Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OK to reuse coolant clamps?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

I am replacing some coolant hoses and wanted to know if the clamps are ok in general to reuse.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
I am replacing some coolant hoses and wanted to know if the clamps are ok in general to reuse.

unless they is damaged, go for it. they should work fine in reuse.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Are you talking the OEM spring type clamps ?

I reused almost all of mine. I also used the correct Wurth style smooth faced clamps elsewhere when needed.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

"Overtighten" it just a little to prove it's still good, then back it off to proper tightness.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Sorry I should have been clear, these are the spring type clamps. I guess I was thinking metal fatigue on them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Stephenmarklay wrote:
Sorry I should have been clear, these are the spring type clamps. I guess I was thinking metal fatigue on them.

Metal fatigue occurs from repeated cycles, hundreds of thousands, or millions of cycles. A spring clamp is cycles a few times. Often less than 10 times, it can't really "fatigue" unless its been overstretched. Metal fatigue is a "specific technical term" but it's not the right word for an overstretched thus damaged spring clamp.

I understand you want to know how you can assess if an old spring clamp is still fit for duty. I can't really 'write that' on a post other than, "does it still feel springy?" Sorry I know that's not much help. Laughing Laughing Does it have enough tension to compress into the rubber a little? Try to pull the hose off after clamped.

I've re-used them many times. I have used two spring clamps on one connection before, simply because I had two clamps.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
cyrus #1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Fatigue isn't really much of an issue unless you abuse them. I have seen some where the tab that prevents them from opening too far has been ground off or bent down. Doing this and forcing them fully open can possibly stretch them and cause less tension.

As mentioned, go ahead and re-use them. You shouldn't have any problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone that makes sense. Case closed Smile

I will reuse the originals.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

I'm going to piggy back on this. I did my whole cooling system with the "bad" clamps before I knew any better. What would be the easiest way to swap them all out? Would it be worth doing? Sounds like a ton of trouble...

What are the "Wurth" clamps, and where can you get them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

The spring clamps have stops on them which will not allow over extension. They can be reused as much as you like as long as they aren't abused.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

fFYI... I recently replace the pressurized coolant reservoir and re-use the OEM spring type clamp (the bottom one)... it leaks.. so I replace the clamp then no more leak...

I think metal fatigue on a 25 year old clamp is the cause. Clamps are cheap, it's safe to replace them now rather on the road.. the ones you didn't touch it they will be fine..
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

I've said this before but I'll say it again.

Intellectually I know that spring clamps are better than screw style through the heat cool cycles of a hose. They in theory just keep squeezing. The temperatures involved in a cooling system are low as far as metal temper being affected go.

But, when I was a much younger man I had some "run in's" with the US style spring clamps used as OE back in the 60's and 70's.
I had one break on me and I was "bit" many times by them.
Keep in mind these were the wire style not the flat German style.

Anyway, I developed a distaste for spring clamps and have NEVER reinstalled them if I had another option.

There is something very satisfying about twisting a screw until it is tight.

FWIW......
There is a newer screw clamp that utilizes a spring on the screw to mimic the performance of a spring clamp.
I used some of these for my fuel tank fill system when I eliminated the rubber grommets and went to steel fittings. Very nice, albeit expensive, clamps!

Constant tension clamps....

http://www.global-hose.com/silicone-hose-clamps

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

In certain parts of the country spring clamps are subject to rust and thus have a fairly short life. They sometimes will just outright crack and fail as well. They are sill my preferred clamp though. Each clamp only has a very narrow range where it will work correctly, if your replacement hose is thicker or thinner than the stock hose you may run into problem either getting the clamp to fit on over the thicker hose or having enough pressure to keep a leak from occurring on a thinner hose.

One trick I have used when using standard screw clamps is the cut a strip out of an old oil or antifreeze jug and use it under the clamp to keep the clamp from digging in to the hose.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
In certain parts of the country spring clamps are subject to rust and thus have a fairly short life. They sometimes will just outright crack and fail as well. They are sill my preferred clamp though. Each clamp only has a very narrow range where it will work correctly, if your replacement hose is thicker or thinner than the stock hose you may run into problem either getting the clamp to fit on over the thicker hose or having enough pressure to keep a leak from occurring on a thinner hose.

One trick I have used when using standard screw clamps is the cut a strip out of an old oil or antifreeze jug and use it under the clamp to keep the clamp from digging in to the hose.

Good thought as I am going to use the gates green stripe and I am not sure how that will work with the spring clamps.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Spring type are OK. Probably faster for factory assembly. If the last guy had a special spring clamp tool he could leave it in a position that regular pliers can't get to. Been there. Worm/screw type are pretty easy to use.

Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I've said this before but I'll say it again.

Intellectually I know that spring clamps are better than screw style through the heat cool cycles of a hose. They in theory just keep squeezing. The temperatures involved in a cooling system are low as far as metal temper being affected go.

But, when I was a much younger man I had some "run in's" with the US style spring clamps used as OE back in the 60's and 70's.
I had one break on me and I was "bit" many times by them.
Keep in mind these were the wire style not the flat German style.

Anyway, I developed a distaste for spring clamps and have NEVER reinstalled them if I had another option.

There is something very satisfying about twisting a screw until it is tight.

FWIW......
There is a newer screw clamp that utilizes a spring on the screw to mimic the performance of a spring clamp.
I used some of these for my fuel tank fill system when I eliminated the rubber grommets and went to steel fittings. Very nice, albeit expensive, clamps!

Constant tension clamps....

http://www.global-hose.com/silicone-hose-clamps

Dave

FWIW, I'm with Dave. I reinstalled the stock spring clamps on my van when installing new cooling hoses. I had not one, but two leaks! I didn't want to drain and refill my system so installed new tension style clamps alongnside the old and cut the old spring clamps off with a side cutter.

I live in sunny California and the clamps looked brand new. I think that a combination of new hoses and the tension the stock clamps provided was just not enough for the system pressure.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

I just bought a new Toyota Prius this week and look what is holding the hoses tight!

I guess I should finally embrace the spring clamp?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

It looks like that clamp is designed to be setup open with the two pieces latched together holding it open, slipped over the pipe, then released like a spring? Interesting.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

Metal fatigue occurs from repeated cycles, a dozen or so if the metal goes past a certain limit (for most steels, not beyond that limit, the # cycles has to approach a million for a problem to occur) - not so with Al, Mg, Ti, etc. only steel is the miracle metal

like a paper clip that you pull all the way open

do not worry about a stock clamp in good condition - unless somebody has been using it for a satanic ritual or some weird elongation fetish

Now, what if it is not a stock clamp?

- not all clamps are good for the hose, so post pics of any non-stock clamps and people willl let you know
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to reuse coolant clamps? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
fFYI... I recently replace the pressurized coolant reservoir and re-use the OEM spring type clamp (the bottom one)... it leaks.. so I replace the clamp then no more leak...

I think metal fatigue on a 25 year old clamp is the cause. Clamps are cheap, it's safe to replace them now rather on the road.. the ones you didn't touch it they will be fine..

it takes a few cycles for fatigue failure, I monkeyed around with these clamps forcing them open and forth many times, never had one fatigue fail ever. under normal,use they are not near at the strain for fatigue to set in as a problem

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: