Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman7474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

This might belong in the engine forum but here goes anyway.

My baja is in the process of a remodel and getting a fresh 1776 upgrade. The motor is being heavily built on the premise of reliability (don't have full details on internals yet). He is putting on a off-road tri-mil but without any silencing and leaving it up to me as to what to add to it.

I have read a bit about supertrapp clamp on units but i'm a little concerned about noise. While I don't want an full open pipe, I don't necessarily have an issue with it being too loud, but this build is being set up so that I can take the family and have a 3 and 5 y/o and "BLAAAAAAA BLAAAAAAAAAAA" might not go over too well, pretty quickly. That being said, I don't want a full "quiet pack" either and just because the motor isn't wrung out for power, I don't necessarily want to choke the life out of it either. I do need a spark arrestor out here as well.

There is also the high possibility of getting some paddles and heading to the dunes.

So, recommendations?

Thanks,
flynn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Turndown with some kind of turbo muffler. Or a small flowmaster or magnaflo.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Definitely something that turns down anything that is point up will be a water catcher....... In national forests and most off road parks you will need something that is a approved silencer or spark arrestor...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Glass packs are the only thing in between a Supertrapp and a quiet pack, but they are not forest approved. Just go with a quiet pack. VW engines are naturally noisy so you'll still hear it.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong boys, but wouldn't a flowmaster meet the Rangers specs? Good enough for a full size truck right?
Brian71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I put a 4" diameter 18" long supertrapp on my 2332 turbo, and that turned the volume down quite a bit. You can add or subtract discs to adjust volume and flow characteristics too.
waterman7474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong boys, but wouldn't a flowmaster meet the Rangers specs? Good enough for a full size truck right?

I was kinda wondering if there was some sort of smallish flowmaster that would work. Something (not a fart can...) that would like work on a smallish asian type import.
It is starting to look like a quiet pack is the way to go. Unless the supertrap can be done like Brian said with a lot of discs. The supertrapps are just so expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Maybe a two chamber flowmaster. I think the 10 series would be a little loud.
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I ran my 2276 with trimil and turn down to a summit racing turbo style muffler. I have also used the chambered muffler (its slightly louder). For the price its worth a try. https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/summit-r...=Ascending
Donald Mace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I used the long s/s muffler from empi then welded a sprint car super trap on the end. Not too loud and can go to any state park with no problems
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I use a 2 chamber Flowmaster attatched to the pipe from a baja quiet pack muffler. You will want to put a turndown or something after the Flowmaster to quiet it down some. Look at the blue buggy in my gallery.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

As I have suggested before. A downturn bend on the collector and put on a 2" Thrush Turbo muffler.

- Meets Forest Service and BLM regs.
- Moderately quiet.
- Lightweight.
- Inexpensive.
- Readily available.
- And sounds cool too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Bmxmarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Hate to revive this but why not go with the trimil muffler or glasspack? I have the stinger with the baffle in it and I'm about to order either the glass pack or the muffler from them.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I too have the tri mil stinger on a buggy. At first it had no baffle with a spark arrestor. In this configuration it's stupid loud and wholly inappropriate for the street. Next I added a baffle. This shut it up some but it's still on par with some attention craving dentists Harley AKA still way too loud.

So as soon as I find a suitably sized muffler I'll be doing the 180 degree bend thing.

Last edited by Krochus on Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I run this on my fiberglass manx style buggy.... I can actually hear my Weber going "full tilt" over sound of my exhaust...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I run this on my fiberglass manx style buggy.... I can actually hear my Weber going "full tilt" over sound of my exhaust...

Dale

The problem with something ready made like this for me is you'd never know if it'd clear the chassis without buying it and finding out the hard way.

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

I had glass packs on my '97 Mustang. Took it to a shop for an alignment. guy drove it around the block, I heard an incredibly loud car. Thinking "Get a muffler motherflogger" and my car comes around the corner.

took it straight to Midas after the alignment. Flowmaster C 40s. Basso profundo rumble, not loud but sounds like a POd panther.

When the fiberglass burned out the tubes in the glasspack that held the fiberglass clanged around like bells. drives you nuts.

as noted above, a turbo muffler as used on Tri-mill bobcats works great

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler / silencer recommendatoin for tri-mil Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

The problem with something ready made like this for me is you'd never know if it'd clear the chassis without buying it and finding out the hard way.

A muffler and few bent pieces of tubing a few welds... Problem solved...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: