Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat C25 - recommended springs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

I am having issues finding the correct springs. I am also getting flooded with too much advice and a bit overwhelmed. I have successfully built Type 1 motors, however I am learning that the Type 4 requires a lot more attention, and $$.

Originally I had planned to build a stock 1.7 but after learning about the cam being severely de-tuned I thought some small upgrades wouldn't be a bad idea. Now I am at a crossroads and not sure of the next logical step. I have already received some advise from some of you on here and I appreciate that, but I have not asked this specific question regarding springs.

My setup:
I have a 1972 1.7L VW case with Q stamped heads (which I believe were used for 914 and 411/412s.) I will be running stock dual Solex that were rebuilt by Volksbitz, as well as Vintage speed headers and Exhaust. Scat C25 cam, lifters. German rebuild kit and German main, cam, rod bearings.

Machine Shop is done cleaning the case and assembling my crank and rods. I originally purchased "HD" springs from aircooled.net which ended up not being HD due to measurements, measuring stock. Not complaining about aircooled.net, may have been a vendor mixup. Next I bought a set of Hi-Rev HD springs from SCAT which apparently are measuring inconsistently and my machine shop is concerned they will gouge the surface of the head.

My questions:
(While I appreciate my machine shop, I think his lack of type 4 experience is causing me undo headache. Everytime he calls its more questions then answers). I am also learning there is a lack of quality new Type 4 parts causing another level of frustration.

1. Do I actually need an HD spring with a C25 cam or would a new stock replacement be ok?
2. Should I run the Scat springs with shims or spacers to protect the head? Could this cause what is known as stacking or too much compression of the spring?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

What do you mean theyre not HD because of size? They should also be shimmed to your cam, there should be a spacer so they wont gouge the heads.
VW 66 Doctor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

good luck Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

jason wrote:
What do you mean theyre not HD because of size? They should also be shimmed to your cam, there should be a spacer so they wont gouge the heads.

X2 on all of these questions. "Size" measurements of the springs are not exactly indicative of whether the sprijgs are HD or not.

You need to put them in a spring tester and compress them to installed at rest height.....meaning valves closed....and then measure at half lift and full lift. And also measure how much unseating force is required to bring a closed valve at installed height just off the seat.
These are the measurements that would be compared to stock springs.

Also....yes....you need spring pocket shims to allow the slring to rotate wothout wearing the head and that shim can also be used alone or as part of a shim pack to adjust tension.

Also do not forget to check for coil bind at full lift.

As to whether you need HD springs.....I would say yes. If memory serves the stock type 4 cam is 268 duration and about .378 lift.

A web # 73 is NOT stock but is a near stock replacement for several reasons....but is a mild performance upgrade. It has 262 duration and 426 lift....and is on the fringe of being able to use a stock spring. I have driven the #73 with stock springs....and everything otherwise in stock configuration. ....and it was fine. However with very spirited driving you can experience float. It would be "safer" with HD springs.

The C25 is 272 duration and .430 lift...so yes...I would run HD springs. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

springs dont ahve to rotate, usualy you do not want them to...thus the no slip shims with serations. the machine shop may need to be changed to somebody that knows whats going on. call john and get the right springs.deburr the springs as usual and use shim or seat under the spring. do you need hd I dont have a clue Im not driving it or building it.but you do need good springs set up properly and the keepers gaped properly.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

The springs were touching the boss and fitting very tight.

You can scratch this post because I have consulted Fat Performance and just purchased cam, lifters, springs, shims, and a rocker spacer kit.

I've made some poor choices with my build with regard to performance but I now feel confident on the reliability factor of my setup after talking to Greg at Fat.

Those guys are really knowledgeable, I just wish I was pointed to them sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
springs dont ahve to rotate, usualy you do not want them to...thus the no slip shims with serations. the machine shop may need to be changed to somebody that knows whats going on. call john and get the right springs.deburr the springs as usual and use shim or seat under the spring. do you need hd I dont have a clue Im not driving it or building it.but you do need good springs set up properly and the keepers gaped properly.

In my experiences with my type 4s....letting the springs rotate helps with valve rotation and prevents excessive rotation of the keeper collet in the retainer....cutting down on wear.

I would not say either way is wrong or right....but have used the serrated non rotation spring pocket shims.....and on motors designed to run high miles....I found more wear of the retainers. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
jason wrote:

X2 on all of these questions. "Size" measurements of the springs are not exactly indicative of whether the sprijgs are HD or not.

You need to put them in a spring tester and compress them to installed at rest height.....meaning valves closed....and then measure at half lift and full lift. And also measure how much unseating force is required to bring a closed valve at installed height just off the seat.

Also....yes....you need spring pocket shims to allow the slring to rotate wothout wearing the head and that shim can also be used alone or as part of a shim pack to adjust tension.

Sorry fellas, measurement was a bad choice in words. He did place them in a spring tester and checked for binding. It was during these tests that he concluded they were not HD springs.

In conclusion, the springs I purchased from Fat Performance are a Type 1 HD spring with a spacer, which are the same springs provided to Webcam, because apparently no one is actually making Type 4 HD springs. Its all in the marketing.

Great advice, I appreciate all of the input. This will be a fun ride.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
jason wrote:

Sorry fellas, measurement was a bad choice in words. He did place them in a spring tester and checked for binding. It was during these tests that he concluded they were not HD springs.

In conclusion, the springs I purchased from Fat Performance are a Type 1 HD spring with a spacer, which are the same springs provided to Webcam, because apparently no one is actually making Type 4 HD springs. Its all in the marketing.

Great advice, I appreciate all of the input. This will be a fun ride.

Be sure this is not one person being subjective.

HD as compared to what? It needs to be as compared to stock.

From what I can see....you are building a slightly hotter than stock engine....but not a race motor.
And....as you note.....your machinist is not type 4 experienced.
You need to compare #s to a stock type 4 valve spring and not a machinist inexperienced with type 4's....idea of what an HD spring should be for something else.

Is this person checking at three heights.....loaded but stationary/valve closed, half lift and full lift/on the nose? ....and then comparing to what?
Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

Everyone has been using HD Type 1 springs on type 4s for almost 40 years, they work well. Same with Type 1 dual springs, same mod to cut the guide boss down.

If you got a HD spring from us which measured stock, it was a packaging error from the mfg. E-mail us to get it resolved.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

Thanks John I appreciate you offering to help out. Again I didn't think it was anything aircooled.net did wrong, likely a vendor sending the wrong springs or mislabeled. According to my machine shop they appear to be stock springs but I am not claiming to be an expert here. I will send the springs and Scat cam I bought from you for a refund if thats ok (since I have decided to change direction here). I will email you for follow-up.

What I ended up doing after my machine shop told me they were not HD Springs was purchasing the hi-rev spring kit directly from SCAT. Those are the actual springs that were causing my machine shop grief with the spring coming in contact with the boss and his concern over them gouging the head, and also too much compression or "stacking" as he called it.

I was starting to get frustrated at the lack of info so I decided to call Webcam to see what springs they use with their cams. I spoke to a very knowledgeable rep who told me they get their springs from Greg at Fat Performance and that I should likely call him for some additional consultation.

While Greg wasn't excited about my choice to build a 1.7L, he would have preferred I build a 1.9L or 2.0L and I can understand that since he primarily does performance engines. This isn't really a performance engine at all, and thats fine for my needs. I was, however finally getting some advice on what Cam, Spring, Lifter combo will work great with what I am doing. So I bit the bullet and bought from them.

My machine shop is actually very talented and has been in business for over 50 years, working on all makes of vehicles. While his specific Type 4 experience is weak, he calls me and has me questioning everything. He is doing everything by the book since he is borrowing my Bentley, but what he lacks is the real world experience of building Type 4 motors and to me the hard stuff really comes into the top end of what choices you make with the head, the valvetrain, etc.

At this point he has already installed the new guides and valves and has cleaned the heads very well, and confirmed there are no dropped seats, cracks, etc. Once he has the right springs, I believe all he has to do is install them utilizing the stock keepers. I think they are Bugpack performance Type 1 HD Springs but honestly the brand doesn't matter to me as long as they work.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Thanks John I appreciate you offering to help out. Again I didn't think it was anything aircooled.net did wrong, likely a vendor sending the wrong springs or mislabeled. According to my machine shop they appear to be stock springs but I am not claiming to be an expert here. I will send the springs and Scat cam I bought from you for a refund if thats ok (since I have decided to change direction here). I will email you for follow-up.

What I ended up doing after my machine shop told me they were not HD Springs was purchasing the hi-rev spring kit directly from SCAT. Those are the actual springs that were causing my machine shop grief with the spring coming in contact with the boss and his concern over them gouging the head, and also too much compression or "stacking" as he called it.

I was starting to get frustrated at the lack of info so I decided to call Webcam to see what springs they use with their cams. I spoke to a very knowledgeable rep who told me they get their springs from Greg at Fat Performance and that I should likely call him for some additional consultation.

While Greg wasn't excited about my choice to build a 1.7L, he would have preferred I build a 1.9L or 2.0L and I can understand that since he primarily does performance engines. This isn't really a performance engine at all, and thats fine for my needs. I was, however finally getting some advice on what Cam, Spring, Lifter combo will work great with what I am doing. So I bit the bullet and bought from them.

My machine shop is actually very talented and has been in business for over 50 years, working on all makes of vehicles. While his specific Type 4 experience is weak, he calls me and has me questioning everything. He is doing everything by the book since he is borrowing my Bentley, but what he lacks is the real world experience of building Type 4 motors and to me the hard stuff really comes into the top end of what choices you make with the head, the valvetrain, etc.

At this point he has already installed the new guides and valves and has cleaned the heads very well, and confirmed there are no dropped seats, cracks, etc. Once he has the right springs, I believe all he has to do is install them utilizing the stock keepers. I think they are Bugpack performance Type 1 HD Springs but honestly the brand doesn't matter to me as long as they work.

OK...so you are getting the springs sorted...but slow down for a minute.

Bear in mind...that...the Q heads were used not just on 914, 411 and 412. Some went into busses as well.

I am pointing this out...because there is virtually no scenario even if the head is from a VW 412....and all I work on is 411, 412 and 914....where I would NOT replace the valve seats automatically.

To add a double warning to that...if you have no way of knowing FOR SURE if this 1.7L were ever used in a bus........then you should be automatically replacing the valve seats. You have been warned!

That being said....do not let anyone talk you out of a 1.7L. Very Happy

Out of the stock engines....only the 2.0L 914 engine and the Euro 1.8L with carbs beat the 1.7L for power....and none of them beat it for longevity.

Also...if you can possibly get your hands on them....the domed 90mm 1.7 pistons were superb...and that dimple on the border between the quench area and the combustion chamber dish were expressly made to work WITH THE PISTON DOME.

Tightening the stock deck up about .040" (the piston edge or ring around the dome measurement to the end of the jug was .079"ish stock)....and doing some unshrouding work, going to a better cam like you are....solid rocker spacer kit...mandatory....41 x 35 or 42 x 36 valves.....all working out to 8.5:1 compression minimum....good exhaust and a much better ignition....and get some Porsche swivel feet adjusters.....and lastly make sure your valves have hardened/stellited tips.

That engine with good carbs or well tuned ful injection should make 100hp with about 110-115 lbs of torque ... and be dead reliable.
Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

many machine shops have been in bizness for many years. that dosent mean they know squat. Shocked sorry but thats a fact. Ive known many of them.I had a old friend that worked at one possiably his entire life.and when he built his boat motor I asked him what he sets it up like.....his reply wasent good.I told him it probably wasent going to work....he wasent happy and.....said I didnt know what I was talking abput as he had been doing this his hole life.....so he brought us the motor to install&breakin....it seezied about 1/4 mile out Shocked just as I had told him...... and then the shit hit the fan.... I explaned what he did rong on the entire engine without ever taking it appart. a week lator he came by our machine shop ( part of a performance marina) and appoligized... everything I had told him was effed up exzactly as I discribed it would be... he then called mercury racing and a few other's and then came buy to see me..he found out the hard way, just because you do something for a living dosent mean you know shit or can do it right.
Ive seen somuch stuff screwed up at "exspurt machine shops" it's sickening. Ive seen and heard somany exscuses from you effed it up to those parts just could not handle all that raw power you have now.
Your machine shop should of known the tight fit of the springs was nothing, just a guide boss cutter witch is a normal procedure on somany engines execpt for the mazda rotery. what else didnt they know?
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
many machine shops have been in bizness for many years. that dosent mean they know squat. Shocked sorry but thats a fact. Ive known many of them.I had a old friend that worked at one possiably his entire life.and when he built his boat motor I asked him what he sets it up like.....his reply wasent good.I told him it probably wasent going to work....he wasent happy and.....said I didnt know what I was talking abput as he had been doing this his hole life.....so he brought us the motor to install&breakin....it seezied about 1/4 mile out Shocked just as I had told him...... and then the shit hit the fan.... I explaned what he did rong on the entire engine without ever taking it appart. a week lator he came by our machine shop ( part of a performance marina) and appoligized... everything I had told him was effed up exzactly as I discribed it would be... he then called mercury racing and a few other's and then came buy to see me..he found out the hard way, just because you do something for a living dosent mean you know shit or can do it right.
Ive seen somuch stuff screwed up at "exspurt machine shops" it's sickening. Ive seen and heard somany exscuses from you effed it up to those parts just could not handle all that raw power you have now.
Your machine shop should of known the tight fit of the springs was nothing, just a guide boss cutter witch is a normal procedure on somany engines execpt for the mazda rotery. what else didnt they know?

I agree. Really you have that in just about any industry. Doing something over and over again for years does not mean you are good at it.

That said, It is what it is at this point. I've basically hired a guy to clean, measure, and ultimately install parts I researched and sourced. It's all good I will set the motor up fine and she will run. At this point he just needs to install these springs and we can part ways.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
you should be automatically replacing the valve seats. You have been warned!

agree 100%

stop by the shop and I'll show you why..
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

the motor up fine and she will run. At this point he just needs to install these springs and we can part ways.......... it realy dosent take much for a motor to run. It isant the guy building , it isant the machines used, it isant the clean or dirty floor or the screatery answering the phones. there is no majick of any color. it's not just installing parts or paying the bill. there's a lot to it but in the end it's still pretty simple. good luck. I hope it works out for you.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Scat C25 - recommended springs Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
the motor up fine and she will run. At this point he just needs to install these springs and we can part ways.......... it realy dosent take much for a motor to run. It isant the guy building , it isant the machines used, it isant the clean or dirty floor or the screatery answering the phones. there is no majick of any color. it's not just installing parts or paying the bill. there's a lot to it but in the end it's still pretty simple. good luck. I hope it works out for you.

I agree...but With regard to valve seat replacement...its not a question of whether it will run. It will run fine without changing the seats.....but the question is how long.

Type 4 heads.....and this is almost entirely related to overheating by running in a bus....are notorious for losing valve seats. If that happens at highway speed...you can be f'd.

This is not a type 1. Good type 1 head...new ones...are easy simple and cheap to find...or for that matter pistons cases and cranks.

Type 4 heads good used....are getting virtually impossible to find and are not cheap. Type heads new....good ones...will set you back $2000-3000.

Replacing type 4 seats has long ago migrated from just being good insurance to common sense investment in longevity. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: