Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a wolfsburg west kit for my 36hp engine fitted, but I am not so pleased with the exhaust ports.

The exhaust ports are off centre, which results in the fact that the exhaust is restricting the exhaust gas and thus resulting in less power output.

Does anyone else have the same issue? See pictures

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have contacted WW but they say it doesn't hurt and all of the heads have the same...

not so happy...

I was thinking to have an off centre flange to be laser cut so the pipes do align again. but that is in regards to solutions...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

So WW knows of the issue, and just told you not to worry about it? Shocked

I know changing a casting mold cost $$, but that seems like something that should have been caught at the prototype stage....
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

I have been buying aftermarket VW parts for 30 years now. It is more often than not I have to do some modification. I would have done some porting to fix the issue... But that's no excuse for WW...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

When did you buy them? The pair I bought back in April are perfectly centered. I also had them ported/polished though

That stinks though, I wouldn't be happy either
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

may not be the casting but rather not quite machined in the "perfect" location.shouldent realy hurt squat.Ive seen way worse that that.but for the prices we have to pay for stuff, you want it right. slotting the header holes can also help. perhaps some of the real heads were also off a tad and their just trying to make a production run like in years gone by.....funny how all this modern tech hasent realy helped stuff like that.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
When did you buy them? The pair I bought back in April are perfectly centered. I also had them ported/polished though

That stinks though, I wouldn't be happy either

While those ports seem to be an extreme case, most all 36hp heads do need a bit of port work to make them match the exhaust. That is true on stock factory as well as any aftermarket. Original 36hp head exhaust port size is around 28mm and is rarely centered, that appears to be how the WW castings were made to be like. I usually open up the exhuast ports to the 1600 stock exhaust gasket size of 32mm.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

That's a anti-reversion lip! watch out or WW will start charging more for them. Shhh Shhh
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

The heads are produced in 2009, so might be an early production. Also had issues with the thin facing where the cylinder touches the head.

As the ports do have a bigger diameter then the J tubes from the heaterboxes, I will use bigger diameter pipe and then match that with the heads.

this picture and text below I received from WW as a reply to my question, this is a brand new head. Not so bad, but still not centered;

Please find the photo attached from our new production cylinder heads. The gasket fits the same as your head from 2009.

If you wish to have the ports matched this would solve the problem. Honestly though we have run multiple engines with the same hole spacing and not had any problems.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

as long as that gasket isant protruding into the port it's fine.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: W West Okrasa 36hp heads exhaust ports off centre Reply with quote

plans so far are now to update the heater boxes with a 32mm inner diameter J tubes, and also use the same pipe for cylinder 2 and 4 and weld that into an original muffler, so all pipes have equal length and inner diameter. This will increase the flow roughly 30 percent, that is what I need for the okrasa project roughly, so it will rev up higher and have a bit more power output
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: