive one.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Not all patina cars were saved from the crusher. I've seen plenty of folks take a sander to nice cars with nice paint. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
With the bad economy today the entire car hobby is weakening and nice cars are not bringing what they did 3-4 years ago.

You've been saying this for years yet the prices keep going up Wink

After working on VW's for years, here is my take in it. As they transitioned from DD to collectors cars, people who always wanted one bought one and get in over there heads as they try and restore it. They rip apart a perfectly good overpriced car and then buy every part new because the parts are out there. Then something happens and they have to bail out but they kept track of every dime spent and try and recoup it.Then comes along another "oh I've always wanted to learn how to work on one " to buy it and the cycle continues.
and yes part of the problem is TV auctions.
Most of the cars people list as a 10 are far from it Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

{[Most of the cars people list as a 10 are far from it }]
Agreed. One of my vehicles is a true blue patina. I would like to have it painted, however then I would be afraid to drive it. When going to the local cruise night I always get you should paint it and I then hold my hand out for donations.
Someone mentioned 5k for paint and this is correct.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

At least. I have a 64 which I feel is in very good condition other than one door and one fender that needs a little massaging and was quoted $5-15k. This is a rust free car, only the outside needs to be sprayed and I was even offering to strip the car and deliver it ready to be sanded, body work and sprayed.
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW 's and their Glorified Price tags!!! What's up with that?? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

At least. I have a 64 which I feel is in very good condition other than one door and one fender that needs a little massaging and was quoted $5-15k. This is a rust free car, only the outside needs to be sprayed and I was even offering to strip the car and deliver it ready to be sanded, body work and sprayed.

I think the closer to $15k on your quotes the less likely that those shops actually wanted to do the work. I am in the SF bay area where things are stupid expensive and I have two good friends going through basic paint and restoration type work right now at two different shops. Both guys are shooting for "driver quality" so not necessarily perfect and, one is getting paint and basic prep fro appx $4500 at a generic paint and body place, and the other is getting some rust repair, old bondo area's reworked and a few medium size dents along with disassembly and reassembly for right around $8500 from a reputable VW only restoration outfit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: