Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition and Steering Wheel Locked
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Ignition and Steering Wheel Locked Reply with quote

Hi all,

I remember this happening to my 412 in high school, and it seemed to be far easier to get it out than it is now. Basically, I turned the steering wheel too far in one direction when the car was off (was trying to start it). I got the dreaded "click"... Now when I insert the key in the ignition and attempt to start the car, the key will not turn. The steering wheel will not turn, either.

Any ideas on how I can remedy this situation?

Thanks!
Loren
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition and Steering Wheel Locked Reply with quote

Yes...so if you have the wheel locked all the way over.....turned one direction.....or pretty close....because of the spring of the tires and the castor/steering box function there is some tension that is applied by the steering linkage to try to return the wheel to center.

This pressure is bearing against the locking pawl or bar that drops into the slotted ring that is welded to the steering column. In short there is too much side load on the locking bar for you to be able to move the locking bar by turning the key like normal.

The trick is to keep turning the wheel in the direction it was turned...even if its all the way at its lock/stop. Apply pressure to the steering wheel in the direction you have it turned...and then try t turn the key.

Also to add to this....its really common with age.....for the plunger section that surrounds the keyhole...to stay pushed inward when you remove the key. It gets gummed up with age. This means that the steering wheel will not lock most of the times when you pull the key out. That plunger section can get locked into the pushed in position with grime, grit and dust or even rust.

People get used to the wheel not locking and never notice it. At the same time the inner mechanism can can spring inward and lock normally....and since the outer plunger section is frozen with grime...you may nut be able to disengage the inner locking bar.

Typically 90% of the time applying further turning pressure to take the load off the inner locking bar gets it unlocked.

Then you need to remove the lock assembly, clean it, dry it and lube it with graphite and it will function much better. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition and Steering Wheel Locked Reply with quote

You're right - I pushed on it like an SOB and simultaneously turned the key and it worked.

Thanks, as always,
Loren
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: