Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 beetle clutch cable replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Hello,
Looking for a video on the clutch cable replacement. Doesn't seem hard, but like to make sure. Any suggestion ?
Thank you
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Can't say I've done it myself recently but I know the procedure. On a rhd car you have to take off the pedal assembly, on lhd I believe it's simpler.
When mine was changed recently by a mechanic the conduit near the trans was seized. if recommend getting penetrating oil on all bolted connections and nuts prior to starting this and getting the right clutch cable as I think there's different versions out there. Make sure the cable is greased as it goes back in. Cable will need adjusting afterwards.
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

only one video out there. He's doing it right, but video quality is crap. Toughest part is reinstalling pedal assembly...
https://youtu.be/W9ws-mqY01Q?list=PLCPfs1lLPW7XWbJu0zYAZYvhoTkjvawbU
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Use rubber band, cable tie, or bread twist tie to hold cable eye onto clutch pedal hook during reassembly, old Samba trick.

Easier than using a brick or my left shoulder....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

I'm still in the middle of a clutch cable change, and if the pedal install is the toughest part, I'm in for a helluva time because fitting the new bowden tube is a certified PITA.

The forward end of the new one is not like the one I took off. The old one has a plastic cover the fits over the metal end forward of it on the frame, but the new one does not. It has a metal end that just buts up against the metal end of the forward piece. And the whole thing is stiff as hell.

I am tempted to just put the old one back in. The rubber sheathing has a small split in it, but other than that it is okay.

Now I have to look for a thread that tells how to pull the clutch arm back. I don't have the mechanical leverage to do it without some sort of tool.

Last edited by scottyrocks on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Now another problem: the new clutch cable won't go into either bowden tube. Rather, it goes in a few inches and then stops. What am I missing/doing wrong?
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Push the cable through the Bowden tube before installing through the side cover. If it's already installed on the car, the sag in the tube won't allow it to pass.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
Push the cable through the Bowden tube before installing through the side cover. If it's already installed on the car, the sag in the tube won't allow it to pass.

If it's already installed on the car, the sag in the tube SOMETIMES won't allow it to pass.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:

What is the 'side cover?' The cable goes into the tube in the tunnel by the pedals, out the back (middle of car), into the bowden tube, and through the clutch actuation arm. Did you mean put the cable into the bowden tube before pushing it into the tunnel where the pedals mount? I don't see how that would work. The bowden tube must be slid on after the cable comes out of the tunnel.

I had to remove the tube from its mounts when pushing the cable in from the passenger compartment because it was hitting the edge of the bowden tube instead of going in. As it turns out, the cable wouldn't have made it through the bend in the tube, regardless, if that is the problem.

cusser wrote:
If it's already installed on the car, the sag in the tube SOMETIMES won't allow it to pass.

The cable, especially the adjusting bolt on the end, is a tight fit, and the length and width of the adjusting bolt looks like if the bowden tube is bent at all, it won't pass through, even greased. Tomorrow I will try to restraighten both bowden tubes, and attempt cable insertion again.

Anyone have a tip on how to pull back, and hold, the clutch arm coming out of the transmission? I'm doing this by myself.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

I just found some info that said to grease up the inside of the bowden tube really well.

I'll open up a wire coat hanger, straighten it out, smooth out the end, grease it up, and push it through the bowden tube.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

I know I've done it myself but it was a LONG time ago. Remember it being a PITA. Sad You might have to learn a few new words to get the job done. Think Maybe you can find an old sailor to teach you some you don't know yet! Look for one with a lot of old tattoos on his arms! Dancing

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

On the later transmissions, the mount for the Bowden tube simply bolts onto the side of the transmission (two 8mm nuts, 13mm wrench).

On the earlier transmissions the mount is part of the transmission.

Grab the bowden tube with a Vise-Grip, rotate it and pull towards the front. Wear gloves and eye protection.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I know I've done it myself but it was a LONG time ago. Remember it being a PITA. Sad You might have to learn a few new words to get the job done. Think Maybe you can find an old sailor to teach you some you don't know yet! Look for one with a lot of old tattoos on his arms! Dancing

Yeah, yesterday, I think I used up all the ones I know.

Nah, actually, I'm pretty calm and patient. Unless my blood sugar drops too low. And then I literally don't know when to stop.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

I got the bowden tube in by tying some bailing wire to the middle of it, pulling it down, and tying the other end to the jackstand. I just don't have the physical strength to pull it into place without some kind of assistance.

Now, though, the cable won't pass through the back end of the bowden tube. I didn't want to pull it out, but I did, and now the cable comes through freely.

Not sure what to do now, except try to keep the very end of the cable sticking out a little bit. How to keep it there while I'm trying to shove the tube in, I don't know. I need every millimeter of clearance I can get.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

No new words, but lots of old ones used over and over. Smile

I left a little of the threaded end of the cable sticking out, pulled the tube down, and forced the end into the bracket. Then I got the bright idea of sticking the opened-just-enough-to-fit-around-the-tube end of a 12" adjustable wrench on the tube, a few inches from the back, and pushing up on the tube to straighten it enough to allow the plastic back of the tube to slide fully into the arm. Lots of grease helped.

While repeatedly installing and pulling out the tube, I kinked the cable a little, so I expect I'll be doing this whole job again earlier than should be. Sad

Btw, the new tube I got from JBugs broke and collapsed while I was trying to bend it to fit. It didn't have the correct front end, anyway. I used the old one.

Now to put the pedals back and adjust everything.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

OK...this shouldn't really be so difficult, so for the next time you have to do this, try this method:

First step is to liberally grease the cable as you feed it thru the tube in the tunnel. Then secure the cable (using some kind of tie, as suggested) to the hook on the pedal assembly. Next, re-attach the pedals to the side of the tunnel. It's helpful to have the clutch pedal stay in it's 'up' position before going any further, so use a bungee cord, block of wood, piece of wire, etc. to secure it that way.
You should now have a length of the clutch cable sticking out of the tube at the back of the pan. Apply a generous amount of additional grease to this section of cable, and then use a grease gun, or whatever means are available, to get a liberal amount of grease inside of the Bowden tube. Slip the Bowden tube over the cable and seat it on the end of the clutch cable tube. Now, start bending the Bowden tube down enough to let you pass the threaded end of the clutch cable thru the mount on the side of the transmission. Lastly, get your self into a position that'll allow you to get both hands on the Bowden tube. While pulling it down in the middle with your left hand, force the end into it's mounting point on the transmission with your right (a bit of grease on the end of the tube will help). Slip the clutch cable thru the actuating arm, wipe off any excess grease from the threads and attach the nut.

This probably seems pretty obvious, but before you even start, it's helpful to have the car jacked up as high as your jackstands will allow, and remove the left-rear wheel along with the left-side heater tube.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
OK...this shouldn't really be so difficult, so for the next time you have to do this, try this method:

First step is to liberally grease the cable as you feed it thru the tube in the tunnel. Then secure the cable (using some kind of tie, as suggested) to the hook on the pedal assembly. Next, re-attach the pedals to the side of the tunnel. It's helpful to have the clutch pedal stay in it's 'up' position before going any further, so use a bungee cord, block of wood, piece of wire, etc. to secure it that way.
You should now have a length of the clutch cable sticking out of the tube at the back of the pan. Apply a generous amount of additional grease to this section of cable, and then use a grease gun, or whatever means are available, to get a liberal amount of grease inside of the Bowden tube. Slip the Bowden tube over the cable and seat it on the end of the clutch cable tube. Now, start bending the Bowden tube down enough to let you pass the threaded end of the clutch cable thru the mount on the side of the transmission. Lastly, get your self into a position that'll allow you to get both hands on the Bowden tube. While pulling it down in the middle with your left hand, force the end into it's mounting point on the transmission with your right (a bit of grease on the end of the tube will help). Slip the clutch cable thru the actuating arm, wipe off any excess grease from the threads and attach the nut.

This probably seems pretty obvious, but before you even start, it's helpful to have the car jacked up as high as your jackstands will allow, and remove the left-rear wheel along with the left-side heater tube.

Thanks for that. Smile That was basically the methodology that worked, excepting that I left a stub of cable (threads) sticking out the back of the bowden tube. The front end of the cable (the eyelet) was in the drivers footwell. I also used a 12" adjustable wrench to push the back end of the bowden tube into its mount. Much easier.

So it's all done. The pedal assembly was a relative piece of cake, except for working blind to get the back of the gas pedal connected. But still, not difficult.

I adjusted the play in the pedal with the wing nut at the back end. With 1" of play, the threads do not protrude out of the back of the nut. I hope as the cable stretches a bit I can tighten it up so that I get some protrusion.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

The clutch cable will stretch some over time. Give it a couple of weeks and then readjust it.
God Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Just did this yesterday and what a pain in the ass. As has been pointed out, getting the cable to stay on the hook for the pedal assembly was difficult. Took several attempts to even get a zip tie to keep it on. In the end, I realized I was missing the rubber boot that goes on the end of the Bowden tube... ugh. I don't ever drive in the rain or water, so for now it will have to stay the way it is.

For me, part of the problem was getting the pedal assembly mounted. trying to keep the pedal assembly upright against the spring for brake pedal, while holding the assembly upright and starting the bolts wasn't the most fun. I eventually let the pedals fall back to lay on the floor with the spring pressed up under. It was easier to start the bolts this way. Once they caught on the threads in the tunnels, I then stood them upright and tightened them down.

To keep the cable and hook together I laced the zip tie behind the hook between the cable and hook and zipped it more or less diagonally around the front of the hook. I should have taken a picture as I tried several different ways that didn't work. One of which was right after I finished up getting the nut back on the cable.. Last time I followed the procedure above, then let the clutch pedal fall forward resting on the firewall. Once I barely got the bolts started, I went to the back, reached my arm up and pulled on the end of the cable while watching the clutch pedal. It pulled back and I knew I had it in the right position. I then tightened the bolts up. At this point I also had the cable already through the Bowden tube, and tube mount but not the final clutch arm on the transmission.

Also, cant stress enough to remove your carpet or cover it well as the padding around the pedal assembly got very grimy from grease and dirt. Also be prepared to make a short list of things that need to be replaced when you pull the assembly as mine was missing the brake pin lock as well as the spring that fits on the back of the gas pedal keeping it on. Someone apparently didn't think all the parts needed to be kept....
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 65 beetle clutch cable replacement Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Just did this yesterday and what a pain in the ass.

First time is the toughest.

About a decade ago the factory clutch cable snapped in my 1971 in a parking lot, Mrs. Cusser called me. I swapped in a new cable right there (had a spare and wingnut in its trunk, brought my tools).

I also saw that the clutch hook (original one) was quite worn so a week later I took the pedal assembly off and replaced that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm looking to R&R the pedals on my 1970 soon because its factory clutch hook is worn as well (260K).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: