Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edokmak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

Couldnt find anything on this so if anyone has any links that would be awesome. im redoing all of my suspension and brakes and will be lowering my car a decent amount. will stock shocks still function properly or is there a different length i should be looking for? thanks guys
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

yes, stock works great - but how low are you going?
edokmak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

as low as i can get it without being too ridiculous to drive daily. Im not set on it being totally slammed.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

I used stock in the front and GR2's in the back when I had my slammed notchback years ago. I know people also use the Monroe 5752 (barndoor bus) for the front, so they are like stock ride just shorter. You can get those anywhere, like Orielley's. the 5752 part number is the same at Napa, their brand is OESpectrum. I suspect that with the same part number, they are all the same oil filled shock made in the same place, just different names

Also, this is for the front only, and not for drop spindles. Drop spindles, definitely the stock shock size
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

If you keep it to a 2 spline drop (inners or outer splines), then stock will work. It's IF you want to go lower that you need the shorter shocks.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

whatever you decide from the suggestions, I would run an oil shock vs a gas shock, they ride smoother in my experience on a lowered car. The gas always seem to pushing up and ride a little stiffer, but would corner better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

Absolutely agree. Oil shock in the front
stonecoldcars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: stock shocks on a lowered notchback? or alternative? Reply with quote

I modified type 1 bug lowered shocks on my fasty. You have to add a bushing on the lower mount and drill out the upper bushing to a larger diameter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: