Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

13 inch paddle tire for baja?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman7474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

I was gifted a set of old jackmans that are 13 inch. Put them up for sale a while ago and no one wants them so I thought I might try and throw some paddles on them and take the new baja build to the dunes.

I think there are 13 inch paddles around but for UTV and SxS applications so I guess the weight is comparable but the motor isn't so much. It is a brand new 1776 build (don't have all the specifics yet). I'm not trying to climb comp hill or anything, just want to run a dune or two.

I am having a hell of a time finding 13 inch paddles. Any suggestions?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

13 inch deep or 13 inch diameter?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

Generally 13 in paddles refers to 13.00 x 15 nominal tire size. Tire section width, not rim or tire diameter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=13.00+15+paddle+ti...p;tbm=shop

Try any VW offroad parts house: Dan's Performance, Moore Parts, Pacific Customs, I'm sure there are a few in Vegas...

Check the offroad parts classifieds on here.

Ignore the UTV stuff.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
waterman7474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

Sorry guys, 13 diameter... They are about 7 wide. (probably should clarify the ad now)

Did LOTS of searching here and all over the interwebs...almost no luck.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

With paddles that small, you won't have any flotation. This can lead to burying the Baja quite a bit. A heavy car like a Baja in the sand needs traction and flotation. For myself I would put flotation first. You would be better off to start with bigger wheels. If you do stick with these, always remember to stop with the nose pointing down hill. If you don't, when you take off, the paddles will dig little holes in the sand, and you will be sitting on the pan in a blink of an eye.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

I bet you could do some good with some. I personally prefer big paddles with lots of flotation, but I've driven some Buggys where guys set them up with smaller paddles they could spin the hell out of. It's different, but not necessarily bad. The main difference is I can take off from half way up any hill I want to and they have to be careful where they stop.

A friend of mine runs 11" wide sand viper paddles I bet the side by side paddles perform better than they do. He's running a mild 1600 and stock trans so he needed something short to keep the gears reasonable. Most those side by side paddles are 26" tall and that's probably perfect for a smaller engine buggy. It's a shame STU doesn't make a 1300+ paddle that's only 26 tall.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
waterman7474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 13 inch paddle tire for baja? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

I think I'm just gonna try and sell them to someone that will use them on the street or strip and get some proper paddles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: